Find
Notify
Tools

Black Magic, Contracts and Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
With all the talk about Tanzania this year (and Zambia just closing down hunting a few years ago.. and the gov't mess in Zimbabwe), with interest, I read poster's comments.

Many folks suggest contracts with stipulations that cover such eventualities and another suggests insurance. Do what you wish, but remember several considerations when you make your plans:

1. If one of the contingencies which you fear (say increasing trophy fees by a gov't occurs),
a. Where is the money you'll want back? If it's in Africa, who and where are your going to sue and if you win, how do you enforce the judgment?
b. PH's and outfitters have expenses they incur months before the safari. Do you expect that portion back when it is the gov't, not them that increased the fees?
c. A U.S. outfitter, if used, could be a source from whom to recover, but in this Union, suing across state lines is not simple and if you have, say, less than $40,000 involved, your legal fees will make it hardly worthwhile. In other words, contracts are great, but they are only as good as they are "collectable" in their breach, and multi-state contracts are difficult to enforce, much less multi-country! Usually, the bigger the company (PH or outfitter), the better the chance of recovery (due to sufficient capitalization, need to protect reputation, character, etc... all that, but initial fees are usually higher to pay for all that history... yet, some of my best African experiences were with guys just starting out with one truck and a tent...)

2. Does insurance really cover you? I talked to the SCI recommended company this week, and the answer is "yes and no". "Yes", if you can't hunt because the season was cancelled, but "no" if fees were increased. It's good stuff if you get hurt or have a very ill relative, but it surely isn't all inclusive. I don't think "insurrection" is covered either... what about terrorists shutting down air travel for a few days as in 9-11? Who do you sue? The PH sure didn't fly into a tower.

3. Finally, I think everyone should have a heart to heart with themselves as to what really is their disposable income before they go to Africa (or Las Vegas). Consistancy just isn't an African attribute. In my humble mind, if losing a deposit will ruin a healthy outlook on life and keep you from smiling at your children or wife, don't make plans to go... 'cause you can get screwed and not necessarily by anyone in whom you've placed your trust.

So, what do I do about all of the above?
I try to make as small a deposit as I can and pay upon completetion of the safari. I don't obligate myself for monies that I can't live without. I have decided in advance that "stuff happens" and I'll dodge what I can, and wipe off the brown helmet if I get hit with a big turd. I usually know my PH pretty well before I go (or return?) and realize that I'm putting up eggs and he's supplying ham (if you remember the chicken and pig breakfast joke)... and I try my best to understand his risks just biting the bullet and sharing some of that with him. I do buy trip interuption insurance (and insure firearms, too.. at least the more expensive ones).

I still would go to Africa if I had to swim. To me, it's worth it, regardless... Just my opinions.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you swim this year, does my wife get to ride on your back???

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good post, Ernest and makes perfect sense. Some folks have a whole heck of a lot more disposable income than a lot of us, but that's why I can only go to africa every four of five years and go with someone that will do his level best to refund if things go awry. Another option to cover the eventuality of litigation, is book with an outfitter in your home state? (that's a question) Smiler

I'd love to go to Tanzania, but being "financially challenged" I opt for Zimbabwe as it is obvious at least to me, that you get more bang for the buck there, the downside being the ever-present political turmoil. Unfortunately for me, the places to go are dwindling. Tanzania's out for me, unless of course I just wanted a buffalo, wildebeest (Nyasa) zebra & hartebeest as anything more than a ten day hunt is out of my league at present anyway, as are Zambia and Botswana. RSA just doesn't do it for me so my options are limited and getting more so.

Yes Africa's definetly a place where a lot of us have to really think hard before investing considerable capital, but in my view the rewards far outweigh the risks.

Dale, I think if anybody could swim across, my money's on the Judge! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice perspective on real issues which must be considered before booking a trip. Is the adventure worth some risk - in my book yes.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Ethiopia reopened in 1993, we opted to keep all deposits in an escrow account in the USA until 60 days prior to the safari. We have to start processing about 60 days out front but that is only 60 days exposure to potential problems in country vs. 2 or 3 years. A small, start up safari company couldn't afford to do this as deposits would have to be used to buy exquipment, payrolls, etc. I don't know if any other safari company does this escrow (trust) business or not but I would suspect that some others do.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge you are dead on this one.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote