THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A change in the guard at African Hunter Magazine

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A change in the guard at African Hunter Magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The arrival of another child and the steadily deteriorating situation in Zimbabwe (for family life) have caused a couple of major changes in my life. As of Friday, 30 January, I am no longer the edytur of “African Hunter” Magazine.

My place has been taken by a long time friend and regular contributor to the Magazine, Ira Larivers. Apart from being a darn fine biologist and fanatical Practical Pistol competitor, Ira brings a much wider experience of Africa to the magazine – He has worked in nearly a dozen African countries before returning to settle down in Zimbabwe where he had begun his career as a wildlife biologist 31 years ago.

I am not parting ways completely with the magazine and will still be a regular contributor, nor will I be off AR! There are still many hunts that need to be done…and as Manager, Technical Assistance for Norma Precision AB, I’ll have the privilege of testing all the good stuff in places that I would never get to as a Working PH based in Zimbabwe - and writing about it. I remain an examiner for the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association, but am no longer on the committee and my place there as examinations officer has been taken by Roy Ludick.

To Saeed, who has been a constant support in the background during a few very turbulent years, I say a great Big “thank you”. Not only from a family perspective. It has been Saeeds support that has enabled me to confront, expose and even shut down several illegal or seriously unethical operations her in Zimbabwe over the last few years.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with your future endeavour thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:
It has been Saeeds support that has enabled me to confront, expose and even shut down several illegal or seriously unethical operations her in Zimbabwe over the last few years.

Saeed should run for SCI president !!!Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Don, I heard the Norma story in Orlando at the SHOT show when we had dinner with Norma. Congrats on your appointment, and the best of luck!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Don,

My very bst wishes and support fot the new chapter in your life.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Thanks for all you have done at African Hunter and best of luck with your future endeavors!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Best of luck and congratulations on making African Hunter the best magazine on Africa. Hope you will still make your annual appearance at SCI!!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and best wishes.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good news Ganyana, is that we will not be loosing access totally to your unbelievable wealth of knowledge and wisdom. You are a true professional.

Personaly, I have learnt a lot from you and hope to learn even more in the future.

I wish you all the best with your future plans, which I know will be highly successful.

As an ambassador for the shooting and hunting industry you have few peers!!

Cheers. beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Don and Thanks!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don: Thank you for all that you have done for all of us African Hunter Magazine Subscribers, for your AR family, and for the world of hunting, especially for those of us lucky enough to have hunted your home country of Zimbabwe. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
My very bst wishes and support for the future Don.

If youre in scandinavia give me a call.

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Good luck Don.
I hope we'll meet in Sweden or Norway.

In a former thread I evoked that You couldn't be any longer in charge of the "African hunter magazine" as I the last issue lacks editorial rigor.

My best wishes.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In short, you got a better gig. Congrats.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
It was nice to meet you at DSC and best of luck with your new projects and addition to the family. I hope you enjoy your new Tuffpak too.
Better tomorrows,
Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you will not be the editor of African hunting mag, but glad you are makeing a move that is best for you, and your young family! Don't be a stranger here in the states at the conventions! Congratulations on your new little Bwana!
beer
............Good hunting friend! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've done a great job at African Hunter. Good luck in your future endeavors, I'm glad to hear that you will continue to participate in AR.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Don, best of luck. I asked Bill Lemmon if you were around at SCI in the African Hunter booth. I wanted to tell you I'd hunted with Henry Prinsloo in June and he spoke so highly of you.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed African Hunter magazine under your leadership. Great job and good luck with your next adventure.

John Hunt

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Don, welcome to Sweden, guess that it is partly my fault.

The Princess Madeleine is eager to meet you, she is a hunter too you know!

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I always thought you would be the guy to turn out the lights when you left Zimbabwe. However, as the electricity is rarely working, I guess you can blow out the candles. Good luck in the future and keep in touch.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Hi Don

I have always really enjoyed your magazine. My issues are read again and again.

If you are going to be in Sweden, can we expect you to make a splash on the Swedish "scene", accompanied by a "local"? I hear the natives are friendly...

She's Just waiting for Don

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You will be missed in the pages of African Hunter by many readers. I wish you well in your upcoming endeavors.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new post, Don. Hope we continue to see you in the States.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote