New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clear trophy's without agent??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have approx.30 finished mounts arriving in New York by ship from Namibia. The shipment will be ready to leave Namibia in a few weeks. In your experiences, can I claim the mounts myself without the expense of a broker?? If so, how do you set it in motion? I would appreciate your comments. Thank You

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,
its the thing to do Smiler
If the shipment is in your name you can clear it yourself so long as there are no Primates or swine in the box, unless they are fully mounted or considered a finished product.

The shipping agent will call you - you have to arrage or menable that.
You show up,pay import duty.which is zero on trophies.
Load up,(make sure you know the crate size) and have appropriate pickup etc
drive home and smile

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
This info may be useful possibly !!

Good luck, Peter
-----------------------

Animal hunting trophies, game animal carcasses, and hides are severely restricted. To find out specifics and how to arrange to bring them into the United States, contact USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services, National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) at 301-734-7830, or on the Web at Veterinary Services - Safeguarding Animal Health (Import/Export) ( Veterinary Services )

The import and export of wild (and endangered) animals is regulated by the U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS).

Hunting Trophies

If planning to import game or a hunting trophy, check with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service first, at Fish Wildlife

Such items generally require a license and only certain ports are designated to handle them. Hunting trophies and hides must be shipped to a USDA-approved taxidermy service for processing. Trophies may also be subject to an APHIS inspection for sanitary purposes. General guidelines for importing game and trophies may be found in APHIS publication Travelers Tips.

Game and Hunting Trophies / Aphis info

If you plan to import game or a hunting trophy, please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service before you leave at 800.358.2104. Currently, 14 ports of entry are designated to handle game and trophies; other ports must get approval from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to clear your entry.

Depending on the species you bring back, you might need a permit from the country where the animal was harvested. Regardless of the species, you are required to fill out a Fish and Wildlife Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation.

Trophies may also be subject to inspection by CBP for sanitary purposes. General guidelines for importing trophies can be found on APHIS web site under Travelers Information; or by writing to USDA, APHIS, VS, NCIE Products Program, 4700 River Road, Unit 40, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231; or by calling 301.734.3277.

Also, federal regulations do not allow the importation of any species into a state with fish or wildlife laws that are more restrictive than federal laws. If foreign laws were violated in the taking, sale, possession, or export to the United States of wild animals, those animals will not be allowed entry into the United States.

Warning: There are many regulations, enforced by various agencies, governing the importation of animals and animal parts. Failure to comply with them could result in time-consuming delays in clearing your trophy through CBP. You should always call for guidance before you depart.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar:
I just cleared my Namibia trophies 2 weeks ago. If the baboons and hogs are "Chemically treated" and ready for "exibition" no permits are required. I down loaded the FWS form 3-177 from their site and had it filled out ahead of time. The customs folks charged me $9.
I had to educate the local guvment folks on their regs. They hardly looked at the animals, only the paperwork.
You need a vet certificate from Namibia.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

I am assuming you live in NYC. Then go to US Fish and Wildlife and ask personally if you can clear them and what you need..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this myself last summer with zero problems. I didn´t know that I needed to contact the customs vet ahead of time so we had a small delay but it all went smoothly.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar:

I am sure it can be done but remember you are "trying" to work with gov't agencies who generally work with brokers etc. My experience with my attempt at clearing the trophies myself was as follows:
The Namibia shipment was addressed to my home address. Paperwork was marked to contact me upon arrival in the USA. Swiss Air did notify me upon arrival and the shipment was stored in a bonded warehouse. After so many days in storage your shipment will begin storage charges too. You must hand carry the paperwork through (3) agencies, Dept. of Agriculture, US Fish & Wildlife and US Customs. The problem I encountered was trying to contact the three agencies to setup an appointment for pickup. I could not contact any of these agencies by telephone at JFK airport to make arrangements for a pickup. I had to drive 3 hours to the airport with a rented truck or trailer and did not want to get there without some prior arrangements. It was frustrating and I eventually told Swiss Air to give the shipment tp Fauna & Flora. I know it can be done but you may run into some problems.

Good Luck,
rslus

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swiss Air did notify me upon arrival and the shipment was stored in a bonded warehouse.

rslus /

You cant blame Swissair ...

