New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy re-do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always been delighted with the taxidermy work I've had done in Africa - except for one time: an eland that I had done in South Africa.

It was a big old bull that had a wild, weathered, drawn look about it, but the mount looked puffy, almost bloated, more like a "stuffed" animal than a trophy.

Seems to me it would be kind of simple for a taxidermist to re-do ... drop it into some sort of softening solution and stick a new form inside. No? Am I way off the mark here?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
It's easy to say, but probably not so easy to do. Post on the taxidermy forum, and you should get some informed replies.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Never happen Steve. They glue the hides to the forms and getting one to release without damage would be near impossible.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I agree. Had a mount that I was thinking of redoing and with the glue and how it was put together. No go. The hide would be destroyed. Best way is to buy a cape and use your horns/antlers. If a bear or something; no luck.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with a reputable taxidermist.It may be possible. I've seen mule deer re done but am not sure about the eland.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I have seen it been done with a lion, alot of work and probably alot depending of what glue etc. But that lion after re mounted was damn impressive!! Shoot another eland or buy another cape probably hell of alot cheaper.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
It can be done depending on how it was tanned and how old the mount is. The cost will run about double. It will take just as long to take it apart and prepare the skin as it will to re mount it.
There is a chance to that when you re hydrate the skin it won't be re mountable and you will loose that cape and have to purchase a new one.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
New cape, remount. Sometimes they look wonky because they use a form modified badly...

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
a lot of inexperienced taxidermist tend to bugger up a Big Eland bull.It has a BIG Dewlap that hangs down and Ive seen it before where they think all that extra skin was part of the neck and so puff up the neck to a unnatural size.
Good luck with the re-do

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Saw a huge kudu bull done on an eland form -- biggest available at the time. Odd looking, but on the wall in RSA (and acknowledged as so at the time). Sometimes anything will work out until you can "fix" it later.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
The hide would be destroyed. Best way is to buy a cape and use your horns/antlers.

That wouldn't work with this Eland. His pompadour is one of his best features! Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote