THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What has changed the most in the last twenty years?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has changed the most in the last twenty years?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In your opinion what has changed the most in the last twenty years african hunting.
The hunting or the hunters?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Back in the day"...so to speak...going back 20 or so years...We never saw bi-pods,tri-pods, etc. to shoot off of. You stood on your hind legs, held your rifle, and fired if you had the ability to make the shot. Otherwise...you stalked in closer until you could. Don't know if this is an indication of different hunters or different hunting...but it is a very noticeable difference.
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The remotness

The camps with Electric Heat and TV.

Having to hunt with 6 or 7 hangars on.

7 day hunts that don't allow for enjoying Africa.

High Fence, planted animals.

Ease of access.

I'll think of others.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Edwards:
"Back in the day"...so to speak...going back 20 or so years...We never saw bi-pods,tri-pods, etc. to shoot off of. You stood on your hind legs, held your rifle, and fired if you had the ability to make the shot. Otherwise...you stalked in closer until you could. Don't know if this is an indication of different hunters or different hunting...but it is a very noticeable difference.
Cheers,
Don

Good point. Stand up and shoot like a man. Big Grin Not some Nancyboy with shooting sticks and bodyguards.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Sissy boys that need crossing signs while not knowing the difference between deer and elephant. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Sissy boys that need crossing signs while not knowing the difference between deer and elephant. Smiler

That would, of course, be the Town Father's of North Vancouver. Big Grin

What would you expect of a bunch of Canadians? bewildered

Either that or they really do have Elephants crossing the road and not using the cross walks and don't know what they are. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Maybe rhey had high school students make up the signs.

P.S.

One little dig and I get free entertainment from you. Thanks!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poaching has definitely increased.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN the last twenty years, I am fatter and slower, but not in my memory.
Everything else is the same, except of course this website and the internet, HD TV, satelite phones, med jet assist that work, bottled water, .416 rem mag, .458 Lott, better bullets, better optics, more variety in rifles, better clothes, better shoes, my wife is more tolerant (if that counts). I am a better shot, I think.

I have money to spend on hunting, but the hunting costs more.

Oh well, in twenty years I will be past 70 and won't be on this website.

As to hunters - not much change other than the common man goes to Africa now. The hunting has changed (GPS, helicopters, game ranches, more lethal weapons to pick from), however, you still have to shoot straight.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Let's see I would say an increase in the myths and the bullshit...

1) like the 375hh is no longer really adequate for buffalo

2) the 7x57 is really no longer adequate for plains game it must be at leasta 300 Win Mag

3) only a mauser action can be used in africa

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The economics of a hunt in Africa has by far been the biggest change. Partly this is based upon the political changes which have befallen the "darkest continent." The marketing of spiecies and the "book animal" quest as expoused by certain membership groups. Hunting for sport was once not a competitive sport, it now is for many. There is no one thing which can be directly blamed for the changes, as change is the only thing which life and time guarantees! Sometimes I wish my life could run in reverse for these very reasons! I will continue to use a .375, and a .308 and I doubt I will feel under gunned.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Maybe rhey had high school students make up the signs.

P.S.

One little dig and I get free entertainment from you. Thanks!

No sweat Will. You are easily entertained Big Grin.

I hope none of my Canadian friends takes this seriously. Wink

I actually like North Vancouver. The farther North the better I like it. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One PH told me as the viruses became more deadly, the clients seeking hu err.... companionship of the dark side, was reduced to only the very eccentric and whimsical. Eeker

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
In your opinion what has changed the most in the last twenty years african hunting.
The hunting or the hunters?

Ungodly trophy fees! Need for phone service in the bush. The evening radio call is no longer enough. Desire to get there, kill 'um and get home continues to get worse. There's more, but that will do. O' yes, the animals are harder to kill, so I read.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sweat on taking it seriously-I was at the SCI Auction on Sat night and heard the speaker go on and on about how America was the best country in the world and if anyone did not agree with everything the right wing in America has done they are stupid. I simply chaulked it up to self serving chest pounding that a mostly US right wing audiance wanted to hear. If anyone actually believed every word I would have to pity them and tell them to travel more and be enriched by those around the world that have much to offer.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob

Who was the speaker? We left Friday night.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Traveling with firearms!!!! Much more difficult!

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sean Hannidy I believe the spelling is wrong but he is on Fox Network with a Point counter point type of show-seemed a little inappropriate for an international convention!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Communication in the bush. Now everyone has sat phones. Good thing as far as I am concerned. No one says you have to use it.Traveling with firearms is still a toss up.Some situations it is now easier, but other times still a pain.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Information - via a site like AR, you can get all the information you can handle on the good, the bad and the ugly. Great asset in getting an honest opinion on a guide or PH as opposed to being limited to their "reference" list.

Scopes - maybe a tad longer than 20 years ago, but a scope was the exception rather than the rule. I remember it was a little over 20 years ago when I was SHOCKED to find a rifle with no iron sites. Better glass, better shock characteristics, lighter, etc.

Africa continues to change. 20 years ago was the tail end of de-colonization, and many countries are still sorting things out. Agree with Dan on more poaching.

No more Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner or Jeff Cooper.

Range finders, gps, trail cams, game feeders and other "new fangled" things.

Better batteries and lights - hell, 20 years ago you had to lay in a few pounds of batteries for an extended hunt.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
No question about it. Trophy fee prices!

The other day I came across a Westwood Wildlife Safaris' receipt covering trophy fees for the buffalo, sable and kudu I took in Zimbabwe in 1983.

The grand total for all three animals was $1,100!

Amazingly, the airfare to Victoria Falls from Tucson was $1,870.00. In 2007 dollars that's substantially less than it would cost to fly there today.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Ooops!

I meant to say airfares are less today.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote