Find
Notify
Tools

Malapati area of Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Anyone hunted the Malapati area of Zim for elephants and how would April be for big ivory??

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Mike,

It is a good elephant area and April is a good time to hunt there. This information comes from my brother Jonathan, who knows the area well. He conducted an elephant hunt there earlier in the year and his client took a 50+ pounder. I cannot remember the exact weight, but shall find out for you and post a picture of the ivory. Over the years, Malipati has consistently yielded. It is adjacent to Gonarezhou National Park and early in the year the big bulls will be moving about....

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mike,
What are you up to? Send me a PM.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i took a 55# near there in march. april is excellent timing - bulls are coming out of the park raiding gardens. cheeky eles there though

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc: Who was your PH? Was March/April very "green" in this area? Did you see many buff?

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a stupid question, but does moon phase have any impact on bull elephant?

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was with jumbo moore in gonarezinga which is a communal area. yes it is green then, and in that area we saw nothing but ele. the year before that however in the same camp i shot a big black maned lion that was coming out of the park killing livestock. but that was just sheer luck.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They says that Malapati is one of the best areas in zim for the big tuskers. Who is the outfitter that run the concession?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote