Tools

PH dies when elephant fall on him
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted
Very sad. RIP. Condolences to his family
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfr...alls-on-him-20170521

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Our Condolences to the Family.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Damn.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Hey i am sorry Big Guy.
Condolences to the family.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And so many people think these things are harmless gentle giants.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cow herds flat out scare me. The feeling that you are not really in control of the situation creeps in. It impresses me that I am not necessarily in charge here.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prayers to the family and the PH.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. Truly sad. Was in camp in Mozambique with him, as he and his dogs were hunting leopard for my buddy. What a gentleman and what a genuinely tough man.

Condolences to his family. Wow.

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to say I'm already seeing the Liberals circulate the story with their disgusting negativity.liberals are nasty and hipocrytical people with their false moral high ground.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Most sincere condolences

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family and friends.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad....condolences for his family and friends.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
One more waiting for us on the other side. Thoughts with his family.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Cow herds flat out scare me. The feeling that you are not really in control of the situation creeps in. It impresses me that I am not necessarily in charge here.

You got that right! I know the guys I hunted cape buff with are scared of cow elephants. Buff, lion, leopard aren't a problems. Come across a group of cows, its time to go somewhere else!

Condolences to the survivors.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad, my condolences to all concerned.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Washington Post had along and fairly straight up article about the incident. Good for them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.e39cf4c7dd1e

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not surprisingly, the comments are disgusting.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear this. May he Rest In Peace. Prayers to his family and friends. The people commenting negatively on yahoo are disgusting pieces of human excrement.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP and prayers for him and his family.

Some of the reactions to this man's death on various forums are atrocious; the posters of same are less-than-human.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. Gunn:
The Washington Post had along and fairly straight up article about the incident. Good for them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.e39cf4c7dd1e

Interestingly, the Post closed the comment section.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers and condolences to his wife and children.

I guess the takeaway from this tragedy, and the one with the crocs, is that even the most experienced don't always survive when dealing with Africa's DG.

May he RIP.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.i.P.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

It is amazing what my Facebook feed looks like - there is rejoicing from my liberal, conservative, young old and all around the world friends.

Only my hunting friends have said something nice about the ph. Everyone else is cheering a death and for the elephant.

Most read and emailed story on Washingtonpost.com is the ph story.

Strange world.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

It is amazing what my Facebook feed looks like - there is rejoicing from my liberal, conservative, young old and all around the world friends.

Only my hunting friends have said something nice about the ph. Everyone else is cheering a death and for the elephant.

Strange world.

Mike

Not sure I would still call them friends if they rejoiced of the death of what seemed like a decent fellow. Just consider for a second the depravity it takes to post a comment like that amongst people you know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

Strange world.

Mike

Not sure I would still call them friends if they rejoiced of the death of what seemed like a decent fellow. Just consider for a second the depravity it takes to post a comment like that amongst people you know.

But it's universal from my rabid right wing friends (non hunting but gun owning friends) to my liberal vegetarians friends, to my niece who just came back from a vacation in Thailand where she spent time caring for elephants to a German shepherd dog group.

Like I said a strange world.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't do Facebook but my wife does. She told me that she unfriended anyone
that posted comments that rejoiced in his demise. i wish the haters were not so confused.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bellville, Texas | Registered: 21 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Strange world.

Mike

But it's universal from my rabid right wing friends (non hunting but gun owning friends) to my liberal vegetarians friends, to my niece who just came back from a vacation in Thailand where she spent time caring for elephants to a German shepherd dog group.

Mike

You might ask them what if it had been you killed in a like manner?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgrem:
I don't do Facebook but my wife does. She told me that she unfriended anyone
that posted comments that rejoiced in his demise. i wish the haters were not so confused.

I wish the haters had no influence or vote, but alas....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget that when the pressure is on some here become the antis.All of a sudden they say shooting elephants is a bad thing, shooting lions is a bad thing, shooting leopards is a bad thing, hunting is a bad thing, posting photos with your trophy is a bad thing and they continue hanging out on the African hunting forum.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed!!! Condolences to family and friends!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Strange world.

