Notify
Tools

450 Vincent Short Vs 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Check the loads

http://www.accuratereloading.com/450vs.html

If you reduce the barrel back to 22" of the Model 70 458 those 748 loads should do at least 2350 f/s.

This seems to be a much better option than the Lott, if 458 factory ammo as an option is not important.

Brass would be dearer since 404s are used, but conversion costs would be far less. If it fed alright there would only be rechambering costs.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hypothetical question:

If you are considering long magnums (458 lott), then why not use the 450 vincent long?

The advantage of the 450 vincent short seems to be that it fits in a 458 win mag length magazine box.

But if your mag box is already opened up for the H&H length of calibers, then the 450 vincent long would seem to have all the advantages.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I was thinking that those shooters who owned M70 458s might find the 450 Vincent Short an easier and cheaper conversion than the 458 Lott.

As a bottle neck cartridge it should also feed with greater reliability.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think the really appealing feature of the Short version, is that you can upgrade a .458WM to "Lott-level" performance in a standard length action.

If you already have a .458 in a .375 length action, upgrading it to a Lott gives you the distinct advantage of still being able to fire standard .458WM ammo. Kind of a "cake and eat it too" situation. From a practicality point of view, this is a pretty big advantage.

If I were faced with the choice, however, I would definately lean toward the Vincent. Aesthetics are important to me, and I find the bottle-necked, unbelted case a lot more "sexy".

FWIW,

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Man, thats quit a cartridge from a balistic stand point, but I'm not to hot on the steep shoulders of the modern rounds...

I like the sloping tapers of the 375 H&H and 404 Jefferys as it goes well with feeding and extraction...look like torpedos.

DGR like men, horses, dogs require a primary trait with me and that is dependability first and foremost.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote