Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Plainsgame Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have a friend that is considering a plainsgame hunt in Namibia in 2008. For those that have recently (last three years) hunted in Namibia, who are the best outfitters to consider? Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to throw my hat in the ring for Vaughan Fulton & Classic Safaris.

Great animals, great areas and a traditional tented camp with comfort. I really don't think you could go wrong.

2005, 2006 and in 4 weeks! Wouldn't be going back if I didn't feel it was well worth it.

Mark

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

I hunted with Vaughan's outfit last year and will definately do so again.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Waterberg Big Game Hunting Lodge, Otjahewita (PTY) LTD, e-mail Wabi@iafrica.com.na
I hunted with them in 2005, had a great time and wonderfull trophys, Kudu and Gemsbuk are huge on the Waterburg platau.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also want to look at Jan Oelofse's Mount Etjo hunting camp. My wife and I hunted with Jan in 2004 and 2006 and had a great time during both hunts. The rates are great and the animals are spectacular. I wrote a rather lengthy report on the 2006 hunt in the "hunt report" section of AR. Everything in camp is first rate.

Be safe,

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Vaughan this morning and he is very excited about the new concessions he has been granted. These areas are closer to Windhoek than his old areas. Theay are more than twice as big, and just as wild.

As a bonus to the plainsgame hunter, this area has Elephant, Lion, Leopard and Black Rhino. While you can't hunt them, it is always a pleasure to see their tracks while out hunting. You know you are in a wild area.

A few days ago, one of my clients shot a 58" Kudu here, they are still out hunting. Two other clients just returned and can shed a little more light on the area.

I will be glad to help your friend with any info on Vaughan.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Vaughan's concession. I had a great hunt and killed a 50" kudu, 35" bull gemsbok, 16.5" springbok, 15" springbok, mountain zebra and 4.5" steenbok. I saw elephant, leopard and rhino tracks. A report will follow shortly.
Go on this hunt, you won't be disappointed.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that no one has jumped in with the Gras Ranch. Search the posts here and you won't find anyone who wasn't 100% positive about their hunt at the Gras.

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Dirk Rohrmann
Omalanga Safaris
info@namibianhunter.com.na
http://www.omalangasafaris.com/Home.asp?lang=Eng

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe that no one has jumped in with the Gras Ranch. Search the posts here and you won't find anyone who wasn't 100% positive about their hunt at the Gras.

I second that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Classic Safaris in 2005 on their prior concession. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Kibble at www.progress-safaris.com.

Last year I shot 55" &58" Kudu, 41" Gemsbok bull, 44" Gemsbok cow and a 17.5" Springbok. Probably the best concession in the Kalahari, period.

He is known for his huge Red Hartebeest as well. And you can take big Eland, Waterbuck and Sable. thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, what is your friend in for? What are his expectations. IMO it doesn't make any sense to shoot in any names of outfitters. Namibia has plenty to offer. From the typical supermarket -hunt with 16 species in a week to areas and outfitters where you will need ten days to "fair-chase-hunt" three to four critters. Is he in for the real deal or does he simply want to bag?
Feel free to contact me via PM. I'll be in and out for the next couple of days so it may take a while for me to respond.

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kamaatu:
Mike, what is your friend in for? What are his expectations. IMO it doesn't make any sense to shoot in any names of outfitters. Namibia has plenty to offer. From the typical supermarket -hunt with 16 species in a week to areas and outfitters where you will need ten days to "fair-chase-hunt" three to four critters. Is he in for the real deal or does he simply want to bag?

Excellent points.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jriley, I sent you a PM.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this out . I have huntet there in 1998 - 2000 and 2002 and It works !!!!!
if I was going back to namibia only one place stand my hard near Steinhausen jagd/PG Gundolf schlosser
- ons Steinhausen jagd always steinhausen jagd.

http://www.steinhausen-jagd.de

hunt safe
wisent

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
http://www.zingelasafaris.com/

I was at Gras Ranch in 2005. Outstanding time. Wonderful people. A++++ facilities.

highly recommend.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2600 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I did a plains game hunt with Etemba Hunt and Safaris this last March and I'm booked again for next March. Check out http://namibiahunter.angelfire.com

Along with gold medal quality kudu, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest, springbok, and warthog on the 27,500 acre ranch you can also hunt eland, zebra and other plains game on the surrounding quarter-million acre Hochfeld Conservancy. Also, great English-speaking host and hostess.

email me if you need more info

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I took my son three summers ago to Kamanjab via Mims Reed at Hunters HQ. We had a super time, great ranch, hunting, accomodations, and hosts. It's northeast of Windhoed, near Etosha. I'll be happy to give more details this weekend. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input.

I actually got my friend to register on AR, so look for a post soon from him responding to some of the questions and, I am sure, asking some additional ones of his own.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I am, Mike's friend! BTW, thanks Mike for recommending this site..

To begin, thank you so very much for all of your post. I greatly appreciate each of you taking the time to share with me your personal experiences and recommendations. I am a newbie in many regards, african safaries, big bores and posting

To better understand the various possibilities in Namibia, here are my expectations.

1) Fair game hunt…..no interest in “supermarket†hunts
2) Game in order of importance: Kudu, Waterbuck, Oryx, Eland
3) Bonus would be a leopard….not a deal breaker though.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Warm regards,
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Bill!
Okay, here we go. Waterbuck are not endemic to the central parts of Namibia but a lot of farmers have introduced them over the last couple of twenty years. I would look at the central and north-eastern parts of Namibia. especcially the northern parts resemble the natural environment for waterbuck. Eland, Kudu and Oryx are no problem but Leopard...that requires patience.

Who else will accompany you on your trip or will you be going alone? What are your expactations w.r.t. accomodation? Safari style lodge / tented camp / farm house?
How much time are you planning to spend?

Welcome to send me a private message.
regs kamaatu

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a plains game hunt in Namibia. Will post a report later. I hunted with Otjiruze and would highly recommend them. Great accomodations, food, wonderful people and very resonable prices.

www.Otjiruze.com

posted Hide Post
I hunted with Vaughn & Classic Safaris last year. Great people, great hunt, great concessions. If you hunt with them you wont be sorry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Devildawg66,
glad everything worked out. Just returned from Brazil. Would have been nice to meet up with you and Alex.
Hurry up with the report!
Regs kamaatu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kamaatu,

I appreciate your probing questions. I will most likely be going alone however; I may reach out to a college buddy who would be an observer. The length of stay would be 10-12 days; leaning towards lodge/farm house accommodations….

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hunt where there are leopards Bill and I just might tag along. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Looks like I found a hunting buddy. Now we just need to find the right place...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went last year with Jochen Hein of Okatjuru Safaris (www.okatjuru.com) and had a great time--search the Hunting Reports forum and you'll find my report.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Welcome to forum...............

If you have leopard in mind you might need some extra time....

For all the animals mentioned, you can't go past Mike Kibble, I reckon, mate.

You will love Namibia!!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Vaughan Fulton's Classic Safaris. I hunted with them in 2005 and just returned from my second safari with him.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have some very good outfits in Namibia that would satisfy your wishes.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote