Find
Notify
Tools

Tuff Pak Bow Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
I know many on this board use Tuff Paks for rifles and appreciate their outstanding features. I noticed they also have bow case models, a short and long.

The inside diameter is listed as 12inches. Is this right? It seems too small to carry a compound bow. Is there more to this? Has anyone on here used them for compound bows?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We keep a compound bow in the booth at Reno to show it will fit. Some of the new parallel bows may not fit but a standard compound does.
The larger of the two if by far the better seller as you can use it for firearms and gear too. I have them in stock and ready to ship.
817 267 3700 or order from secure page on www.hunters-hq.com

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
TBG,

I bought the bow model from Mims. It will hold my Parker with it's soft case, a couple rifles and other gear but I do have to take the sight off my bow. My Parker is not one of the fancy flat looking bows either. That set up will be going with me to Manitoba bear hunting shortly. I took it to Idaho last year. Worked fine.

This thread reminded me I owe Mims ten bucks for a handle upgrade! If you get the Tuff Pak get the better handle.

I put 6 long guns in soft cases for shipping in the same Tuff Pak and UPS'ed it to my gunsmith with no issues. It's a roomy container!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Ann,

What model Parker you have? They are nice bows maybe I can figure out size wise how it compares to my Bowtech Extreme Solo.

This is it, it is more "traditionally" shaped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultra Lite Pro model. Similar shape to your Bowtech there. BTW- I'll be loooking at Bowtech's offerings next year when I look for a second bow. My Parker is good but maxed out at 65 pounds, I will be looking for something that can go 75 to 80 pounds. Well, provided my shoulder joints can handle it!

Like I said, my Parker fits in the Tuff Pak inside its soft case as long as I take the protruding part of the sight off.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I think I found your bow Ann but Parker's site won't let me hot link the photo. Frowner

In short I agree a very similar shaped package.

Make sure you also check any Diamond Bows your dealer may have. They are also owned by Bowtech and are basically previous years model Bowtechs with the Diamond brand on them. It may save you some $$$. Your will definately feel the difference going from 65 to 75lbs. Bowtech's have a very short let off valley so they are very unforgiving on creep. Creep is something to be very concerned about in a bow that has higher poundage than you are accustomed too. Make sure the shop pro sets the cam stop right before you try it. Wink

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBG,

Thanks for the advice, I will remember it when I start looking for a high weight bow. I'll be looking at as many brands as possible to see whcih works best for me.

Any idea who has the best let off?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Quite a few of the major manufacturers make 80% let off bows. This seems to be the practical limit. I strongly urge you to personally draw these bows yourself as the cam loading curve on these is sometimes quite harsh. What I mean by that is in order to maintain a competitive IBO speed many manufacturers make the peak draw section of the load up curve longer. This makes up for the stored energy loss of a higher let off. It also means it is alot harder to get the bow to the let-off "valley". The lesson here is a bow that has 65 or 75% let off may be easier for you to draw than an 80%. It also may be just as fast or faster.

That being said, there are good things about higher poundage and bad things. What is your reason for this pursuit? I used to shoot 92lb draw so I have been there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My reason is one buffalo with an arrow before I get too old and broken down to do it.

I am not quite ready to shop for a bow yet but it will have to be one I can adjust from about 70 pounds to 80 as I work up to it. Even if I find one at 65% let off that would be fine. A smoother draw at a high setting might be the best way to go.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Good reason Smiler

The heavier poundage is a must to launch the heavier arrows required for a Buff. There is practically no lethal shot short of quartering away that does not require driving the arrow through bone. A quick study of their skeletal anatomy reveals the wide wide ribs surrounding their vitals. Buffs are an extremely sturdily constructed creature. One heck of a challenging archery harvest.

I myself am recovering from two dislocated shoulders. Hands down smoothness of draw was the most important factor. Extra let off helps too, but if I was gonna put them in order, smoothness comes first.