New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving guns in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I sure the answer is no,it can't be done.But I thought I'd ask just in case.

Can an American leave 2 rifles in Namibia when traveling back and forth from the US and Namibia?

Would it make a difference if a person had a home leased in Namibia? Like a year round vacation home.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The U.S. government considers that an export of firearms.

They may not catch it, but you'd be taking a chance.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, if it was to be done it would HAVE to be done legally.

Doing things outside the law and firearms is not a good combination or a safe bet.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One step further!! Can I legally sell a gun to my PH or anyone else in Namibia? If so what permits and steps must be taken on the USA and Namibia side to accomplish this? Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need an export permit from the State dept to export a firearm from the USA (or ammo, even bullets and brass). So taking a gun to Namibia and selling it there is considered exportation.

On the Namibian side, the recipient has to get his papers in order. Import duty will probably be assessed as well. I don't know how long it takes to get a firearms licence in Namibia but it would be wise to get that process rolling in good time.

Having said all this, there is no check on the US side that you in fact bring a gun back that you took out. On the Namibian side, there is a temp permit so they can check that the gun you brought in, went out with you when you leave.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
It takes 2-6 weeks to get a gun licence in Namibia. You can aslo let a dealer take care of it, in other words, he is the importer until your PH's gun licence has been issued.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote