Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy in Johannesburg?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted
How many have you have had your taxidermy work don in Johannesburg, or South Africa. What was the animal like upon return? Would you ever do it again? What is the name of a good reputable person to do all of our work there? Thank you for your help.

Steve

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Twice (one batch is there now). and Yes, I would do it a third time. I use Kwiktan (they have a website) and when all is said and done, I save about 40% on what it would cost me to have it done by a big name taxidermist here. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The best taxidermist I know of in Africa or anywhere else in the world for that matter is Lifeform Taxidermy..... They're in White River South Africa and not Johannesburg though.

You can see their work at www.lifeform.co.za All their work is excellent - but the real test of a taxidermists skill is to look at how well they do their cats (esp Leopards).......and their cats just take your breath away....

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have also used LifeForm with excellent results. This is not to say that others are not good, I just haven't used them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Another vote for LifeForm. The are honest and reliable folks to deal with.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a company called Zululand Taxidermy in Pongola in Natal. I can NOT recommend them.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Life-Form. Fairly price, high quality, reasonable turn around time.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near the Daniel Boone Homestead | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 10 plains game trophies at Highveld Taxidermists, a father-son operation in Joburg. This is my first trophies from Africa so I postive, but am confident in both the work and the condition of said mounts upon arrival in the states. Met them SCI Reno last year and it sounds liek they go over board on the padding, always good to hear.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine done with TransAfrican. They are located in JoBerg.

I was happy with their work and would use them again. I got them back 11 1/2 months after the safari ended. If you would like to see some of their work I posted some pictures of them on the Trophy Room page under "Hill Country trophies."

Cost to air freight 7 shoulder mounts and 2 rugs was around $1900. Make sure to add the shipping into your calculations.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used LifeForm Taxidermy and Dennis Doherty Taxidermy. All of my African animals have been taxidermied there and shipped. I have not had one disappointment to date, and will have my 2006 animals done in Africa as well.

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I used Highveld in Pretoria for dip and pack and a warthog skull. Very easy and pleasant to deal with. Very prompt turnaround once they had my capes and horns.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that others had good luck with Kwiktan in Jo'berg but I will go to my grave with the opinion that I would not let them clean out my toilet much less ever do any more tanning or taxidermy for me!

Here's the story (you have to scroll through the thread):

I don't recommend Kwiktan!

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I am going to try Andre Van Rooyen but haven't seen the results yet. However, I am only having a Shield Mount of my Eland done, the waterbuck will just be trophy prep. Probably not the kind of work that will allow one to make any generalizations about results on cats or shoulder mounts.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had animals done in South Africa and the US. I will never have anything done anywhere in africa again. There's just no comparison and the shipping these days is prohibitive.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote