Find
Notify
Tools

GPS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I've had no end of GPS units over the years and they're helluva useful tool when hunting in Africa but they all seem to suffer from the same weakness of having esily scratched LCD screens. All it takes is a careless leopard crawl or a push through some really dense thorns and the screen is buggered and my Garmin 60 CSX has recently suffered the same fate.

I've tried a number of supposed fixes such as Displex & Rain Guard and none seem to make it any better...... So, has anyone out there got any solutions that work on badly buggered LCD screens?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use replaceable screen covers. You can get them like the ones they use on cell phones, you can cut them to size. The come in packets of 5 to 10. When they get scratched you peel them of and put a fresh one on. They are not as "clear" as the screen itself but they do save the screen from accidents, keys in your pocket, etc.,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

You could try polishing the screen if it isn't scratched too deep. You could probably find something locally that is designed for cleaning/polishing iPod screens.

I think you might be able to get away with polish designed for aircraft canopies as well. Talk to one of your local helicopter pilots, they should be able to give you some ideas.

Colin

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote