New
Find
Notify
Tools

SuperPenetrator in production now
 Login/Join

<Norbert>
posted
The SuperPenetrator, a special non deforming bullet for big game hunting, after intensive testing is now commercial available in Germany. It is the type from copper monometal with a steel cavitator disk. It shows very stable penetration in game and no deviation, tumbling, bending or fishtailing and a up to fourfold penetration length in animals. Only intended for big game it will be fabricated in cal. .416 with 300 grs and 350 grs bullet weight and in .458 with 400 grs and 450 grs. This bullets also featuring driving bands and there are aequivalent deformation copper bullets (softs) available. Manufacturer and distributor is Michael Reichenberg - Spezialgeschosse (www.spezialgeschosse.de). Other calibers are under development.
A description of the basic physics and construction of the SuperPenetrator bullet see www.grosswildjagd.de or SuperPenetrator
Sorry, but a commercial import into the US is not possible at the moment. If interested, ask a friend in the EU for a privat parcel.

-
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some pictures of the soft points one of these days, please and thank you in advance!

350 grain .416 and 450 grain .458 superpenetrators sound outstanding, matched with same weight softs.

Any reason for offering the 300gr/.416" and 400gr/.458" instead of a 400/.416 and a 500/.458, regarding the solids? The soft points of the given weights make sense, but solids ought to be offerred up to the traditional heavyweights, IMHO. However matching soft and solid weights is always great.

Norbert, do you live in EU? Will you be my friend? [Wink] After my GSC debacle, I'm kinda shy. Better yet, how long until a distributor in the U.S.A. can get the pipeline flowing? Years?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DaggaRon:
[QB]How about some pictures of the soft points one of these days.

Any reason for offering the 300gr/.416" and 400gr/.458" However matching soft and solid weights is always great.
--I don�t know, but matching his softs may be the reason

This is the .458 450 gr soft. Expanding copper bullet with three petals.
All bullets will be manufactured with a special moly coating.
 -

<JOHAN>
posted
Norbert

How much for the bullets? What is avilable from the shelf?

/ JOHAN

<Norbert>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:

How much for the bullets? What is available from the shelf?

Per piece Euro 1,80 for .416", Euro 2,00 for .458".
.458" ready for shipment, .416" soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The steel disk type may not be legal to import; best get a BATF ruling first.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The steel overlaps the edge of the bullet, doesn�t that effect the aerodynamics of the bullet and performance at longer ranges. I�d think that the overlapping would cause turbulence around the bullet.

Right me if I�m wrong.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
The steel overlaps the edge of the bullet, doesn�t that effect the aerodynamics of the bullet and performance at longer ranges. I�d think that the overlapping would cause turbulence around the bullet.

The SuperPenetrator is a bullet for really big and dangerous game shot at close distances. BC doesn�t matter. The protruding disk is very essential and outperforming any wide meplat bullets.

<Andy>
posted
Daggaron,

I imagine the reason for the 400/450 gr weight is that the bullets are made from copper, not lead with copper jacket.

The 450 gr Barnes RN is 1.395 inches long, 450 gr Barnes X 1.495 inches, 450 gr North Fork SP 1.458, and 450 GS FN 1.353 inches.

A 500 gr Hornady RN is only 1.331.

I imagine that Norbert did not want the monometal to "tumble," (pitch or yaw).

A 500 gr Barnes X is 1.630. They do pitch and yaw at 2400 fps in my LaGrange stop box even in a 1-10 twist.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
I know, we have been over this before with me trying to get Gerard to make a 300 grain FN and HV in .375 cal. in addition to the 270 and 265 grain FN and HV that he offered. He said he had the 300 grainers developed, they were in my last order, the one he stiffed me on.

All that I am asking for is 0.300 SD for a solid type bullet.

The 300 grain Barnes X-Bullet works fine, as does their monometal solid of same weight and caliber.

The 450 grain SuperPenetrator and soft in .458 caliber is the only one that interests me.

Here are some SD numbers by caliber and bullet weight:

.375 caliber
300 grains, SD = 0.305 [Smile]

.416 caliber
300 grains, SD = 0.248
350 grains, SD = 0.289
364 grains, SD = 0.300
370 grains, SD = 0.305 [Smile] [Smile]
380 grains, SD = 0.314
400 grains, SD = 0.330

.458 caliber
400 grains, SD = 0.273
450 grains, SD = 0.307 [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
500 grains, SD = 0.341

Can you guess my choice of bullet weights for the three calibers above, in a SuperPenetrator?

I am not interested in big bore solids of any kind unless they have an SD of at least 0.300, and anything more than that is superfluous, or might get unstable as you say.

I would go with a 12" twist barrel on any big bore also, and rest assured.

Come on now, can I not have 0.300 Sectional Density? At least there is one .458 I like in the new product described above.

BTW, it is kind of hilarious talking about SuperPenetrators and soft points. Really potent bullets, eh? No deflectile dysfunction with the SuperPenetrator bullet, eh?

[ 09-12-2003, 06:23: Message edited by: DaggaRon ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the "Recovered Walterhog Bullets" threads for a look at how a monometal bullet of 0.305 sectional density performs. It is a soft, but the superpenetrator of the same weight (300 grains) would be shorter than the Walterhog, no doubt.