New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris, Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are four guys planning for another PG safari, this time in Namibia in 2011.

We have got several offers from different operators, but as now, the Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris has seemingly the best offer. http://www.africahuntingsafaris.com

Has any of you guys or gals hunted with this outfit, and if yes, what is your experience?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That dip and pack could really add up quick at a $150/animal average....

Trophy fees are good,pick up at airport for $450 is steep IMO.But I see that they include that is his package.

The son runs a hunting forum;

http://www.africahunting.com/modules.php?name=Jig

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with this group in 2007, Nihan is excellent

www.huntersgame.co.za

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Arid:
If I am correct, their package hunt is....
8 day hunt, 2x1, 4 animals....$6400
Van Heerden Safaris has a 6 day hunt, 2X1, 5 animals...$3490.
Considerable difference.
My son and I hunted with Van Heerden. Had a great time. I highly recommend him.
Aron Neilson has an ad for them in the Outfitter section.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not a package hunt.
We are four hunters and one camera man and we plan for 10 hunting days and two days touring Etosha/Waterberg.

Offer from Ozondjahe is 15 % off the day rates as we are a group.
The pick up fee are for the minibus/group.
We are still looking around, but 75000 acres and only perimeter fence looks a bit tempting.
They also had all the animals we have on our list.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a fair discount,and pickup split 4 ways is OK too.Cheaper than billing 1/2 rate arrival and departure days that are starting to be creep into PG hunts.

I can't find anything negative anywhere...

Dates and animals you want,on a big property;what's not to like Wink

May want to get an opinion on Kudu if anyone has that on the list,with rabies outbreaks.

Good Hunting!

Dinsdale

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing is sure it's a buyer market! List prices are just that, You can easily negotiate 15% -20% off. The best deals will be on Oryx and Eland.
Get references from last year! Be sure to find out their true cost of dipping/shipping trophies home! Things change to fast in Namibia, you cant rely on two or three year old hunt reports. Plan on paying more for touring and staying in the park, ask the outfitter for his suggestion. I personally I would split into two groups/cars in the park if you are serious about photography. I would also stay in the park, less traveling and a better over all experience!(More money). There are some really great hunting guides that make horrible park touring guides, ask your references about their touring part of there hunt.What would they do differently?

Also a very big problem in Namibia is the guides or outfitter intentionally talking in German in the presence of their clients. Don't let anybody down play this problem. This can really ruin a great trip! Get everything in witting before you commit one dime. Don't hurry, look over lots of outfitters. There are some truly great deals coming in the next few weeks!

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate i think you can do a lot better than that. I am looking to hunt with this guy take a look you might have second thoughts.
www.osombahe-nord.com

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll throw another one into the mix.
http://www.namibia-hunting.net/index.htm

Myself and a hunting buddy are spending 10days with Arno in early September.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for feedback guys.
The problem with some of the smaller outfists is that they are a "mom and dad" farm, with dad the main PH and a son or son in law as the second guide or PH.
I have great offers from some of these but they can only offer 2x1 or even 3x1.
For us a mandatory is hunting 1x1.

Some of the bigger operators I have been in contact with, fails to give me a clear answer where to hunt, size of area, fence/no fence, ability to accomodate us in single rooms or do we have to sheare rooms etc etc.
They refere to consession land and possibility to hunt adjacent farms, but still no names or references.

Ozondjahe have given me an offer based on, and including everyting I have asked for.
But they are as far as I have found out, not mentioned here on AR.

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also a very big problem in Namibia is the guides or outfitter intentionally talking in German in the presence of their clients. Don't let anybody down play this problem. This can really ruin a great trip!

Unlike most American's, a lot of Europeans are bilingual. This may be less of a problem for the original poster.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sid, that´s the least problem Wink
Wherever we travel we have to conform to someone elses native language.

We who speak a minor language are used to try to be understood or try to understand in one of the major languages.

German or Afrikans might be easier to understand for us than two Texans arguing Smiler
Not to mention the Scots, Australians or Irish Smiler

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Thanks for feedback guys.
The problem with some of the smaller outfists is that they are a "mom and dad" farm, with dad the main PH and a son or son in law as the second guide or PH.
I have great offers from some of these but they can only offer 2x1 or even 3x1.
For us a mandatory is hunting 1x1.

Some of the bigger operators I have been in contact with, fails to give me a clear answer where to hunt, size of area, fence/no fence, ability to accomodate us in single rooms or do we have to sheare rooms etc etc.
They refere to consession land and possibility to hunt adjacent farms, but still no names or references.

Ozondjahe have given me an offer based on, and including everyting I have asked for.
But they are as far as I have found out, not mentioned here on AR.

Think you're smart for going for the 1x1,but it does limit lots of outfitters.Good to here someone can accomadate you.

I know Die Keiller group could pull that off,as they use a bunch of different properties,and could pull enough PH's together I assume?

As good as this site is,frankly there are LOTS of good outfits not mentioned here.

Like you said they have answered all your questions,that's a big plus.

How do you think their trophy quality is?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sid, that´s the least problem Wink
Wherever we travel we have to conform to someone elses native language.

Good points. I have traveled Europe a lot. I never did understand Swabish (German near the Bodensee) but, did pretty good at one time with the other dialects, especially the children who spoke "high" German. Dutch eventually started to make sense to me (added lots of "J's" to everything Wink). Belgium was a real challenge outside of Brussels.

Overall, I am impressed with Europeans language skills in general. Most Americans cannot speak a second language unless they or their parents immigrated from somewhere else. That is slowly changing with immigration though.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hell, a lot of "Americans" have trouble with English. try understanding a rap song.anyway, good luck on your quest.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems I read someplace that this property was on the confiscation list in Namibia. I may have it confused with another though. Anyway, 75000 acres sounds like a lot but divide by 4 (4 hunters) and then divide again by 4 (carrying capacity is low in Namibia compared to Limpopo drainage) and it's starting to look a little tight. There are bigger properties in Nam.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . and two days touring Etosha/Waterberg . . .

Arild, let's just say Etosha is 'spread out' -- one day won't do it, but you can still enjoy what time you're there. I vividly can recall tons of Zebra's spread out as far as the eye can see.

Keep up the research and your options open, though I'll agree that for what you're looking for a lot of the smaller operations just won't be able to handle your group. Anyway, whoever you decide with enjoy your trip, if you're renting a vehicle for your sightseeing and interested in a contact pm me, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Arild, to answer your original question... this is an excellent outfitter and you won't regret hunting with them.

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chris.
Just what I was hoping to hear.

Arild Iversen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm different than many folks, which I freely admit, but unless you're really into game photography and viewing I think a day in Etosha is plenty. We spent most of two days there and I could easily have done with just 4 hours myself.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote