THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Weatherby Euro Mark in 416 Weatherby Mag

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Euro Mark in 416 Weatherby Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for advice on a DG rifle. I am a lefty and looking to get a rifle for a future hunting in Africa. I have limited experience with guns, and none with any caliber above a 30-06. Has there been any changes in the minimum caliber for DG? Is there much difference between the 416 Rigby and the 416 Weatherby? How difficult is it to get ammmo. Can anyone direct me to a good web site with info on large calibers? I have found a left hand Weatherby in 416 Weatherby mag. Can anyone give me an idea of the value of such a gun and if it would make a good DG rifle?

Thanks
George

Posts: 26 | Location: Pittsburgh PA USA | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Like you George I'm a lefty but the biggest thing that I shoot is a 300 WSM. I looked at all of the DG calibers and figured that being sble to buy an off the shelf item that wouldn't kill at both ends (recoil) was the best bet for me, so I ordered a 375 H&H. I decided on a M70 classic, Safari Express. The good news; Winchester is making and shipping left handed ones right now. The bad news; they don't make them every year, so don't wait too long to decide.

Posts: 12591 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have found a left hand Weatherby in 416 Weatherby mag.
George

Run the other way!!!

Your best affordable option is to get a left handed Model 70 classic (controlled feed) and have it rebarreled it to whatever caliber you wish by a DGR expert. Since you are not already a big bore fanatic like some of us, I would suggest a .375 H&H.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
George,
It would be tough to comment on the value of the gun you're looking at, but I would really caution you about jumping into that one if you haven't had experience with heavy recoiling rifles.
While the case capacity is quite similar, the .416 Wby. Mag. runs a little higher pressure and therefore a little higher velocity than the .416 Rigby. All that adds up to more recoil in the Weatherby.
Even if it has a brake I would suggest you try to shoot one before you buy one. That much recoil can be quite a project to get used to.

Hope that helps.

Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote