THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Will the 375 H&H ever be replaced by 375 Ultra or similar
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the 375 H&H ever be replaced by 375 Ultra or similar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the question, or its premise, in the context of a caliber that has been around for 100 years.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
NO.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Never!!! Better shots, accuracy and not a bigger gun. Being able to shoot accurately.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Add one more to all the folks saying NO!!!!!!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
Which is a good reason for the .375 Weatherby. The ability to push projectiles 200 fps faster than the .375 H&H, yet still able to shoot .375 H&H ammo if the Weatherby stuff gets lost.

Interesting; Doc Robertson (Doctari) says in his book about shoot buff that its better to slow down the venerable .375 H&H for better performance. His point is the .375 is too fast and has too much penetration for broadside shots.

Because in my humble opinion, the good doctor is married to that theory when bullets did not hold together very well. With the advent of today's super premiums like the TSX for example, you whack an animal with a 300gr @ 2400 and one 2900 (like a 378) and then tell me there isn't a difference.

He slows them down to keep them inside the animal. He more than most is concerned with hitting another animal on the other side.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the .375 H&H is the ultimate all-purpose caliber/cartridge for all game.
There is nothing better, in my opinion, as it easily provides enough penetration for lethal shots on any game animal from any angle. People are more accurate, and therefore, deadlier with this caliber than heavier recoiling rifle calibers. A second shot after coming out of recoil is much easier with this caliber than larger calibers as well. Shot placement and penetration is the name of the game. The only caveat I have with the .375 H&H is for elephant. Not that I've hunted them but I would not feel comfortable with anything less than .458 caliber. My preference would be a .470 or .500 NE caliber if I could afford the hunt and double rifle but that is another dimension. For anyone hunting everything except elephant, I would think a good Mauser actioned .375 H&H would be good for the world. Any caliber over .375, which means .400 and over, is, in my opinion, not an all-purpose caliber, as some on this forum propose. I've owned everything up to .416 Remington magnum and once again, disagree. I am 6'1" and 215 pounds and I believe the .416 calibers are the "neither fish nor fowl" caliber. This cartridge kicks entirely too much for long distance shooting. I would bet any man here that striking a target at 300 yards with a 270 grain .375 caliber projectile @ 2700 FPS would be much easier than striking that same target with a 350 grain .416 caliber bullet at 300 yards, whether at 2700 FPS or 3000 FPS as some claim their rifles are capable of. If the .416 calibers are so versatile, think how versatile the .458 caliber rifles are. They shoot 400 grain bullets at 2400 FPS easily. Their stopping power is better with 500-600 grain bullets than any .416 caliber. Let's talk about how versatile a .50 BMG could be. See where this goes? The .375 has always been and will always be the most versatile caliber for all game. That's my opinion but it's a fairly educated opinion. Your mileage may vary but everything I've ever shot with a .375 H&H is dead right there.

Thanks,

jfm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading through these posts is really entertaining. A few comments regarding "brand loyalty" and tradition.

1) The 375 H&H has a belt (bad mouthed by traditionalist)
2) I looked at some loading data on the accurate powders web site. This data lists pressures along with velocities with their specific powders. To get a 300 gr bullet to 2550 FPS with a 375 H&H you need about 56,000 PSI with their powders. You can achieve 2400 FPS in a 416 Rem (400 gr) at that pressure in their data and 2150 FPS with a 500 gr bullet in a 458 Win Mag at less pressure with their data.
The 375 is just fine in African heat but the 416 Rem and 458 WM are not suitable at the velocities listed above????? Come on guys??
Belt and too high chamber pressure; Not suitable for Africa? Eeker
Just think about a 375 Ultra Mag (with no belt) and loaded down to 2600 FPS with a 300 gr pill (low pressure). This is the same argument traditionalist play in pitting the 416 Rigby vs the 416 Rem.
There is considerably hippocrasy on this forum.
I will add, that I prefer the 416 Rem to the Rigby and the 375 H&H to the ultra mag because I believe the belt argument is silly and I like the idea of a slimmer cartridge enabling you to perhaps have another round in the magazine. I also believe you can live with 56 KSI chamber pressure in modern guns.
Just making a point! There is nothing magical about a 375 H&H!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that this thread is ten years old and that somebody dredged up from the grave and gave it CPR. And it's alive again.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe that this thread is ten years old and that somebody dredged up from the grave and gave it CPR. And it's alive again.

So what's wrong with dredging up old threads? I thought the purpose of these Forums was to exchange information and ideas. There are a lot of new hunters/shooters on the Forum.

10 years ago, I didn't know AR existed. I didn't even own a computer back then, but I did own a .375 H&H!

However, since then I sold my .375 H&H and bought a .375 RUM which I've used on two trips to Africa. It's one of my favorite rifles. But that's just me. I like sending a 270 gr TSX bullet downrange at 3040 fps. I also bought a computer and found the AR Forum!

44 years ago I started hunting with a .30-06. I used that .30-06 for many years and killed a lot of game with it. I now hunt with a .300 Weatherby. It's also one of my favorite rifles.

Will the .375 H&H be replaced by one of the new .375 Ultra somethings? Did the .300 Wby replace the old standby .30-06?

For me, Yes. For most of the rest of the world, No. But the world is a big place, and there is room, and a market, for all.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. The 375 H&H will be around long after we're all gone...kinda like coyotes and whitetails. It'a a survivor.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
A strong contender for the Hyperbole of the year award...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote