New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baggage allowance/SAA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If the baggage allowance is 44 lbs. for international travel[U.S. to RSA], is that the total weight of 2 checked bags, or per each bag? If you are overweight, how much is the excess baggage fee per lb.? Thanks.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Whatever the baggage allowance currently is, it is per bag. Check with SAA on their website as to the current fees on overage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog, it is for each checked bag.
If you leave from the US you can usually get by with bags up to 50 lbs before they hit you up for a $25 fee for 51 to 70 lbs. When I left Zim in Nov I had a bag that weighed over 70 lbs, they would not carry it I had to take out some stuff and put it in another bag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's right. I just reviewed the SAA website and confirm what is posted above. Those are the rules applicable to a flight originating from or going to the United States.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Although it was an non-hunting related international trip, I can tell you that weight is very much a concern for the airlines.

I sat on a delayed international flight (AA from Frankfurt to DFW) for close to two hours because the flight was "too heavy". They actually took cargo off and asked two standby passengers to get off the plane.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think BA is still @ 70.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

I sat on a delayed international flight (AA from Frankfurt to DFW) for close to two hours because the flight was "too heavy". They actually took cargo off and asked two standby passengers to get off the plane.

Fat ones?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no lawyers

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

Fat ones?

I often thought that the airlines should set a total per person cargo limit. Step on the scale with your bags. If you're over the limit (e.g. 300 lb), you pay an excess "baggage" fee. It's only fair since the airplane cannot distinguish a bag that is stowed below from another stored in the cabin above Wink

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do know we are out of the dark ages don't you?

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
For most of the real world (don't know about the US), the checked allowance is 20 kgs (ie 44 lbs) in TOTAL. And SAA are real bastards that start charging pretty quickly once you go over that limit.

I got hit pretty hard by SAA on my recent safari. It is almost impossible to stay within that limit if checking in a gun case with a heavy rifle inside.

For my future flights to Africa, SAA will be pretty close to the bottom of the list when I look at airlines to use.

I would be confirming it is for EACH bag or TWO bags with the airline before buying an airticket.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the really love attorneys, who, being fully of hot air, once they are belted in, actually create lift like balloons. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fail to understand the weight and the guns per one case issue. The airlines pay people to figure out how hot it is, what is the altitude of the airport, how many people will supposedly be aboard and so that they can figure fuel load. Now Mr. Hunter shows up with some case that has three or four guns in it and the airlines says "No..you can only have two guns per case." Where is the logic to that? Why would they want the extra space taken by case #2?
The weight of the guns will be the same but now they have the weight of the extra case and less space in the belly because of it?

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The airlines must make more per pound on cargo than passengers/baggage.

So the passenger gets it in the shorts.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry
This is only a theory, but I think the only 2 guns per case rule came about when hunters starting using those big heavy 3gun Safari cases that became popular a few years ago.
With 3 guns they were just too heavy for baggage handlers to handle.
I have traveled with "2 gun" cases or a tuff-Pak carrying 3 long guns or 2 long guns and 4 handguns in the same case a few times with out problem [don't ask dont tell]. It is the weight and size of the case that was the issue.

However with the new 50 lb weight limit it would be hard to pack 3 long guns in any single case.

That is the nice thing about the Tuff-Pak, you can carry more than just guns.

If I wanted to take more than 2 guns I would just travel with 2 Tuff-Paks, which I did on my last trip to ZIM.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Whatever the baggage allowance currently is, it is per bag. Check with SAA on their website as to the current fees on overage.

"For most of the real world (don't know about the US), the checked allowance is 20 kgs (ie 44 lbs) in TOTAL."

Okay, which is it? 20 kg per bag, or 20 kg total checked baggage?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SAA web site at least is fairly specific:

"The free checked baggage allowance shall be:

* First & Business Class: 2 pieces with 32 kg (70lb) each and maximum dimensions of 158 cm (62inches).

* Economy Class: 2 pieces with 23 kg (50lb) each and maximum dimensions of 158 cm (62inches) each

NOTE: In case of excess weight up to a total of 32kg (70lb) per piece, a flat rate of EUR/USD 25 will be charged for the first or second bag exceeding 32kg (70lb) total weight and for any additional piece normal excess baggage rates apply.

Firearms and Ammunition
Are included in the free baggage allowance (Subject to correct transportation and safety procedure being followed)."

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Per bag.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
SAA nailed us on over weight a couple years ago. We were returning from Windhoek to Joburg with the same bags, no additional weight.$100USD each. We got to Joburg going to Pretoria, $100USD each. The return to Joburg from Pretoria was going to be $100USD each.I screwed em out of the chicken shit $100USD each, I rented a car and drove back to Joburg.
Because of that little fiasco, unless I absolutely have to, I will never fly SAA again.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
There's different rules here, one for US and one for the rest of the world. I know for the rest of the world it's one (or 2 maybe) checked bag at 20 kg total allowance or pay. By the time you get your rifle and ammo packed, it's 20kg. Then you're allowed an 8 kg carryon for free. All else is pay you sucker pay.

I would also look for different airlines, and leave SAA as a last resort.

One note: I couldn't get an answer or figure out what golfers, musicians, surfers or other hobbyists do with their sporting equipment. But it should be the same for everybody. The US fought and had some clause put in to get that FANTASTIC allowance. At least they can travel without too much worry about what to take!! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most airlines have a policy that "sporting equipment" flies free. I see people with golf bags, skis, dive tanks, etc. who are not required to include the weight of these items in their allowable total. A rifle is a piece of sporting equipment as well and I've never understood why they don't fly free as well!
PS: The worst "rip-off" airline that I've encountered was Air Zambia. I flew Jo'Burg to Zambia without a hitch. At the end of my hunt, I left half of my gear with the PH. I must have been at least 20 pounds lighter on the return trip but Air Zambia nicked me, and my travelling companion both, for $67USD for "overweight charge". I wrote it off as another typical African fleece job.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

"For most of the real world (don't know about the US), the checked allowance is 20 kgs (ie 44 lbs) in TOTAL."

Okay, which is it? 20 kg per bag, or 20 kg total checked baggage?

For tickets not purchased in the USA, it is total 20 kg checked luggage, not per bag. Makes it real hard to go hunting and especially with more than one firearm. US$100 is chicken feed to what I got slugged Australia to South Africa and vice versa.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ
How many bags and what was the weight? I am taking a Windhoek/JoBerg/Bulawayo via SA Airlink in July.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
We had 2 check bags, 2 carry ons, one single gun case and a two gun case. All the tickets were purchased in USA. I don't know what the weights were.We weren't charged by the weight, we were charged a set fee of $100 each in Windhoek and also in Joburg. The total overweight charge would have been $600USD, Windhoek, Joburg, Pretoria, Joburg.
My problem was, the bags were hauled by SAA from Joburg to Windhoek with no overweight, but the other way there was a charge. The PH argued with the counter girl, but he lost.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Here's the beauty of Bulawayo, the makeshift terminal they have there uses an old analog scale that's probably of questionable accuracy. When I was there in June I was way the heck over weight and just kept the gate agent talking while he weighed my bags. He didn't say a word (except he wanted my phone number, in case he ever came to Vegas and wanted to look me up - I don't know whose number I gave him, but I assure you, it wasn't mine!)

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
When I paid my excess baggage costs with a credit card at JFK last March on a flight to JNB, the agent never handed me back my card and insisted he had when I asked him. But I knew he had it and kept pressing him. After fumbling around for awhile he suddenly found it and apologized. An honest mistake? Maybe, but it might have been 3 or 4 weeks before I noticed it was missing and he I think he knew that. Just a warning from a former New Yorker.
S.