Mike

Mike

You might ask them what if it had been you killed in a like manner?

Then they would all have said

(1) will not happen to you
(2) you should not hunt
(3) this was karma

The one or two that directly messaged me I just said it's the cost of doing business. Then to them I don't have to argue over and over about hunting elephants which I support.

People have this fluffy sense of reality and it shows up on social media. I don't post anything but pictures on Facebook - when I posted a axis hunting picture last year one of my rabid non hunting right wing friends asked why I had to kill a beautiful and animal and could not go by meat at the store like everyone else.

It's tough to fight city hall and I ain't going to get in endless social media wars with emotional friends. Will not get society hunting or me anything.

There have been terrible stories is the regular media especially in U.K. with the press cheering a death.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I posted the Washington Post link to my FB page along with a RIP. If any of my "friends" respond negatively, I will unfriend them. This man was a true professional and his memory should not be besmirched by idiots.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last couple of years, I have seen things I have never thought I would see. Let me name a few:

1- Cheering the death of hunters.
2- Attacking those who have different political views.
3- Destroying the property of others because you were upset at the results of an election.
4- Publically funded universities with riots or near riots because students were not happy with speakers.
5- Being harassed because I bought a bear license.

The list goes on and on and on.......

There is serious mental illness in the world, far more than I ever thought possible.

There might be some people that I might be happy to see die. I would collectively call them criminals, the worst of the worst. There are people that I seriously dislike in this world. Hillary for example. I would not cheer her death. I don't like her aide Huma, nor do I like her politics but I feel awful for her for what she has had to endure from her whack job husband.

From what I see on TV I am beginning to wonder if I am the odd one.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trump has an effect on The Liberal Media!!!

They closed the comments because of The Cheering Liberals. They are DISGUSTING!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
quote:

Trump has an effect on The Liberal Media!!!

They closed the comments because of The Cheering Liberals. They are DISGUSTING!!!

I would argue the best way for someone against hunting to get an article to spread widely is to write a level-headed article about a very contentious subject. That way a) it will be carried by a large media company (check), b) it will be shared widely (check), c) it will bring attention to an activity that many want to stop (check), d) it gives the writer plausible deniability as to his intentions (check). Not really sure who won on that one. I do not know the writer's proclivities.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've seen some pretty disgusting posts here when a non-hunter gets killed by a wild animal. It's not charming or fair from either direction.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I've seen some pretty disgusting posts here when a non-hunter gets killed by a wild animal. It's not charming or fair from either direction.

I have to agree Forest. We can't be issuing Darwin awards and out of the gene pool statement when a non hunter is killed by a animal.

Social media has bred a brutal sense of make believe justice in people's mind. Just type karma and elephant in Facebook search and the post are sickening.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I will also echo my condolences to his family.

If I may offer a very tiny positive out of this very sad event. I had several colleagues come up to me yesterday and ask about elephant hunting since they know I've hunted in Africa before and have another trip planned next year. It has given me a good opportunity to provide information to them about the benefits of hunting elephants and in a Africa in general. Got plenty of the usual bleeding heart responses, but also some open minds who were willing to listen. Not the way I would have chosen to start the conversation, but at least people are asking questions and seeking information.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We are ill-equipped to have an informed conversation with those that make the sort of statements mentioned above. More often than not we simply match their emotional outburst with one of our own then sit back smugly feeling like we have set them straight. The reality is that each time we fall a little further behind in the debate.

We would all be better served if the organizations that support hunting, SCI, DSC and others, did a better job of arming us with the information to have informed conversations with the vast majority of those that have open minds. In the absence of those organizations stepping up, pick up three books and read them to arm yourself, (i) Elephant Conservation by Ron Thomson, (ii) Game Changer by Glen Martin, and (iii) What I Tell You Three Times is True by Ian Parker.

Condolences to the man's friends and family.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote