Find
Notify
Tools

Food on Atlanta-Jo'burg flight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

What are the arrangements for food and sodas in economy class on the SAA flight to/from Atlanta-Jo'burg?

Ought we to take our own munchies?

(You'd think for $1600 fares you might get soft drinks.)

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Breakfast, dinner, and a snack were served with all of the soda's and H20 desired. They even served wine with dinner!
Not bad as far as airline food goes..... Only complaint is size and spacing of seats.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They will also give you as much Amarula as you like in those tiny little bottles.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I flew Swiss from Chicago to Zurich to JBrg. It seemed like all they did was feed us the whole trip. They also provided as much swiss wine and beer as you wanted as well as soft drinks and water.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree...food was quite good on our flight. And plenty of it. Drink lots of water!

And try to get upper deck seating...there are only about 60 seats up there, so it's like flying in a 737. Three across each side. And if you're really lucky, you can score the exit row up top. I wasn't that lucky.

Another trick if there is two of you going is to book the aisle and the window seat upstairs. If someone gets between you, trade them the window for their middle and you can still sit together. If you get lucky, no one between you and you get a whole row.

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raven- no more upper deck seating.Haven't you heard,We're taking the bus now.(Airbus 300)The good old days of upper deck utopia are gone...eyedoc

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they still have beer available? Used to be no charge, I'm hoping still the same, but my instincts tell me no. I know that on my most recent international flight (Jan 1) to Spain, it was the first international flight I've been on that didn't have complimentary beer. The times are a changin!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last month going ATL-JNB and back on South African, I didn't take notes but remember the food as being mediocre quality and only one meal per flight plus a snack. I suggest bringing the munchies.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone flown on the new airbus? How was it?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Kudu56,

From what I hear, If your over 5'10", you might as well start swimming.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Check out the Post "New SAA Airbus" Or if you don't have time, the Airbus sucks......

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
What if any are the restriction on carrying your own liquor on the flight. This is our second trip and I never even bothered the last time. I didn't sleep a wink on the Boeing and the Aribus sounds even worse. I may need something to ease the pain.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One word....

"Ambien".

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art, I thought you said you didn't need food on that flight?

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't. If I want some, I usually take it with me. If you have it at the correct time, it does a lot to eliminate jetlag. Also, if they have beer, that is great. If they don't, no biggie. I was just inquiring. As in regard to a question a couple of posts up, I may take a six pack with me. I'm sure not going to buy it at $2 or $3 a can from them. Regarding the complimentary beer, I'd just as soon they didn't AND lowered the fare accordingly, but if they do, I already paid for it and I'm going to get it.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Two words to add: Ambien "and scotch"

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen to Ambien.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote