New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying shotgun shells in Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How difficult (is it even legal ???) is it to buy shot gun shells in Namibia? I'm going to be there for 6 weeks this summer and although I'm bringing a few 5 packs (need 00 Buck for camp wrecking dassies !!!) ... weight limits are about used up with my rifle shells .. (for long range dassies on distant hill sides ) ?????

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Richard:

Are you staying at Felseneck any time while you are over?

What do you plan to hunt this time.

Bob S.
PA

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bob !

I talked to Helgaard on the weekend. I certainly hope to visit .. and maybe do some hunting with him .. My wife is joining me for the last two weeks so that is also a great excuse to visit Christine and Helgaard. To show her the place and the wonderful hospitality ..

On my quota (I'll be just south of Etosha) .. I can take kudu, mtn. zebra, gemsbok, springbok, giraffe, wartie, jackal ...

Bunch of other stuff available .. not sure what I'll want. With that much time ... I suppose I can be selective. Plus I have three friends coming to visit me from Uruguay so I shall do my very best to show them a fabulous time .. which is exactly how they treated me the two times I have hunted with them down there ...

I always prefer to hunt dangerous game .. (I'm the dumb one in the family) so that might also come up .. (I really hope that it does !!!) Cheers !!!

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to get your host to buy the shells for you. If he/she has a shotgun, he should be able to purchase the shells. I don't think you can buy shells unless you can produce a locally issued licence for the weapon.

Camp-wrecking dassies....that's a new one on me. They are shy and generally keep to themselves on the rocky hillsides and koppies, they don't hang around flat ground which is where camp normally is situated. Now porcupines are another thing. Also ground squirrels, although I haven't experienced any destructive behaviour from them. Of course, the worst pests are baboons, if and when they learn that there is food in those canvas houses.

What you will find in Namibia is excellent francolin and guinea fowl shooting. We are starting to run wingshooting trips based on the abundance of gamebirds. Later in the season, the sand grouse provide superb sport.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if things have changed but in 02 I just walked into a gun shop and purchased a couple of boxes of 16 ga. #5 shot. There were no questions ask.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I shan't be bothering the little dassies .. no matter where the varmints might be at any given moment .. If the baboons show up, however, wanting to wear my spare shirts and socks ... Instant one sided Fire Fight !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Rosenthal's in Windhoek sells a variety of shotgun shells, including Spanish-made that seem to do the job. If you need something in 2-1/2" tho, I'd buy them in South Africa or bring them along.

In principle you need a license with a shotgun on it in order to buy shells, or do as Russ suggests and use your outfitter's license. Outfitters usually leave a copy of their own license with their favorite gunshop in Windhoek. If you are taking a shotgun, see if you can get the license issuer at the airport to annotate the ammo column with "local purchase" or something like that so no one is confused by the strike out in the ammo imported column!

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Richard, as you know, the Guinea Fowl at Felseneck will be easily handled by a 22 rimfire. Much more fun I believe, I should have tried to talk Helgaard into letting me use his. Now, Baboons, we need to talk about that. I shot (and hit) several, but never recovered any of them! Both Helgaard and Helifa saw the bullet hits in all cases, but those must be tough mothers...
Peter.

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
The Gun Shop in Windhoek has Spanish-made "R10" Target Load, box of 25 for N$ 60-00. I use them all the time.
How many do you need Richard ?
I would like to see you before you go North, maybe pick you up at the airport.

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amigo, that would be very nice !!! I think that I would need at least ten boxes .. with my average of 1- 2 guinea fowl per box .. I would have two weeks of lunches !!! Too cool !!! Isn't Okahandja sort of on the way up north ??? If so, that might work out very well, indeed !!