THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Brief Report on My Hunt in Zim and Trip to Moz

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brief Report on My Hunt in Zim and Trip to Moz
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just arrived back today after a 12 day safari in Zim and 4 weeks in Moz. Wanted to put together a brief report and photos before jet lag kicks in. I will file full reports in a few days.

Hunted buff and sable with PH Kevin du Boil of Swainson's Safaris between June 12 and June 23. [We hunted with Kevin last season].

The Valley was unusually green and the weather was abnormally hot for the first few days.

We chased a beautiful sable for 2 days. The heat, hills and tse-tse flies, along with sable's cunning, meant we came up empty handed. We did bump into another sable a few days later, but I missed an easy shot. The second year in a row where I have missed an easy shot on sable. No excuses, I just missed. I feel like a real homer when it comes to sable.

We spent a few days in the jesse after buffalo and had a close call with a cow elephant. Almost caught up with a buffalo herd, but they crossed the river into the adjoining concession.

We did manage to take a nice buffalo. We were able to glass this bull while the herd was bedded down. I realized he was a bit soft just above the eyes. He was also a bit soft where his bosses meet, more so than I realized while glassing him. Anyway, I made the decision to shoot him, a decision influenced by the fact that he was clearly a 40+ bull (he measured 42").

I then spent 4 weeks in Moz in the Zambezi Delta region around the Marromeu Buffalo Reserve. I was there on a fact-finding mission. I was able to meet with the National Director of Wildlife and several of the concession holders in the area. I will be putting together a full report along with an information page for Mozambique which will include a list of the safari operators and concessions, quotas, hunting regulations and other information. Hopefully information that will be valuable to our Members when planning a safari to Mozambique.

A few photos from that area (more later).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Welcome back and congratulations on that buffalo. thumb

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry !!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Terry, looking fwd to the stories, info and picts to follow.

Hope you guys had a great time! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congrtulations and welcome back. Almost six weeks in Africa -- I am jealous!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry. I'll be very interested in you Moz report as it looks like it's going to be a great place to hunt. Sorry about the sable but GREAT buff! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry. I look forward to hearing your full report, especially the details concerning Moz.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry. Sounds like a great adventure.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry! Sounds like you had a hoot.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Terry, on a great hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to read your hunt report and your recon of Moz report. Nice Buff.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Your buff is buff. Bully good show. Thanks in advance for the report to follow on the home of the Portuguese Heart Shot. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Terry. I am ready for the full report.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Terry my friend,

Welcome back!

Glad to see you had agreat hunt. I am looking forward to your full report.

We have 17 days left before our next adventure in Tanzania.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Nice bull Terry, glad you had a great time. You will get that sable next time, in case you need a reason to go back.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the report. I look forward to your complete story.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing Terry.

My record isn't much better on sable. I fully sympathize.

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Karibu, bwana! Place hasn't been nearly the same without you!

I am greener than the valley, my friend! Big Grin Cool Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good show, Terry... nice buff! It's funny how some animals become your Holy Grail! Well, that sable gives you a reason (and a good one!) to go back soon. Look forward to your report on Moz. Looks like huge numbers of buff in the swamps...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff and I really look forward to your report on Mozambique as I have been in touch with some people about potentially hunting over there next year. Looks like a beautiful and wild place.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Beauty Buff Terry! I love those big helmet-like bosses! Thanks for the photos. Kevin is a good guy. I'd like to hunt with him some day.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Terry!!! Congratulations and welcome home. That buff doesn't look a bit soft in the bos to me!!!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I don't care what you say Terry, that's a NICE Buff! Can hardly wait for your pics and stories.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey terry back in maputo had one hunt after you left ,spanish client 39.5 inch buff ,very happy client all good so farwill post some photos. chr.
oh and once again great buff

Posts: 17 | Location: its not hell...but you can see it from here. | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17 | Location: its not hell...but you can see it from here. | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
oh and the date stamp on the photo is incorrect this buff was shot on the 26th at 14:20 sorry about that , i cocked that up on the camera havent fixed it yet bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures and info so far, look forward to the "rest of the story". Reminds me of my great adventure in the Selous, I also dream of the Sable someday. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry- Congratulations on a great bull. Looking forward to the Moz info. We were close to Marromeu while at Mahimba as was D. Nelson. Regards, Bob.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Nice pics Terry.... can hardly wait for more and the story.....

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Congratulations on an outstanding buff! Looking forward to the rest of the story! Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, have been trying to catch up here, fighting jet lag and was gone for a couple of days to Dallas to pick up a new dog.

I'll get my Hunt Report and the info on Moz up this week.

Regards,

Terry

automatic,

Nice buff for that Spanish client. I guess he wasn't shooting any of that Kynoch ammo Big Grin

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks for the pictures. They make me more ready to get back to Zim - look very familiar.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote