One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
Does anyone know?

Big Snake

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is like one of those e mails that says watch your screen closeley for the ghost, then after a few seconds a skeletor chick jumps out of your scree and scares the shit out of you!

and to answer your question, I dont know about the African part but I am sure it is a snake.. rotflmo

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That appears to be an Anaconda which is only found in the New World (Central and South America). Not sure what exact species but that is a giant specimen. Seems rather annoyed too.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That is an anaconda from S. A. not South Africa.. I have seen two rock pythons in Southern Africa.. largest around 13 feet..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Bakes" sent me that vid from Australia. Olive python I think he said.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
This is the biggest snake I have ever personally seen. It was EASILY 12ft and was in central Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe,
- Rock Python. High up on the nasty list, along with retics.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:

I think this may be exactly what it is. I suspected it might be a green anaconda but I believe even the large ones have spots. So I thought it might be African.

I didn't realize Australia had such a whopper python. Apparently Olives can get over 6m!

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say the snake in the video is an olive python. Australia, not Africa. Anacondas generally aren't far from water, and their sheer size makes them rather slow and cumbersome out of the water.

Nick, that is one huge snake in your picture. Over half of its body is lying on the ledge.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome video. Thanks for posting it. thumb

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The big Guy

Our Scrub pythons get bigger but they arn't as bulky as the Burmese or the rock python.

Here's a pic of a Scrubby eating a wallaby.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a really awesome photo!

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green Ananconda, pretty sure

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Its an Olive python.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Its an Olive python.

Now, Bakes - Just because you happen to have had 3 pet Olive pythons doesn't mean you're an expert on this. Look a bit more closely at this snake, will you, please? Can you not see the predominant GREEN, BLACK and YELLOW coloration of the anaconda? The enormous contrast in girth up against the 2" angle iron?
Olive Python, indeed. Roll Eyes

Wink

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
the answer seems to be no

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
oops! It's 2am in Australia. We'll just have to wait. Such drama!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nick, that is one huge snake in your picture. Over half of its body is lying on the ledge.

Yes Jim, the Olives are unnervingly long, aren't they? Good thing they don't have the girth of some of the larger boids. Very cool, observing such large, active and maneuverable constrictors, on the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:

This picture has been doing internet tours for some years.Many say it's a photoshop job.I don't know.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Many say it's a photoshop job."

I can understand why if one thinks he's looking at a red kangeroo. Rock wallabies average about 20-30 pounds.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Has to be photo shoped. They not big at all Roll Eyes

Excuse the sarong Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Good Morning, Mate! Big Grin Nice anaconda collection you've got there!

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Many say it's a photoshop job."

I can understand why if one thinks he's looking at a red kangeroo. Rock wallabies average about 20-30 pounds.

Should have checked earlier. But,Snopes says it's real.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/cowsnake.asp

Thanks-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Shhhhh Nick.....anyone finds out I have an anaconda here in Australia I'll be in the Sh%t Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The Kimberley Olive is the largest of the Olive Python sub species.

Here's a pic of Australia biggest python species. Its a scrub python and poor little smokie the cat. I love this pic jumping