Tools

Farmer's encounter with a python
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Farmer’s encounter with a python
By RACKSON SHAMUTUKU

From The Times of Zambia

PYTHONS are dangerous snakes. They are large and muscular, and kill their prey by squeezing, or constricting, until they suffocate.

Although most pythons feed on small mammals, some large species can kill and swallow small pigs and goats. Rarely have they killed human beings.

Attacks on humans do not occur frequently because a python does not attack unless it senses danger, in which case they end up swallowing humans such as small children, teenagers, or thin adults.

They are often found near water bodies like lakes, streams or rivers. But in most cases, they prefer living in woodlands and grassland areas in such rainy places like the Zambia Forestry and Industry Corporation (ZAFFICO) plantations or Chichele in Ndola Rural.

Oscar Chilima, 36, of Chifubu Township in Ndola survived an attack by a python after he saw it as it was about to strike him.

He had gone to the field in the Mishishi Farm area to harvest sweet potatoes when the python attempted to pin him down.

Narrating the ordeal, Mr Chilima of house number CH 3725, said he decided to accompany his wife and three children to the fields last Saturday around 10:00 hours to harvest sweet potatoes.

“Once in the field, we started to work and we worked very well until when we were jabout to knock off. I decided to rest a bit and sat next to my wife while our children continued digging for sweet potatoes.

“I heard some noise in the grass behind me and when I turned to see where the noise was coming from, I saw a snake, its head raised and wanting to attack me. I shouted and ran for safety together with my wife and children,” he narrated.

“I returned to check what type of a snake it was and I noticed that the serpent was about three metres long and had a bulge in the torso as though it had swallowed something. This was when I realised that it was a python. Until then I had only heard about it.

“When I first hit it, the creature got enraged and started charging towards me. I got a hoe and hit it somewhere in the middle before aiming for the forehead where I struck it twice before it died,” he said.

“That done, I called my wife and the children who were standing at a distance to come and see how big the snake was.

‘‘I just had to kill it or it was going to be dangerous for my children who sometimes go to the field unaccompanied,” he narrated.

“I dragged the serpent all the way home for people to see, so they do not send their children to the fields unaccompanied. I also wanted to know what it was that the snake swallowed which made its stomach to bulge,” Mr Chilima said.

In the early hours the next day, Mr Chilima with the help of others slit open the snake’s stomach only to find a near-rotten impala.

It was then that scores of residents in Mr Chilima’s neighbourhood converged at his residence demanding to be given pieces of the python flesh, which is widely believed to be a cure for many diseases.
But Mr Chilima refused to give them python flesh, calling the act as primitive and advising people to go to the hospital for treatment instead of using animal parts.

“I thank God for giving me the strength to kill this snake because it was going to kill me or it was going to pounce on one of my children. God, therefore, revealed it to me.

‘‘I don’t usually follow my family when they go to work at the fields, but this time I followed and I want to believe it was on God’s purpose so that he can reveal this serpent to me,” Mr Chilima said.

His wife Agnes, still trembling with fear from the incident, said she could not believe such a big serpent lived in the field where she used to go alone and some times with children.

“I’m scared although I helped my husband to pull the snake home. It was too heavy he could not drag it alone. It is difficult to understand.

‘‘The snake was crafty and did not fear human beings. It was too powerful even with an impala in its belly.

“God guarded us from the devil and spoke to my husband to accompany us to the fields today because most times he remains behind. Thank God he is safe,” she said.

“I salute him (Mr Chilima) for his courage. There are few people who can battle with a python and even kill it. It is a strong snake, only the brave can fight and kill it and not cowards,” said Brasho Phiri, who is also a resident of the same area.

Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) public relations officer, Wilfred Moonga says pythons are protected animals because of their skin, but this does not mean that people should not kill them when they are threatened.

“But any person who happens to kill a python should report to the nearest ZAWA offices within 48 hours and explain the circumstances. They should not fear anything. Our duty is to protect both animals and people,” he said.

What constitutes an offence is the sale of python skin by individuals because it is Government trophy and, according to the ZAWA Act, anyone found vending in python skin without consent from the Authority will be liable for prosecution.

Mr Moonga says it does not constitute an offence if the snake is killed to protect human life because people have a right to protect themselves from being attacked by animals that would cause them to lose their lives.

Python skin is used to make shoes, belts, bags and other strong leather materials.
The snake has also special oil which is widely used as cure for different types of diseases such as epilepsy and sores.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound to me like the python was going to 'pounce" if it was still digesting a rotten impala. Am I wrong on this? Not saying he was wrong to kill it, just trying to get educated.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares? I would kill it instantly if my children were out and about in that field

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the flowery english used to describe the incident.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote