New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabi Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been thinking about buying a couple of rifles from Sabi for a while and would to know what you all think about them.

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
holzer375,

They are excellent weapons - I own one in a .270

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
I have a look at their rifles every year at the Aim Show and they look nicely put together.
A buddy of mine had them build him a left hand 404 and he had a bit of hassle with their service, but other than that I have heard more positive than negative reports about them.
Alan Henry of Natal Gun Company puts together some superb big game rifles.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Been told by a Zim PH that they are very good.
One of his friends, another Zim PH owns one in .500Jefferys.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They built both my .500 & my .404 Jeffery for me and I can't recommend their work or their customer service highly enough... they really are fantastic! - Esp for the prices they charge!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the details of the actions used please?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

They come with a choice of actions, I was going to go for the Mauser 98. But they also offer Montana, CZ 550 and Sporting Mauser actions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mausers built by...?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I do not like their style at all, prefering a more classic style. I have used Gerrie Coetzee in Bloemfontein RSA for all my custom work, as I also do not care for the work of Namibian gunsmiths. Luckily custom guns are build for the individual, and I have a very specific taste, so most guys are happy with what I do not like,

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I would not know. Check out sabi web - www.sabirifles.co.za.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 458 Lott built by them. I would highly recommend their work. I have the standard K98 action which fits the Lott perfectly.

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sabi do very good work, however, unless you are willing to wait a long time or live near to them you are going to wait a hell of a long time. The Montana actions are listed on the website but i gave up waiting after 18 months without any of them landing. I believe this was a Montana problem, but the info should have been conveyed when the request was put in.

I still think that Alan Henry builds better finished rifles and if you can call them a more traditional rifle. If you look at the 450 rigby that featured on the cover of magnum some months back you will see the classic lines, a beautiful peice. He is however more expensive and you are going to wait just as long.
Eugene is a great guy and the faily has had its fair share of problems over the last few years, if you like what they do and are willing to pay for their best work, they you will be happy.However their high end stuff with unlimited time and budgets is very different to their lower cost rifles.
Most of their rifles are built on old military actions and I may be wrong but they have quite a large stock of vz 24 actions that they are pushing through.

I ended up going with Paul Nothnagel of GI wapensmid, he is crap at communication and its not easy to get stuff out of him, but he builds some of the best working rifles around and makes sure they feed right first time. He is however half the distance away from me that Sabi is. In your situation I would choose to go with Sabi as they will be the closest smiths to you and you will be able to get to them without too much hassle. Just look at the results Steve has had living in their town.
Good luck
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Danie Joubert in Pretoria at any time!

A great Artist that knows how to build side lock double rifles from scratch!

http://www.daniejoubert.com/

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holzer,

Check your PM box.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
I would recommend Danie Joubert in Pretoria at any time!

A great Artist that knows how to build side lock double rifles from scratch!

http://www.daniejoubert.com/

I see NO DR on the site. Confused

Jack

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack!

Here is one in the White:

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SA has a number of great gunsmiths in various different parts of the country who know their stuff and offer good value for money all things considered. Some are good metalsmiths and others better with wood, do your research and play to the strengths of the different guys and you will be pleasantly surprised by what the guys in SA can produce.

This is a 458 Lott based on a ZKK 602 and has been worked on by a few different craftsman in SA to produce the end result

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote