New
Find
Notify
Tools

4457 Forms History
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think it would be informative to get some understanding on the history of 4457 forms. I'm sure there are other reasons but trying to capture a couple of the common ones. This is a bit of a hasty poll so there are most likely better/more answer choices! Eeker So anyway here we go.

Old timer - someone who did it years ago because you thought it was prudent to do.

Recently - getting to know it second hand from AR and other sources in the internet era.

Question:
Why did you FIRST fill out a 4457 form?

Choices:
Old timer - I did it voluntarily to prove ownership of my firearm on return
Old timer - I did it voluntarily so I didn't have to pay Customs duty on return
Recently - I was told it was a good thing to do for above reasons
Recently - I was told by Customs or other sources that it is mandatory

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Before we "had" to complete the 4475 and it was voluntary, it was also not mandatory in other countries to prove ownership. A license in one's home state sufficed. I completed the 4457 as I don't need a license for anything gun related in my home of Alaska and the form simply answered any potential questions. Once, when I forgot to get a firearm registered and I was departing on a Sunday flight, I brought a copy of my firearms insurance policy to show customs upon re entering the US and it was sufficient proof. For the last 15 years, when I acquire a new double rifle I get a 4457 so I will always have it on hand. Some I've never used, many I have. Also a 4457 is also in lieu of a license when traveling through a firearm unfriendly place like a NY or NJ airport. It shows the gun is legally possessed where no license is required and this is nearly impossible for some bureaucrat in a NY or NJ airport to understand.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did my first ones, or something like it, back in 1982 - not firearms related. Was going to my first duty assignment in Germany and I was told to do them for any valuable item I was taking with me so if/when I brought it back there would be no possible duty/import charges.

I've nearly always taken one or more with me every time I traveled overseas with a laptop, camera or expensive watch etc. I've actually been asked to see them a couple of times coming back. Once for a camera, twice for a laptop.

Did my first one for personal firearms in 2006.

Forgot to mention one side benefit is that IF you have something listed on a 4457 stolen while you're overseas or at home even, you've at least got the items description/serial number etc for the police report, airline lost/stolen bag/item report. May not actually help you ever get it back but could reinforce your "claim" and have same included in a "police report" if you come home and turn it in on your personal insurance or even claim it as a "casualty loss" on your taxes.

Edited for clarity - Every time I've come back into the US with personal firearms, I've had my and my wife's firearm 4457's checked.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know that it has ever been "mandatory". The purpose of the 4457 is to prove ownership AND avoid customs duty on any item originally purchased in the USA which was made in a foreign country. Traditionally high value items on which the duty fees would have been high - think Nikon cameras and Rolex watches.

Ownership can and always has been allowed to be proven in other ways than the 4457, such as producing the original receipt of purchase in USA or insurance forms listing the item(s). Traditionally an item that shows age by handling and wear - not new - was presumed by Customs to be a previously owned item; since duty is due most often only on new items purchased outside the USA and being brought back into the USA for the first time.

Back in the last century I first got 4457s on my firearms that I was taking to Africa, primarily because the African countries want a firearms "license/permit" from the visitors country and because the US Customs wants to verify ownership of firearms entering the USA (which is not a bad idea, although if I was a terrorist or gun smuggler I would not use an international port of entry to bring in an illegal firearm!). The Africans really have no idea what they are looking at on a 4457 nor its real purpose, but it has become the commonly accepted form of firearms "permit/license" accepted by those government officials. Over the years it has become the pro-forma document and is now required for gun permits issued by many African countries to sportsmen for temporary import.

I did not vote in the poll because it seems erroneous to me.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Africans really have no idea what they are looking at on a 4457 nor its real purpose, but it has become the commonly accepted form of firearms "permit/license" accepted by those government officials. Over the years it has become the pro-forma document and is now required for gun permits issued by many African countries to sportsmen for temporary import.

The above quote is an absolute truth! The form 4457 is a must for your rifles, and one for each rifle is a good idea for the reasons listed above. The Africans think the 4457 is a gun permit. Foreign made cameras, and optics can be all on separate one to prove to customs you didn’t buy them out of the country.
...................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[QUOTE]The Africans really have no idea what they are looking at on a 4457 nor its real purpose, but it has become the commonly accepted form of firearms "permit/license" accepted by those government officials.

THIS! I never did it because the US gov requested or required it, I did it because it was a good bluff...a piece of paper that could be used to convince some $10 a day bureaucrat that you were legit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[QUOTE]The Africans really have no idea what they are looking at on a 4457 nor its real purpose, but it has become the commonly accepted form of firearms "permit/license" accepted by those government officials.

THIS! I never did it because the US gov requested or required it, I did it because it was a good bluff...a piece of paper that could be used to convince some $10 a day bureaucrat that you were legit.

Same here. I didn't respond to the poll because this option was not available.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Did my first one in 1999, it was so easy, and the Customs guys were like " man we are glad you are doing this, makes our job so much easier if there are questions when you return.

When we did return, they didn't even check them!

Slowly since then, it has changed, to where now, I make VERY sure they got the S/N correct, everything, and only one item per 4457. Since the form is available on-line, I do my own, and have them printed, ready for the Customs people.

Now, they take the gun off behind the screen, I am sure, entering it into a database, and then bring it back. Funny, when I hand over a watch or binos, they do it right there. I doubt it is a coincidence.

As far as using it as a "license", sure seems to work that way overseas. Had request from outfitter to have three notarized, stamped ( with embossed stamp, not just ink) copies of 4457 forms for RSA permits last year. I made extras for Namibian permits also, and was glad I did, barely had enough copies to have one when returning to US!!!! If Frankfurt had asked for one, they would have had to make one.

I now carry a folder, with tabs for each rifle, and six to eight copies of 4457's per rifle. Plus, another tab for the other items I brought.

Not sure yet how these new regs with export docs are going to work out, but no doubt, there will be more paperwork.

Back in 1999-2005, went thru Miami, West Palm, Laredo, Tuscon, and Houston, hardly a glance at docs. Not so now, much examination of S/N and looking in all nooks and crannies. Getting to where I just leave the boots behind, it's so much trouble. Not going to do the same with rifles though.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember the first time--it was early 90's- for a camera- Can't recall--91 or 92 on a European trip- advised by my travel agent-

The first time for a firearm 94- also advised by travel agent.

Can't recall what I did in the 80's as to forms

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote