Notify
Tools

Thermal Scout - Fair chase or !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Guests

Amongst the many emails that I get there are of cource those wanting to promote or sell products ///

PREAMBLE ( Marketing Quote )

Few technologies in the hunting industry provide as much potential for the advancement of our sport. The largest benefit being the extension of our visual perception beyond visible wavelengths. Thermal Scout thermal imaging technology gives you the ability to see through total darkness, rain and snow to detect and identify animals and whether or not they are mortally wounded. The ability to recover otherwise un-recoverable animals is a quantum leap forward in protecting our sport and ensuring that it survives for our future generations.

Game recovery
Scouting and tracking
Game census
Trophy evaluation
Wildlife monitoring
Non-invasive hunting property management

( End of Quote )

Well although I understand the quote is from a marketing point of view, what do the AR guests think about Thermal Scout, it is a good tool in our outdoor arsenal or not, and has anyone actually got one and can enlighten us more on the pro's or cons ///

My personal initial thoughts it might have some benefits for (Ranch Owners) and hunters possibly !

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put it in the same category as using a helicopter to locate a rhino. Just bad form.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Might be good on wounded game, especially dangerous game in the dark. What about leopard?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
They don't work very well. They need a big tempature differential to work at all. I have tried to use one for locating wounded or downed game in Louisiana but generally it is not cold enough here and the brush is too thick. Buy a dog. Works much better.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've used a bit of NV and thermal stuff, and my hunch that if this item sells for less than 3 grand it is junk. If it sells for less than 4 grand it most likely is junk too. When it starts getting up around 5G it might work, but it will not work like you think it should.

Thermal looks cool in the movies but can leave a bit to be desired in the real world. Also, detection and identification are 2 different things! Just because you can see a white blob does not mean it is whatever you are looking for.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote