Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on the 9.3x64
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I was looking through my cartridge collection and found a 7x64 round. I am wondering if the 7.64 and the 9.3x64 are the same overall length. I would like to have a 9.3 made up but was wondering how well it fits the standard mauser. The 7x64 doesn't fit very well.

Thank You,
WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyo, The length of the 9.3x64 is 3.37". The 30-06 is 3.34" Seems to me a mauser that wil hold the Springfield will hold the Brenneke. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 9.3x62 CZ 550 and love it.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lenght might be close, but I�m sure You know its a wholly other, bigger case. Atkinson states that he hardly has to open up the bolt face ... with a file?? ...

Honestly IMHO there is a chance there is not much rail work to be done when changing from 7x64 or �06 to 9.3x64. But the bolt face has to be opened up somewhat to adjust for ammo tolerances.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the owner of a 09 mauser in 9.3x62 I can tell you that allthough it might just fit at that OAL you will get a lot of damage to bullet tips and that unless 9.3x64 brass is a lot thicker in the neck than a 9.3x62 you will have to use bullets with cannelures to prevent OAL shortening under recoil.

My 9.3x62 is a straight fit with no work whatsoever required to an 09 other than fitting the barrel - it holds 4 in the magazine but feeds reliably with 3, maybe this points to a need for a different follower or some rail work.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, most rifles in 9.3x62 will hold one round less than in .30-06. I think thats because the 9.3 is not only up-necked but also "improved" in the process. IMHO it�s a perfect comromise between not too much taper for powder capacity, and not too less taper for easy case extraction.

This means somebody should "widen" the front part of the mag well on Your rifle.

I�m only a gun nut, so please check this with a good �smith.

Goos Shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right in that the shoulder of the top round bears on the rails and the case head is free to move up or down. This means that in the down position the bolt can miss the head and hence not feed. It is only if 4 are in the mag and at present is not a great problem. My riflesmith for all his qualities feels I should just use 3 rounds in the mag and take care feeding the chambered round. This is fine by me as all my rifles hold 4 rounds and I'm willing to take a little care chambering the first round. Thereafter it feeds perfectly.

If I could find someone who would guarentee he could sort it out first time and who would stand the value of the completed action if he took too much off I'd have it done - I've yet to find this person......

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
I haven't placed this gunsmith's name on a public board, but I think he is the one you're looking for. I have one of his 9.3x64 Brenneke rifles, built on a mauser action. It is very accurate, completely reliable, and is done up in English express fashion. His work is perfect.

Uwe Heimrich, Hassfurt, Germany.
Telephone: 09521-8427
Speaks fluent English.

Tell him Todd from the USA sent you. I can't quote prices for you, he makes only "made to order" guns.

regards,

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redleg155,

I will give him a ring, thankyou for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,
You will have to open the bolt face on some Mauser, but some have enough slop to allow it to work....I lenthen the box about 40 thousands with a file, and some rail work may be required in the forward portion of the rails....

To clear up a little misunderstanding, I have never opened up a bolt face with a file, the poster misunderstood. I open up the magazine box with a file..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
Just wondering if you've contacted Uwe? And if so, was he able to help you?

-redleg