New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penetration of the .458 on buff.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just read an article in Rifle magazine by John Barsness about the .416 Rigby. On a buff he took in Zambia, I think it was, he shot it with a .375 H&H first and then the PH shot it twice with a .458 and Barsness ended it with a shot from his .416 Rigby. The .458 solids from the PH missed the hip he was aiming at and entered the rear of the paunch but did not reach the lungs and being of not much use. Do you suppose these two shots were only doing 1900 to 2000 fps at the muzzle as the .458 has been shown to do sometimes? He shortly afterwards made a water buff hunt in south Texas(yes DG hunting in Texas) and the water buff another hunter shot took slugs from first a 9.3-8mm Rem. mag or 9.3 Sisk as in Charlie the gunmaker Sisk, a couple of .458 Lotts and a .375 H&H slug. The 300 grain Swift A-frame at 2,650 fps from the "big-dang gun"(in the 9.3 Sisk owner's own words) hit right on the point of the shoulder but barely made it into the on-side lung. Hitting the point of the shoulder would be a tough test fot any bullet/caliber combo. Texas hunting regs outlaw the hunting of DG from Africa and India but these water buff are of the Philippine sub-species(tight curved horns) so maybe don't fit the legal description. Yee-Yaa!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not to be a cynic(!) but all that sounds like hooey. A plain, old .375 with good bullets will kill any buff, if hit correctly, that ever walked.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just read an article in Rifle magazine by John Barsness about the .416 Rigby. On a buff he took in Zambia, I think it was, he shot it with a .375 H&H first and then the PH shot it twice with a .458 and Barsness ended it with a shot from his .416 Rigby. The .458 solids from the PH missed the hip he was aiming at and entered the rear of the paunch but did not reach the lungs and being of not much use. Do you suppose these two shots were only doing 1900 to 2000 fps at the muzzle as the .458 has been shown to do sometimes? He shortly afterwards made a water buff hunt in south Texas(yes DG hunting in Texas) and the water buff another hunter shot took slugs from first a 9.3-8mm Rem. mag or 9.3 Sisk as in Charlie the gunmaker Sisk, a couple of .458 Lotts and a .375 H&H slug. The 300 grain Swift A-frame at 2,650 fps from the "big-dang gun"(in the 9.3 Sisk owner's own words) hit right on the point of the shoulder but barely made it into the on-side lung. Hitting the point of the shoulder would be a tough test fot any bullet/caliber combo. Texas hunting regs outlaw the hunting of DG from Africa and India but these water buff are of the Philippine sub-species(tight curved horns) so maybe don't fit the legal description. Yee-Yaa!

=====================
This is perfect.! and what i have been saying for along time
There are alot of people big name gun people .!
who couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle
if thay stood on top of the BULL and that's all thay pedal is BULL.
And once thay.!! miss it's someone else's fault or bad bullet's ...Try pointing the finger the right way for once.

Writter's boy don't get me started .!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Not to be a cynic(!) but all that sounds like hooey. A plain, old .375 with good bullets will kill any buff, if hit correctly, that ever walked.

Yes, with a broadside shot.

The question is:

Quote:

The .458 solids from the PH missed the hip he was aiming at and entered the rear of the paunch but did not reach the lungs and being of not much use. Do you suppose these two shots were only doing 1900 to 2000 fps at the muzzle as the .458 has been shown to do sometimes?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such things could happen with any caliber or bullet I suspect, but I'm with Will on this one, bunch of ca-ca!!

For one thing it is illegal to own dangerous game on a game ranch in Texas, so he was breaking the law or shooting domestacated cattle....

When a 458 or 9.3 fails on a buffalo, then there is some underlying reason for that failure such as compaction, poor loading practices, inferior factory ammo or something and yes a 375 H&H will kill any buff on this earth with a properly placed shot, heck a 308 will probably do that. A properly placed shot is heap big medicine on dangerous game.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That little Rodeo down in Texas sounds like a classic Philippines Goat F**k.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The .458 solids from the PH missed the hip he was aiming at and entered the rear of the paunch but did not reach the lungs and being of not much use. Do you suppose these two shots were only doing 1900 to 2000 fps at the muzzle as the .458 has been shown to do sometimes?

This may well have been the case. It is also possible though that the bullets may have stopped in the stomach - I am not 100% sure but I think that a buffs stomach sits on the left hand side...so if the PH�s shots entered from that side missing the hip and continued into the stomach this may also have had something to do with the limited penetration. I have never seen it myself - fortunately either luck or calibre and rifle performance have saved me from that....but I have heard more than once that a 458 bullet regardless of type might be stopped by the contents of a buff with a full stomach...???

Either way - there are a number of people with much more experience than I, who avoid using the .458 because of various question marks hovering over its penetration performance in certain situations, most notably, frontal brain shots on elephant. That said - I also know a guy who is an incredible ballistics expert, of the old school sort - who insists with passion that the .458 LOADED PROPERLY is the ideal rifle for big game.

hubba hubba hubba who do ya trust??? me? The 375!!

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly loaded a 458 Win is an excellent cartridge..Only failures I know of are on elephants, not buffalo..and that was with inferior loadeddown factory ammo, and hot loaded rounds that created compaction......

It is short of powder capacity and poorly designed, thus the problem and for that reason, I personally don't use it, but again with a "proper load" it is an excellent round capable of killing anything on this planet...So will the 375 H&H and a host of other cartridges.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I just returned a few days ago from Chewore, where I took a nice old buff with my .458

I got caught up in a bunch of things and didn't have time to work up any reloads, so I went with a box of factory Hornady solids and Federal softpoints. I shot my buff at 30 yards with a soft that exited the offside and dropped that thing like he was clubbed with an axe handle. While he was dead before he hit the ground, I put another solid in his chest between his legs.

we retrieved it from the spine and it was perfect other than rifling marks.

Every animal I shot dropped in it's tracks with a single shot.

With todays more efficient powders, better quality control and precision equipment, the problems people talk about with the .458 are old and no longer a concern.

My PH, Mike payne carries and old Rigby in .404, and he is having it rebarreled in .458, and the other PH in camp, Ian Gibson has carried his .458 for decades.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote