New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question for the Experts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where and when is the "Best" of Africa as far as trophy quality?

For example:

The Big Five (jumbo, lion, leopard, buffalo, don't worry about rhino)

Mountain Nyala

Sitatunga

Bongo

Lord Derby Eland

Kudu

Waterbuck

etc.

and anything else you think of....

I am looking for input from booking agents, PHs, and those who have "been there and done that".

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No where in Africa, It's in the Quadalupe Dunes with the Snowy Plovers

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a been there. You're list is extensive. On par with asking where in Canada would be the best place to shoot a caribou, desert mule deer, alligator and Roosevelt elk. Place doesn't exist. My recommendation would be to find a good outfitter in RSA or Namibia and take the animals they offer there. Then schedule other trips to other countries to sample the animals that live there.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll play but with the caveat that these are my picks from my expereince. Nobody knows THE best place to hunt all those animals and as soon as I say xyz is best somebody will say "but a shot a monster wildezebra in this place so it must be best".

Anyway these are my picks based on trophy quality and success rates.

Lion: Masailand Tanzania, Kafue area Zambia and Save Valley Conservancy in Zim

Leopard: Luangwa Valley Zambia

Buffalo: Masailand Tanzania

Elephant: Several areas in Botswana, Hwange and Gonarhezou Park areas in Zim, Masailand Tanzania

Mt. Nyala: I have no personal expereince with this fabulous trophy

Rhino: Mkuze Game Reserve RSA

Sitatunga: Tondwa area in Zambia

Bongo: SE Cameoon

LD Eland: Cameroon savanah Faro River. Area 39-41 in CAR

Kudu: Strangely ranches in Botswana nera Ghanzi

Waterbuck: Without question the Zambezi Delta in Mozambique.

That's enough for me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Elephant: Several areas in Botswana, Hwange and Gonarhezou Park areas in Zim, Masailand Tanzania

I thought Kai Uwe-Denker's area of Namibia consistently produced the top trophies.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I'm sure your right but remember my post said I was drawing from my own expereince. Personally I have no expereince with Namibian elephant or booking elephant in Namibia.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chobe Bushbuck - Why do you ask? Are you planning to hunt, or have you hunted all of these species already??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
AAron dont waste your time with him...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
San Diego at the African Game Park.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote