Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Life story of: Paul Grobler

I really enjoyed reading this one.
Think you would too.
One of those Rowland Ward books.

He's still living in Australia, born 1922,
should be 98 this year. His wife died in Oct '18.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! Great book! I’m halfway through it, so didn’t know he was living here. I want to know what ammo he used in his .303.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make a SWAG it was 215 gr RN. That is worth what you paid for it. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you are referring to the Richard Harland book? Great stuff!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Story?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great book. Paul was Richard’s mentor. Richard used to post on AR until folks that had never seen an elephant in the wild wanted to tell a man who had hunted thousands that he did not know what he was talking about. All three of Richard’s books are outstanding.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the pleasure of having dinner with Richard and his wife Bretta thanks to Buzz and his lovely wife Steph. Rich autographed my book Ndulovu and I presented him with a few original photos of Fletcher Jamison. What a great dinner and wonderful time we had.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . a true gentleman married to a wonderful woman.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the name of the book and who is the writer. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
African Epic, the story of Paul “Kambada” Grobler by Richard Harland. Was published by Rowland Ward.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Great book. Paul was Richard’s mentor. Richard used to post on AR until folks that had never seen an elephant in the wild wanted to tell a man who had hunted thousands that he did not know what he was talking about. All three of Richard’s books are outstanding.

Mike...surely you jest. That would never happen on AR!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Guess I could have been
more specific and complete. Still a very
good read.

Jack's (tysue) sister bought this book
from Rowland Ward for him, $69.25, that
was back in Sept '05.

A great thing about this book.
Paul signed it: "to Jack, my Great friend"

Yes, 215gr RN's in the .303.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Paul in 1972. I was one of his first clients as he was a professional hunter, not a guide, till that point. as a PH he'd buy up licenses on Elephant, Buff, zebra, et, and shoot them then butcher them up (had a big butchering operation), and then sell the meat, skins, etc. His son, Steve, said he followed his dads footsteps and hunted this one huge area and killed on average about a 1,000 head of game a year. Paul's back up gun was a 460Wby. He said, he didn't use a DR, because could shoot quicker with a bolt gun, and more accurate. He could get off 10 shots in 1 minute with the bolt 458, and kill 10 elephant. Saw him shoot a RUNNING elephant at 50 yds, going R-L and brain it with hia 460. If you haven't read the book, need to. Paul also an officer in their police, I believe, and ran a How to survive in the outback, with just a knife, type thing. They'd be dropped off out in the boonies, and have to come back to a particular location, with only the knife, and maybe a canteen to survive on. In the book, there's a story about him being ambushed by some terrorists at this one carved out of the bush landing strip. his wife was wounded in that action. the air strip was the one we used to get to his camp. Wonderful place out in the boonies, whole area his to hunt and like 45x45miles, just across the railroad track from (at the time) Wankie park. Get the book and read it. There's place call Addallbooks used and out of date. MIGHT be able to find it there, for a better price. Safari Press, also has it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, on shooting 10 shots in a minute with a bolt 458, when hunting he'd have 3, all loaded. One gun bearer on either side. when he opened up, and shot the 3 in the first rifle, would hand it to one gun bearer and take the 2nd one and start shooting with that, empty it, hand it to he next guy, take #3, empty it and hand it back to bearer 1, who'd only have one new round loaded into the rifle. I have a few pictures from that time on my computer , but don't know how to download them here. We spent 10 days, I think, in Rhodesia, and killed 2 Sable each, I took an elephant, but learned the brain is directly behind the ear hole, not the BS half way between the eye and ear hole. There's nothing THERE except solid bone. We (wife nd I) each got a Zebra (Zeb ra in Africa), and I got an Impala, blue wildebeest, an Eland, and a duiker. Someone lets me know how to do it, can send along some pictures. BTW, yes 1972 right for the year we went over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tysue just sent a note that he'd
forgotten to post where Paul lives
now in case some of you would like to
connect while he's still top side.

Warner, QLD

Ben: Is that near you?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, George said folks might want to know where Paul at today. He lives with his son and DIL in Warner, QLD, Australia, which they not real happy with as no game, etc., like in Rhodesia.

The book, African Epic, can be gotten from Safari Press for $60.00, I just checked their web site.

Hope this helps. My 1972 trip was a graduation present to ME from ME. We spent 6 weeks on the trip, a week or 10 days in Namibia, 10 days or so in Rhodesia, then meandered up through Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, then Cairo, Rome, and home. spent less for the 6 weeks then, that for two now. Oh yeah, we also visited Zanzibar. In 2009 and 2018 I also revisited Namibia, and the farm I hunted in 1972. If anyone interested in those places, let me know. they have good set ups and relatively inexpensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! My in-laws live a few minutes away from there! I’m hoping to be there at Christmas. I’d certainly love to meet him!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m having a hell of a time trying to find a good bullet for .303 and buffalo now that Woodleigh have stopped making their 215 grain Hydro. They make a soft, and it’s okay, but I’d prefer an FMJ (round nose).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read Richard Harland's book: THE HUNTING IMPERATIVE. Interesting, and entertaining.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will read it. Thanks for posting, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Grobler is in a Nursing home and not doing well, and has, essentially , senile dementia, now. Son says he doesn't even recognized him (son), so sorry to day, not looking good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, on my list of game gotten, I only listed what I got in Rhodesia. In Namibia I got a good Oryx, wife got a good Oryx and 2 Kudu. I didn't shoot a Springbok there as am TIGHT, and thought there'd be one on the license in Rhodesia. None in Rhodesia. But got some in RSA and Namibia. The place in N. Namibia, Moringa guest farm, and has ronduvals for guests and great hunting (Gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest, springbok, et), Very reasonable. 75 miles N of Windhoek. I was back there in 2018, to visit again. 3 generations of the same family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note from Paul's son, Steve:

Hi, with the coved flu the old folks homes were in total lockdown and I was unable to see dad for two months. He deteriorated badly in that time and is in a position where he does not recognize me and does not respond to voice. Regrettably I think the old system is just shutting down physically and mentally. I appreciate the sentiments of folks wanting to contact but it just is not going to happen.

He mentioned a few minutes ago, to note too that his dad now 98 years old. Sad