The ONUS is upon either your Africa Outfitter / taxidermist / or shipping agent to ADVISE you as soon as they know the airfreight waybill number and the associated flight schedule, that way you then know in ADVANCE when the flight arrives and you have the waybill number so you can then personally follow up and prevent that ( bonding storage ) problem.

I hold someone in Africa responsible for not advising you that KEY information, that is one of the (first requirements) when the trophies are all packaged and ready for freight consignment out from Africa Mad

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bala Bala:

I was not blaming Swiss Air! I said they contacted me when it arrived in JFK. I was notified when it shipped from Africa too!

My point of concern and problems was trying to cintact the USA agencies at JFK. What part don'y you understand? I thought it read clearly!

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep:
Peter is correct. My broker emailed me the waybill. I then followed it on the net. Shipped via Delta Airlines. I knew it was on the ground before Delta called me.
If you have fully mounted, ready for "exhibition", "chemically treated" hogs or baboons, no further permits are required. You do need a Cities Permit from Namibia for the baboon, and a vet certificate of origin from Namibia. Your broker should have taken care of this.
I just cleared 2 hogs and a baboon with no permits.
For any questions about baboons, talk to Dr. David Holmes, CDC, Atlanta Ga. 404-498-2243. He knows the regs. The Anchorage folks had to call him to get first hand information. That information is on their site on the puter.
All the info you need is available on C.D.C, U.S.F.W.S, Ag. Dept and Customs web site.
The permits are required if the animals are to be tanned and completed in the U.S.A.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
rslus

My Apology,

I incorrectly thought you said Swiss did not advise you, I need new binoculars so I can read the screen properly ..

In any event what you describe highlights the problems of DIY and not being able to contact JFK people ete etc.

I still( strongly believe ) hunters trying to save a penny by DIY often waste a pound, as, unless (you are there on the ground in person) at JFK you may as well be p....ng in the wind with lack of service at times.

A qualified (africa exerienced clearing agent) has to still be the best option IMHO and he must be instructed to clear the consignment without bonding etc.

If a shipment is going beyond the PORT OF ENTRY ie NY, then if your USA taxidermist got a (special through permit) in advance it would circumvent that lying in bondage @ JFK storage cost ...

Although I personally tell all clients or personal enquiries to contract a CLUED up home based (clearing agent/taxidermist) I cant really add any more helpful ideas

Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the imput. I live only 20 minutes or so from JFK airport, and even closer to NY's seaports. This is why I would like to try a DIY option. Everything is mounted, and the skulls(baboons and w-hog) are finished too.
If they come by Ocean, where do I claim them?
I'll be calling U-Haul and getting some friends to help me out.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

Contact the taxidermist in Namibia and ask what sizes of crates they are shipping to you and weight...Then have shipper fax you the papers and vet certificate...This you will need in hand..
You may just want to rent one of those mini uhhaul van or truck...
Contact widowmaker416 he clears all of his shipments..He will tell you exactly what you need to know and what papers ... thumb

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just cleared mine today. No trouble at all.
Fish and wildlife was very helpfull, Custom was friendly, a new agent was going to charge me a inport duty but was quickly set straight by a more experienced agent. It was no big deal.
I down loaded a form 3-177 from the net filled it out a head of time left blank what I was not sure of.
They helped me finish it there. total cost $25.00

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,
Where did you pick them up from? So the shipper did address the shipment to your home, correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar
Go on line to fish and wildlife. They have a list of several sites. My home town New Orleans happens to be one. name your self as agent/ importer. You will need a way bill # to track through the carrier. The shipping agent will provide it and the name of the carrier. You should get a call when it arrives but it is best to follow it's trip. Once in the states first deal with fish and wildlife, if you have swine or primate then dept of ag.,then customs. You need form 3-177 for fish and wildlifeand any cities permits. I did not have to deal with Dept of ag. once cleared by those two , you see customs who may want to inspect or they may just sign off.
you are on your way.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple scans of info from the APHIS Animal Products Manual.
If you can't read them, let me know and I'll try again.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Another.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
A better important part of first page.