New
Find
Notify
Tools

9,3x74r
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Have always wanted an over and under rifle and there seem to be some reasonable priced ones in this cartrdige.

I am curious as to why this cartridge is loaded so lightlty when compared to the 9,3x62.

Does the 9,3x74r qualify for dangerous game in most countries?

Are scoped O/U rifles "regulated"?

[This message has been edited by Mike Dettorre (edited 01-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, why do You want an O/U?? If I want a double - and I want - I would take a S/S for nostalgic reasons only.

The 9.3x74R is on top of my list, I am not sure, but it could be there are more doubles made in that caliber than anything else. I suspect .30-06 to be second.

The rimmed cartridges are always loaded to lower pressures, because of the weaker action, as compared to a bolt ( read 98 ) or good single shot.

Shoot hotter loads in a combo gun and You get difficult opening immediately! I know, I shot factory loads in 7x57R ( Yugo ) which is hot from recoil and point of impact, and hardly got the gun open. I fired one round only ...

However the pressure limit for 9.3x62 is low compared to modern rounds, too, because of the date of its origin. As its the same brass, in a modern gun You can load it ( at Your own risk ) to the same pressure as modern rounds. Then the 9.3x62 beats even the .338 WM, except for trajectory.

In a double which is regulated for standard loads, 286 grs in 9.3x74R presumably, loading hotter will play havoc with regulation. Perhaps in a shotgun over rifle You could load somewhat hotter. You will get case stretch, difficult opening and difficult extraction.

Only for some fps more ...

Good shooting! hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Most ammo makers load the 9,3x74R and 9,3x62 to the same ballistics and one could say that both calibers are ballistic twins (NB. : the same may be said for the 7x64 and 7x65R). Now, and for the reasons explained by Hermann, the bolt-action rifles in 'x62 are more forgiving in terms of pressure levels than the doubles in '74R. I own both and I can tell you from field experience that, notwithstanding the few fps difference, no game animal ever noticed or complained. Whathever the angle, I always have complete penetration from both calibers with lots of blood at the "anschuss" (= where the animal stood when hit). I only experienced one exception : a Wild Boar hit in the seat of the pants and where the bullet was recovered from the head...

------------------
Andr�

[This message has been edited by Andr� Mertens (edited 01-02-2002).]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Andre',
That is, I think, just the exact wording I have been looking for someone to use. Here in the U.S. we tend to read too much into the specific ballistics of a cartridge when what really counts is field performance. Now if someone will just chime in with the same experience with the 74R in Africa, Class I double rifles might get more attractive.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Stand by Sarge, I'm going to take my Merkel 9.3X74R S/S double rifle to Africa, and I'm going to shoot a Buffalo, or two, if I survive the first one, with it. I hope to be back to talk about it's habits when I'm done!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Mac, I'm willing to bet on you. Just take care to match the bullet to your quarry, don't go after buff with a 231 or 258 SP. A 286 TUG from RWS would be great for heart/lung shots and one of the great U.S. made .366 solids (you guys are lucky, hope you realize...) will do if you want to break bone.

------------------
Andr�

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the Norma website you will see that their 74r and 62 rounds are identical in performance. It's just two ways of acheiving the performance. Low bolt action pressure or even lower break open pressure. As 99% of all dangerous game killed with 9.3x62 has been done so by Afrikaans, Europeans and English using factory cordite loads of 286gr at 2250-2350fps (depending on country of origin and era) then I think you can draw your own conclusions on how effective a 9.3x74r will be loaded to these same velocity levels but with the advantage of modern bullets and modern scopes.

I look forward to hearing the buff details!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andre' I was thinking of useing 286 gr Nosler Partitions, for the inetial shot, followed by a Woodliegh 286 gr solid, both at 2350 fps! I haven't shot either of these in my double yet, so I may change my mind after some load work-ups!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
I want to recommend the Woodleigh 286 grain s.n bullet. I use it in my 9,3x62 and it�s a killer...
The mushrooming and retained weight is superb
Sadly it doesnt work to well in my new rifle, it get stuck in the clip.
So i�ve tried the Swift A-frame and its a good bullet to.
This spring Norma will release their ORYX in 286 grains. It�s a bonded soft nose bullet, and is almost the same as the Woodleigh.
Check out www.norma.cc

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Mac, your combination looks good but the rifle will decide if it shoots both bullets together (that's part of the fun of loading for a double...). The Norma Oryx recommended by Monz is of the bonded core design and I've had good success with it in 9,3x62 (232 gn) and .300 Win Mag (200 gn). It really holds together and in 286 gn should be a peach worth a try.

------------------
Andr�

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I hope that Norma begins to export their bullets to the US. As recently as October, none were available from either Midway or Huntitingons. Brass, oh sure, but no bullets.

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, the combo You will be using is exactly what I will use in my 9.3x62. Perhaps there is a 9.3x74R double in the future, have not decided yet Merkel or Heym ...

One additional bullet I want is a cheaper one for roe deer and smaller boars and practice. i would like it to shoot to same point of index, I will try Lapua or Sellier & Bellot.

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote