Find
Notify
Tools

African quote and picture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Anyone remembering seeing a quote something along the lines of "A hunter remembering Africa and the look in his eye can only be understood if you have been there"

That's not exactly it but close and cannot remember where I saw this but it was captured in an African sunset picture with maybe some wildebeest.

Looked around online but couldn't find it.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will tell you how he plans to go back. …..David Petzer

http://gentlemanbobwhite.tumbl...ou-meet-a-hunter-who

David,

Is this the quote?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9424 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi;

If that's not the one he is looking for, it is definitely one that explains how we African hunters feel!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Kathi, YES!!

Thank you very much!

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great quote, obviously. And, I'd seen it before, but I'd never seen it attributed to anyone in particular. So I did a search for David Petzer.

Not that uncommon of a name, somewhat surprisingly. One, an executive of a Nigerian company, is contemporary. Perhaps it was he who made this statement. A lot of others; dating way back.

Any idea who said this?

Posts: 10144 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the quote is from David Petzal a frequent writer and field editor of Field & Stream.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Kathi;

If that's not the one he is looking for, it is definitely one that explains how we African hunters feel!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards, D. Nelson

What about this one?

Hartebeest are red
Wildebeest are blue
I am going hunting
Are you coming to?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Petzer.

field and stream few years back great short story

https://books.google.com/books...vid%20Petzer&f=false

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Kathi;

Thanks for posting!

Best regards, D. Nelson

What about this one?

Hartebeest are red
Wildebeest are blue
I am going hunting
Are you coming to?

117 days and counting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D,
WHERE ARE YOU GOING?????

Posts: 10293 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
D,
WHERE ARE YOU GOING?????

Ross you have a PM. Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stradling:

Thanks for the article. I enjoyed it. 1979. I was dreaming of it, but Africa was a long way away for broke college student at that time.

Interestingly, I was reading his comments on rifles and some things never change. My light rifle last year as a .30-06 and my light rifle next year is a 7mm Weatherby. (I prefer a .416 to a .375 for a medium, but I like that he calls it a medium, which is what it is).

Posts: 10144 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great article, thanks. Yep, I graduated high school in 1979 and Africa was a long way off for me then. I am trying hard to catch up now, though!

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
lavaca some things never do change

taking the kids to africa this year as my last daughter will graduate this spring and it's now or never for a full on family trip

so I clipped that story out of field and stream and sent it around to all 10 people going on the trip

then i inserted pictures of my hunt in botswana in 2008, the sunburn face, the eland shot in the flank w a 7mm weatherby finally hours later finished of by the ph with a heavy rifle

trophy i did not deserve for sure

the women standing in line for water

-photos of sunrise -- sunset and so on

us amongst the elephants for the first time, stuff like that

about 3/4's of what he reports in the story i had recorded in photo

we got a real laugh out of the ''some things just stay the same'' part of it

and as it is so well crafted, the story did sprinkle, more than a little magic through the group

sounds like some of that magic stuck to you-- as it has to me

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stradling:

Good on you for taking the kids this year. Some folks have said you can only have a "first safari" once. While that is true, you can cheat a bit and enjoy the first safari experience vicariously by taking someone else on their first safari.

I'm sure this one will be very special for you.

My wife is accompanying me on her "first safari" next year in Masailand. I'm looking forward to it more than I can describe.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Two other quotes From AR members I like: Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as to much gun. AR member Will.

I've smelled the smoke of Africa, and seen the elephant, Mac37

I have been in both places and the quotes sum it all up.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote