Find
Notify
Tools

Please Recommend a Hydration System
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I am looking for a hydration system to take on my Oct/Nov Zim elephant hunt. Camelbak comes highly recommended, but I have a real problem shouldering my rifle against a strap with any thickness. They have two simple hydration systems with very thin straps, but they are red and/or blue in color. I'd like something in earthtones or camo. Any suggestions?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
There are fanny pack hydration packs available and all are available in both subdued and camo. One thing to remember is to select an outer cloth that is QUIET while you carry it.

I have no reference/links but a google search should turn up what you need.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
since a camelbak system will be on your back, i doubt the color makes much difference(unless you are forced to run and therefore show your back to the pursuer). also i am not sure that color makes much difference. many animals are color blind. think blaze orange required in many states. also think of the many different colors of coveralls worn by trackers on game farms in RSA. as far as the shoulder strap,, you could probably use only 1 strap. even the 3-4 liter systems will weigh less then 10 lbs.- about the weight of your rifle on the other shoulder.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT

IF you drink enough Gin and Tonics at night, and enough at lunch, you do not need a hydration system...

PLUS the tonic helps with malaria. thumb Big Grin

sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Check out the Badlands packs and hydration systems.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Tony, you're the man!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall some of the names of the hydration systems I've used for carrying water on late season elephant hunts. All are recomended. Here's the list: Pearson, Oriah, Tiangwe, ...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Slip one of the trackers a few dollars and have him carry a backpack with bottled water in it. Also he can carry your extra rifle. This saves you the trouble of buying a system and you don't have to lug it around. The less you have to carry the happier you will be.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I have had the same issue with shoulder straps that you mentioned. I got a little creative with my favorite hunting vest, 2 grommets, cable ties, and a replacement hydration pack bladder and hose system from Cabelas for about $15.00. I now have the perfect (for me) hunting vest with hydration. I use it mostly for bird hunting and can carry enough water for me and the dogs for some fairly long hikes. I would not hesitate to use this for big game hunting especially for the type of adventure your are planning. The plus is that I don't worry about commercially available colors on the standard packs.

Good hunting,

375er

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A porter. Make that two porters.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
SBT-
I found a camo insulated pouch at Cabela's with a velcro loop on it that would accomodate either one of those bicycle-type water bottles or a nalgene bottle. I would just slip it on my belt, centered in the back, when we left the truck and frankly I hardly ever noticed it was there, unless I tried to lean against something and then I'd just slide it a little to the side.

It held plenty of water for me on a PG hunt but may be insufficient for something like a "forced march" elephant hunt.

My large hunting pack also has a camelbak in it which I used for my primary water source, although it stayed in the truck for the duration.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Regards,
SV

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT:

Check out the Camelbak "Chaos" pack. It comes in a dark tan/earth brown color and is fairly low profile.

I am in the same boat as you. I got this pack for an upcoming elepahnt hunt in Zim but now am not so sure I will use it. I have developed plan "B" which is to carry 1 water bottle on my ammo belt. I found that the Maxpedition mini RollyPoly pouch fits nicely on my belt and holds a Nalgene or similar bottle easily accessible. I don't want to have to stop and ask the trackers for a drink. I will have them carry my spares and when we all stop I can replace my empty bottle for a full one that they will be carrying.

www.maxpedition.com

Just a thought.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
SBT,

FWIW, I would never wear one of those damned cumbersome contraptions while hunting. I have seen them and the mere sight of such a thing and the thought of one strapped and sloshing around me has scared me off of them.

Just carrying a rifle, ammunition, knife and rangefinder is enough for me. The trackers carry the rest of the gear, including the H-2-O.

We have never run out of water carried by our trackers - although we have admittedly cut it close a few times!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I don't want to carry water period... I do carry or should say I bring along premeasured packets of gatorade..If 6 bottles of water I have six packets in trackers pak... I just add to water when drinking...
Before we lock & load, I have one mixed up and drink around half or more before the marathon starts...
Hydrating before is a great help and one never gets that cotton mouth feeling that water will not cut... but the gatorade with the balanced salts do...
Scott dont worry about the unit... Concentrate on your rifle and not to worry about the weight hanging on you back or hips...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

The idea was for you to find a bargain hunt. Now your going to buy stuff you really don't need? Come on!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated in previous post, I race bicycles. we depend on proper hydration. (hydrate or die). Carrying water on your back does not slosh around, the bladder keeps the water very quite. Drinking enough water is a key to a long day. I really don't belive a suppliment is required but if it makes you drink more go for it. The ONLY negative to a pack is it can change your LOP. I will usually give mine to a tracker when we are close and move to the front. I also put my sat phone in the pack, if you ever need a sat phone it will probably be whilst in the bush, not in camp or in the cruiser.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best hydration system in Zimbabwe is Zambezi. Loaded with carbs, minerals, electrolytes and other good things that are good for you - it's a pork chop in a can/bottle.
If you're really stout, you can carry a camelback or other portable hydration system, but beware - water weighs 8lb/gal and everybody I know bitches about their 8 lb rifle. Seriously, it does get very heavy and will really keep you sweating as your back can't "breathe" while you're wearing it. My recommendation, have the asst tracker carry a couple of bottles of water and make sure the PH has some Zambezi on ice for when you get back to the truck.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not need one hunting with Nixon. The water is excellent and he will have unlimited bottle water for your hunt. Keep in mind Nixon's concession borders South Africa. He has no problem getting supplies.

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used camel back systems extensively in the Middle East. Shouldering a rifle while wearing them has not been an issue.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing too remember for all Packs Camoflage, at my last recollection is illegal in Zim , Moz and even South Africa by Law

Yeah Yeah I know you get away with it in SA, I am stating the law ,

So do not get into a discussion with ABEL Mugabe or whoeever if it is camo or not,

I had a young appy come through Zim with me, and I warned him beforehand about Camo, outside Mount Darwin there has been a roadblock so longs they actally have a veggie garden by now,

Of course the first thing that came up, was THE CAMO CAP IS ILLEGAL, this was a Gucci or some expensife brand name, I took it off the young mans head and gave it too th copper, and apologised profusely, whilts telling the little @#$$ to shut the F#@$#$ up about his cap or I leave his ass right there

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please Recommend a Hydration System

beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinner: Las Vegas at the Hofbraus House I presume?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY oh MY, I can certainly have aemployment application sent too that manufacturer

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it the manufacturer or the girl that you want the application sent to? Or both? Looks like she'd have a hard time balancing all of those big mugs without the big. . . . clap

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The wife got me a Camelbak M.U.L.E. for Christmas that I've worn on a few trips. It's worked out pretty well. It's nice and compact, sturdy, and comes in desert camo. It's got a few small pockets for miscellaneous gear (my Contender fits nicely in the main one) and a 100 oz. bladder. The pack is pretty narrow, so slinging a rifle isn't too bad, and shooting with it on is a non-issue to me.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. While I'd prefer Skinner's recommendation, mouse93 referred me to exactly what I'm looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah...reminds me of this past Oktoberfest in Munich. I was well, um, hydrated during that trip.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
SBT just a note on plastic taste of the water from the new camelback - try this to get the plastic smell out of it;

get some bicarbonate of soda powder and put a few tablespoons of it in the camelback and then add a couple cups full of water, close it up, shake it up a little and leave it to sit for a half an hour. empty and rinse it out. It should be better.
You can repeat the process and even leave it overnight with the bicarb in it.
When you pack to bring it out, you can even fold it up with some dry bicarb powder in it for the journey which you can rinse out when you get there.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote