THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is your favourite DG to hunt..?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favourite DG to hunt..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
DG is the pinnacle of African hunting for many of us...

Many of you have done it all....several times..

What game gave the best experience/thrill..?

Question:
What gives you the most thrill..?

Pachyderms, cape buffalo hippo or cats..?

Rhino is pretty much history..

Choices:
Elephant
Cape buffalo
Lion
Leopard
Hippo

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted ele...very exciting..so its my take..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hunting big elephant is my pinnacle...

But hunting buffalo is what I have done the most of.

Enjoy both. Tracking game for me.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Without question, I like hunting bull elephants the best.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me nothing beats having a big male lion come onto your bait at last light.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant, nothing even comes close. I've taken 7, started out with tuskless, then PAC, then one trophy, last three have been non-trophy bulls. There is a feeling that I can't describe following a big track with deep cracks, the sign getting fresher then you hear a branch break, ears slapping against his side. When you decide you are going in to under 20 yds. for the shot is such a great high that no drug or alcohol can reach it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt elephant, be it tuskers or tuskless, they are awesome to be in the midst of when hunting them

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Jumbo

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Elephant - by a very large margin ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain Gorilla

Amur Tiger

Giant Panda

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to be women!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Elephant, buffalo and lion all get one's blood going.

But, as both lion and elephants are in short supply, I enjoy hunting buffalo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Used to be women!

just dangerous game.... not incredibly savage sneaky life threatening financially devastating. Game.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them all. However, elephant is my favorite by a wide, wide margin.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
I like them all. However, elephant is my favorite by a wide, wide margin.

I was pretty much going to say this, but the last buff I shot was ten feet away, and I was laying on my belly in the grass of a river bed bank. It was a herd of twenty ish bulls, and was pretty damn exciting.

Really a toss up between that and the elephants. Both have a lot of tracking - walking - hunting skill required. Lions have a lot of sitting up all night involved, not so much skill based, maybe I would like tracking them better, instead of hunting hung baits.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 348 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Walking the dark path leading to a blind knowing that the Lion is near by is thrilling. Add that to his reverberating Roar at close quarters and you will know fear.

Tracking one or two in grass or cover will evoke emotion. Tracking a wounded Lion will scare you shitless.

Lion have the uncanny ability to melt into their environment. They are quick and powerful.

Having said that it has been the hippo that has caused me most concern.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Love hunting Ele and Buff, even voted Ele BUT tracking Lion is awesome

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a number of elephants, lion and buffalo.

Under normal circumstances, everything goes smoothly and the hunt ends just as it should.

But, with all three animals, if things don't quite go according to plan - any of them can turn the tables on you, and you better be on your toes and shoot quickly and accurately.

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot leopard, hippo, tuskless, and 3 buffalo. I enjoyed the buf the most but I imagine hunting bull elephant would be the best.

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 nights hunting crop-raiding ellie in Zim back in 2003. That was probably the most intense (i.e. puckering) hunting I've ever done.

I still like buffalo the best, just because of their (buffalo) attitude.

But to be fair I've only killed one elli and two buffs.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its all good. I put ele #1, as I really enjoy being on the track. Same with Cape Buff. Both are hunted with your feet. Leopard and lion on bait are both unique. Both require baiting and long days afield. Long hours of boredom with a few moments of adrenaline fueled frenzy. Like I said, ITS ALL GOOD

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them all the same.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I voted elephant, serious adrenaline rush & really requires a lot of tracking (i.e. walking!)

Not sure if this is exactly correct or where it came from:

You hunt Buffalo with your courage
You hunt Leopard with your brain
You hunt Lion with your heart
You hunt Elephant with your feet!

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have hunted everything on the list except hippo. Cats are so different, I don't see how to compare them to elephant and buffalo. While it would be hard to make a choice, I still have a strong desire to hunt lion (I've only hunted lion once, unsuccessfully), elephant and buffalo. I'm a bit burned out on leopard after my last one. We sat him 8 times and only took him on day 13. But, I'll do it again.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, with all three animals, if things don't quite go according to plan - any of them can turn the tables on you, and you better be on your toes and shoot quickly and accurately.

Very Capstick-ish... :-)

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have to say lion by tracking

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have enough experience yet to make a valid assessment or contibution to this post. I have only hunted and taken Lion, Leopard and Buffalo.

But if forced to choose, I guess I like Buffalo hunting the best (so far...).

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this is even a debate, the answer is so OBVIOUS!!! Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Aaron: Big Grin. Well, having hunted them all, and some numerous times, I'd have to say Buffalo is my favorite at the moment. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I've hunted lion exactly once. I hope it's not the last time, but it's a lot of work.

Unfortunately, I was hunting leopard at the same time. That's a lot of work too.

To complicate matters, while not an unusual situation, we had leopards hitting lion baits and lions paying attention to leopard baits.

I like hunting cats. I like hunting buffalo and elephant. Very different.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Tuskless elephant in the thick jess bush of the Zambezi Valley.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Tuskless elephant in the thick jess bush of the Zambezi Valley.

me too.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder what it would have been like back in the olden days following up a wounded tiger in a thick Asian jungle?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nothing can top hunting elephant or lion.

Tracking only, of course.

Tracking them up to close range for a kill may go either way, and at any time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion scares the heck out of me as do elephants. I have only hunted elephants once but really close for my tastes- 10 yards in thick stuff. Anyway, I doubt I hunt them again preferring eland and buff and bushbuck.

Posts: 10264 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted DG but I have seen them and also tiger, Indian Elephant & Indian leopard.

The only DG that gave me a real dangerous experience was when we were charged by 3 cow elephants in India & the Jeep was chased. The cows were less than 2 meters from me as I sat at the back of the Jeep & we passed them while they were charging us and trying to cut us off.

I can still feel the heat and smell the dust after more than 30 years!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me any of the top four choices offers a unique adventure. I will say all of the top four. Hippo not so much.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Cape Buffalo

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
For me any of the top four choices offers a unique adventure. I will say all of the top four. Hippo not so much.

The only time I have ever been stunned, and seen stars float in front of my eyes, was while hunting a hippo!

We were in the Selous, in long grass that grows around the river inlets.

Some of these inlets had very little water, and the grass was extremely thick in places, one needs to have his hands ahead of his eyes to be able to see a few inches ahead.

We saw an old bull running towards the main river, and we thought we could cut him off before he got there.

So we ran through that long grass.

Suddenly, I felt a hard whack at the back of my head, saw millions of stars floating in my eyes, and was just wondering what had happened.

I then discovered that I had fallen into a hole that was at least 2 feet longer than myself, and had hit the back of my head against it as I fell in.

I managed to drag myself out - none one else was around as nothing further than 6 inches ahead of could be seen.

The hippo got away. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

I've never been that mad at a hippo!