New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot groups while sighting in
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Silly question, but how do you measure groups when sighting in a rifle? Outside edge to edge? Center to center? Widest shot to widest shot?

Pardon the newbie question but I am curious. Being an engineer, I may have tended to over analyze this.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

It's center on center.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
With me it depends on what I am trying to find out.

If I am testing different factory or handloads in a particular rifle I measure center to center of only the shots that I felt good about when the rifle went off. I disregard a shot if I flinched or was not on target when the rifle discharged.

If I am deciding which rifle to take on a hunt or safari I shoot a ten or twelve rounds with each from off the sticks and take the rifle that has the smallest outside group.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The usual definition is center to center, however the way it is usually measured is outside to outside and then subtract the bullet diameter.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The usual definition is center to center, however the way it is usually measured is outside to outside and then subtract the bullet diameter.
Peter.

What he said.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sighting in I measure outside to inside--then you dont have to subtract bullet diameter.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Sighting in I measure outside to inside--then you dont have to subtract bullet diameter.

SSR

What he said.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Dogcat

In Aussie for target copm's we measure out side to out side and subtract the bullet dia.

This gives you the actual group size no matter what cal rifle is used.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote