New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After watching TAA with Bill Jones and his rifles does anyone know the whereabouts of or own any of Taylor's rifles? Also in a similar vein how about the rifles that Holland & Holland outfitted Stewart Granger with for his hunts while filming King Solomon's Mines?

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled Granger's H&H royal .375. It was owned by a gentleman that passed away recently in Pincher Creek, Alberta

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owner of Firing Line in Denver Colorado owns Podoro Taylor's Wilkes 450 double rifle.

I have bid on a couple of "known" rifles at Holts, doubles and the Selous' single, but obviously beaten by Bill Jones!

cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Owner of Firing Line in Denver Colorado owns Podoro Taylor's Wilkes 450 double rifle.

I met this gentleman on my 1st safari. Was unaware that he was using the rifle on a plains game hunt in Namibia after a short, successful ele hunt in Bots.
The ph said he could really shoot it well.
Closest I came to it was handling a spent hull left in the hunting truck.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to handle the H&H 500-450NE double made for and presented to Teddy Roosevelt for his 1907 safari! It was in a booth at the Shot show in the Dallas Texas convention hall a few years ago. They were thinking about selling lottery tickets for the winner to be able to shoot the rifle a few rounds at a local shooting range, but they changed their minds. I was certainly going to buy a few tickets for that, but alas the lottery didn't take place!

What a balanced rifle that thing was, and it fit me like it was made for me!

................................................................. CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In 1976 I handled a pair of Wesley Richards DRs made for the Maha Raja of Cooch Bihar - a 476 WR & a 280 of some sort - made around 1962. The most beautiful rifles that I have ever seen in real time / life. Not quite flesh & blood but ... wood & steel .... Wink

I use the 280 on a driven shoot and it handled like it was made for me (I was just 20 then). Did not get a shot as the Muntjack was too quick.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is quite a timely thread - I just returned from a family holiday in Europe, stopping over in London on the way home. I spent one morning visiting a few gun makers including Holland and Holland.

I got to handle Mr Granger's 375, along with a few other impressive rifles. It goes without saying that it was a great rifle, as was the service I received at Holland. Slightly off topic but the manager of Holland's gun room couldn't be more helpful, quite unlike the experience I had with one of England's other bespoke gun makers.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki....I suspect the 280 was the .280 Flanged Nitro Express, I have a double in .475 Straight with an extra barrel set in that caliber..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote