THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Survivor conservationist recalls being kicked around by an African elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survivor conservationist recalls being kicked around by an African elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted
http://traveller24.news24.com/...an-elephant-20160630

Cape Town - 'The bull elephant probably thought he was defending his herd from poachers.'

This is what the Born Free Foundation says might be the main reason behind an elephant bull's attack on world renowned conservationist Ian Redmond. Although the seasoned elephant expert survived the attack, he has expressed his shock after he was charged by the elephant while out in the field in Kenya.

After working for 36 years with elephants at the Mount Elgon National Park and forest reserve, Redmond said he had never expected to see an elephant attack a human.

But Born Free Foundation, the international wildlife charity, released footage of Redmond’s attack because of the somber reality behind the giant African legend's out-of-character behaviour - it most likely feared a poaching onslaught on the herd of females he was with.

The elephant's fear would not have been unfounded.

According to a recent report by conservation journalist Scott Ramsay, elephant poachers are currently shooting elephants at a rate of about 100 per day, or about 30 000 every year.

SEE: #ShockWildlifeTruths: The Elephants' 97% decline in less than a century

Ramsay says about 10% of the population is being wiped out ever year, and elephants' numbers have declines with 97% in less than a century. This is highly problematic for the species' future, as more elephants are being killed than being born.

Redmond, who was working as a wildlife consultant with Born Free Foundation in Western Kenya at the time, said the incident happened while he was watching a herd cross a forest glade which was about 150m away.

At that point one of the elephants in the reserve turned and started charging towards him.

This is how Redmond remembers the attack:

“As the elephant made contact, I have a vivid recollection of the feel on my hand of his tusk and the softness of the skin of his upper lip.

“I was pushed into a high-speed backward roll and found myself momentarily upside down between his front legs with my feet touching his chest – and then completed the backward roll and landed on my hands and knees under his belly, facing his hind legs.

“I think he was trying to kick me into a position where he could either ‘kneel’ on me with his wrist or reach me with his trunk.

“My next clear memory was of my left hand on his right foreleg and my right hand, still clutching the camera, trying to steady myself.

“I could feel the soft, pliable skin and bristles against my palm – elephants do have hairy legs!

“I think I had either pushed myself or the elephant kicked me out from under his feet, and I landed on the grass to his left.”

Check out the video below to hear his full story: Renowned conservationist survives African elephant attack

https://youtu.be/Ox-FdtrfVOs

Rangers from the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) foiled the attack by firing shots in the air.

If you'd like to aid the conservation of elephants in Africa, you can:

- Donate money to organizations like Save the Elephants and WildAid

These organisations are affecting change both in Asia (to reduce demand among consumers), and in Africa (to help protect elephants in the wild from poachers).

- Visit the national parks of Africa where elephants still live

Kruger, Chobe, Gorongosa, Mana Pools, Hwange, Addo Elephant, and Etosha. Your tourism money provides a valuable source of income and employment for local communities, many of which have to live in close – and sometimes dangerous - proximity to elephants.

Born Free will now also launch a new appeal to support the Mount Elgon Elephant Monitoring team to help eradicate illegal tree-felling and charcoal burning in their forest habitat.

SEE: #ShockWildlifeTruths: Pros and cons of wildlife apps - join Traveller24's twitter chat on 1 July

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently the elephant was a good judge of character. The idiot is lucky to be alive (probably due to the rifle shots, rather than the elephant realizing the man wasn't a poacher. Too idiotic IMO.)

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Another treehugger/bunnylover saved by a rifle.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time trying to watch the video. It doesn't show anything. The camera got knocked out of his hand when the elephant hit him and it's upside down in the dirt facing
the wrong way

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a cow ele rather than a bull to me.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Confused him with a poacher" any genius for the Darwin award...

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After working for 36 years with elephants at the Mount Elgon National Park and forest reserve, Redmond said he had never expected to see an elephant attack a human.

Most likely the most stupid words I have heard in my life. What did this clown think he was dealing with? Stuffed soft toys "Dumbo" ?

Posts: 67 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 19 May 2010Reply With Quote