THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    De Marillac offering Zim hunts on seized land

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De Marillac offering Zim hunts on seized land
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At the Eastern Sports Show, Theo De Marillac Safaris was found to be offering hunts in Zimbabwe on at least two properties seized by the government.

At least two Zim PH’s overheard the Safari Company offering hunts on properties up around Victoria Falls. The description of the properties sounded just like properties confiscated from friends and relatives of these men. When asked the name of the properties, De Marillac assumed the PH’s were show visitors and did name the confiscated properties.

During the land seizures several land owners and workers were murdered and tortured. Some wives had miscarriages and female workers raped. It was often brutal and almost all left with only what they could carry. After explaining this and other issues to the Safari Company, De Marillac claimed if they did not hunt on the properties someone else would. Their attitude to the plight of the Zim PH’s was less than compassionate.

When these lands were taken from the rightful owners much if not all of the equipment and improvements was raided. Buildings, water pumps, roads, etc. were destroyed and now are being neglected. Those that receive moneys from hunting on these lands are not making an effort to put money back into the land. They know someday the land will be given back to the rightful owner so what is their incentive to fix the pumps or not kill more than a quota allows.

Hunters that support these companies support the continued degradation of the land, the animals and the people of Zimbabwe. IMO they also support the manner in which the land seizures were conducted and show the world that we will support land seizures in Namibia, South Africa, Botswana…

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been told by more than one source to stay COMPLETELY away from any of the South African operators now flowing into Zim to hunt on land-reform properties. And specifically, I have heard several negative comments about the operator you mention. I'd be very, very careful. Zim has one of the finest and most professional PH outfitting corps in Africa. Getting a legal license in Zim is probably harder than in any other country. Go with a long standing Zim outfit, or don't go............

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNJohn:
Hunters that support these companies support the continued degradation of the land, the animals and the people of Zimbabwe. IMO they also support the manner in which the land seizures were conducted and show the world that we will support land seizures in Namibia, South Africa, Botswana…

Amen Brother!

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Too bad there isn't a list of operators who are hunting reformed lands in Zimbabwe. I'm sure that it's perfectly "legal" in Zimbabwe. But clients should be aware of what the outfitter is offering.

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
De Marillac has complained to show organizers that they were confronted about offering these hunts. Show organizers told the Zim PH's that this was a Zim matter and they are unaware of any regulations regarding hunts on siezed lands.

Inyathi Safaris has changed its name to African Silwane Hunters. They are still affiliated with a banned member and while they do have Matesti 1 they continue to hunt on siezed lands.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if I'm not mistaken, Inyathi is or was represented by Cabelas, but don't know for sure.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote