Find
Notify
Tools

internal flight in RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
If anyone needs internal flights in RSA you might like to consider going to http://www.kalula.com

I've just had an email from them confirming they carry hunting firearms and they're a whole lot cheaper than SAA. For example their one way fare JIA to Nelspruit KMIA is under R300.

They fly to the following cities:

Johannesburg
Capetown
Durban
George
Port Elisabeth
East London
Nelspruit KMIA

And here's a copy of their e-mail.....

Hi there,

Hunting rifles may be checked in with your baggage, but the ammo must go with you in your hand luggage.

Fire arm must be seperate from the rifle.

Bye for now,

kulula.com
----- Original Message -----
To: info@kulula.com
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 3:19 PM
Subject: Firearms

posted Hide Post
Steve,

A friend had an email from them saying they are also going to be flying to Eastgate Airport, Hoedspruit in the very near future too.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Pete

Sounds good to me - It's gonna cheaper for me to fly than it is to drive.....SAA have been fleecing us on this route for far too long...

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I clicked on the link you provided and it takes me to a Japanese website Confused

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Perhaps that's a chink in their armour.... jump Try going to http://www.kalula.co.za and you'll find a link to the airline at the top right.......

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]

And here's a copy of their e-mail.....

Fire arm must be seperate from the rifle.

Someone explain that statement to me! Eeker

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I hadn't noticed that - My guess is they meant ammo or bolt seperate from the rifle but I'll e-amil them again to check -

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Perhaps that's a chink in their armour.... jump Try going to http://www.kalula.co.za and you'll find a link to the airline at the top right.......

This link didn't work either-it took me to a company that makes headsets Confused

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike if you go to that site and look at the top right of the screen you'll see a box asking if you meant kalula.com - click on that & it'll take you to the site you want.....

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
OK, now I got it figured out. One thing does puzzle me though: On their website, under the topic of Firearms it says "Firearms simply cannot be accommodated on our flights. Please make alternative arrangements to transport these bad boys".

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I saw that as well but sent them the e-mail to check and got the reply I posted above. My guess is that they didn't have a firearms carriers licence when the site was constructed and now either have a full firearms carriers licence or a limited one that allows them to carry hunting rifles but not handguns. I've sent them another e-mail for further clarification and I expect to hear from them tomorrow AM. - I'll post further news tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mike if you go to that site and look at the top right of the screen you'll see a box asking if you meant kalula.com - click on that & it'll take you to the site you want.....

The correct URL is: http://www.kulula.com/

Notice the difference is spelling; it's kulula not kalula.

Gotta keep our URLs straight!! Big Grin Big Grin

-Bob F. Smiler

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
I think someone has been drinking toooooo much Kahlua Coffee Liqueur roflmao

Take care and enjoy your flight

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here's their reply:

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion. The ammunition must be separate from the rifle. We do not accept any handguns at all.

Bye for now,
kulula.com

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

In typical me fashion, the only day they don't fly is the day I arrive and want to go to Nelspruit!! Saturday...

does anyone know if any of the other airports they fly to are near to the Kruger? I know it's a big place but if we were going to fly into Nelspruit then that would give you an idea.

We are finally finishing up near the limpopo in a place called Seditse if that helps.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
SAA fly daily and there's also a bus link that takes about 4 or 5 hours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how wide known this is because I hadn't ever heard it before and I read alot about Africa travel. If you are using Delta FF miles, I believe you get one internal flight on SAA free. Last year I was booking a FF ticket to Joburg and mentioned I had to arrange for another flight. The agent asked what my final destination was and he included it in my ticket. The flight I needed to catch was earlier than my arrival time so I spent one night in Joburg. On the way home I wanted to spend an extra night in Joburg and that was allowed also. I saved over $500.00. After my trip I have read of others doing the same thing with Delta FF.

posted Hide Post
FB,

As I mentioned Kulula are supposed to be starting a service to Hoedspruit so that might work for you although I am not sure which would be the nearest gate into the Kruger from there.

You could also fly to Phalaborwa which is one of the main enterance to the Park, but I don't know who flys that route.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I whent by Kulula from Johannesburg to Cape town last year i april with my hunting rifle checked in.

No problems att all!

I had the rifle in my suitecase and the bolt in my buddies (that used my rifle during the hunt). I stated that to the guy in the check in and he was ok with that.

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote