THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Elephant in Sobbe - Binoculars? Yes? No? Power?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant in Sobbe - Binoculars? Yes? No? Power?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Did a search and most of the answers provide the caveat regarding area to be hunted.

So, for those of you with experience in the Caprivi Strip and Sobe in particular for elephant (tuskers)

Binoculars - yes or no?

If yes:

8x20

8x32

8x42

or 10x in same variations?

Thanks

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If you must, an 8x30 Swarovski (or the new 8x32) sets the standard. Or an old 8x30 Zeiss, which are smaller but no longer around.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
That's part of the question, Bill - "Must I?"

I'm not one of those guys who had walked around with binoculars all of his life but my miopia has now been married to presbyopia and the past few deer seasons have shon me "the light" of using them to pick out details and shapes through bush and thickets.

If they're not worth the hassel of having them on a guided elephant hunt, then they'll stay in the tent or truck and frankly I'd rather save my money.

So, Bill:

Must I?

or

Should I?

Or not?

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should. I find my Zeiss Conquest 8x30's just right.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Binos available when needed.
http://www.long-grass.com

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike...nice ass! Oh, you meant the binoculars! :-) :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Damn you Biebs!

Had a friggin mouthful of coffee!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Binocs may ride in the truck but I don't carry them. What the hell is a PH for except for transporting binoculars?!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote and preference is that you do not need them. If trophy bull hunting, and you want to participate in the trophy evaluation process, then by all means carry them, in the manner correctly shown by Mike. If cow or herd hunting, you should not need them as you will more likely than not be told "Shoot that one on the left" and if you want to precisely ask, "Which one?", you won't be needing binos at that distance and it is a distraction, and possibly dangerous, to switch from your rifle to binos and back unnecessarily.

I have, on occasion, used them to spot elephant at a distance from a vantage point. That is always remedied by keeping them in my backpack stored in the truck. When tracking elephant with a PH who has binos, however, I don't see the point in carrying something you don't need. It all boils down to personal preference and there is no right or wrong about it. Just be glad you are elephant hunting!

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I always carry them, including when I have hunted elephant in the Caprivi Strip.

I won't say that they're necessary for elephant. But they can be quite useful, and they're no particular burden.

I now use an 8.5 or 10 power.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LORD Biebs, did you have to say that!!!!! people are going to think your from Arkansas!!!!! rotflmo
After my first hunt in Uganda I'm a believer in Binoculars. I took a small pair with me and hung them oner my shoulder as demonstrated by MIKE and they where never in the way and I actually got to where I forgot they where there until I wanted to see something. I wil not got hunting any where without a apair from now on.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine hunting anything anywhere without them. You may not need them for elephant up close but there is a lot of wildlife in the Caprivi that you may want a good look at even if it's not on your trophy list. When I hunted elephant in the Caprivi the bird and game viewing was fantastic.I would at least keep a compact set with me at all times.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You can always stick a small pair in your pocket. Not much good for extended glassing, but a lot better than nothing if you find yourself wanting them.

Leica makes some good compact glass.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Paul, to me hunting is more than just the killing part, and when you track elephant with us in Sobbe, you will in all likelyhood have the chance to look at maybe roan/ kudu/ zebra/ interesting bird while walking, and then your own set of bino's comes in handy.

When we approach a bull, it may be in your way, but I do not think so. I prefer my clients at that time to concentrate on what they are about to do, start picking out the shot he/ she wants to take, and in general take in the whole experience, which will definately be minimized if seen through a 8-10x zoomed tunnel. But as a whole, I kike the idea of the client also carrying a bino, and think that 8x30's should be about ideal. (I personally use 10x42's, but remember, my primary job is to asses your animal for you, and I have found the extra power to be handy sometimes, even at the ranges that we hunt ele's at normally.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a scoped rifle, you can always point the gun at something to glass it, but I am not totally at ease with doing that. If you are using open sights for elephant, which is more typical, you won't have any glass with you at all if you don't have a pair of compact binos.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses - 8x32 binoculars will be with me on safari

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I think you made a wise choice. My 8x Swarovskis are with me all the time.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I keep a pair of binoculars in teh truck, never carry them with me.

I like to travel light, and I use the rifle scope to look at anything that requires close inspection.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I always carry at least a pair of 8x30's as there's always something to look at that bino's will assist with.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can anyone hunt without a binocular on their person? I use them constantly. For Africa, I think you might be satisfied with a compact set with 25 or 30mm objectives. The only limitation of these is their lack of brightness in the very dimmest light of dusk or dawn. For 99% of the time they are perfect, while being light and easily carried or pocketed. If you are accustomed to always carrying a binocular, then an 8x30 or 8x42, carried the way that retreever demonstrates, will never be a burden.

John

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 30 January 2011 20:04 Hide Post
Hey Mike...nice ass! Oh, you meant the binoculars! :-) :-)

jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Karl S tells me that I need the binoculars to tell the ddifference between the 80 pounder and the 90 pounder he intends to find for me. Big Grin

I told him I would be happy with either but will carry and use the binoculars if it makes him happy. tu2

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I love to have always with me my Hensoldt military 8x30 without focus regulation.

Quite light, ultra bright, strong and fast because no focus regulation. I think that it is ideal for hunting.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote