New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bokkoors! (buck fever!)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bokkoors (buck fever)...after a couple of years hunting, it is still a problem for me. Sure it is a mental thing but I would like to hear how you all deal with it, if you get it.

Strangely, I seem to get it more acutely these days, compared to when I was younger.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good that we still get it. I still do after 16 years as a hunter. And I've been hunting quite much.

As long as one manages to deal with it, I think it's good!

I always try to focus on the tasks when getting the buck fever. Trying to distance myself from the animal. Going through the process of shooting and trying to focus on that instead of the fever. If you know what I mean. Getting a steady position, breathing, increasing the pressure on the trigger etc..
I also use quite a lot of time planning for a steady position. If I'm stand hunting, I'm putting a bag ready for use on the longest shots etc. Using bipod, sticks shen stalking.

From a prone position with rest I can always shoot, even with a decent amount of buck fever.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been PH'ing for 25 years and I still get shaky hands and shortness of breath when the leopard climbs in the tree.

Take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger, watch the bullet hit through the scope.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

I always try to focus on the tasks when getting the buck fever. Trying to distance myself from the animal. Going through the process of shooting and trying to focus on that instead of the fever. If you know what I mean. Getting a steady position, breathing, increasing the pressure on the trigger etc.

+1

I used to suffer from buck fever from time to time. I found that after I began to mentally go through the same process each time I practiced buck fever became less of a problem. When it comes time to shoot at game you will find that your focus is on going through all the steps and buck fever does not have time to set in.

The Perfect Shot by Craig Boddington is a great resource for improving your game shooting.

I still get buck fever from time to time. There is no better feeling in hunting than having buck fever, then beating it and making a great shot.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on your definition of Buck Fever. I've never had it, and I've been hunting for over fifty years. That doesn't mean I don't get pumped-up when I see game or get in close, or when I prepare for the shot. But, I don't jack shells out on the ground, pull on an empty chamber, or try to shoot with the safety on. I take pride in keeping my nerves under control, and being ready. I know I may get only one chance, so I make sure I don't do anything stupid. It's just being prepared.

People that get buck-fever make me nervous. You never know what they might do next. They might get you or themselves hurt.

Posts: 13856 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
But, I don't jack shells out on the ground, pull on an empty chamber, or try to shoot with the safety on. I take pride in keeping my nerves under control, and being ready. I know I may get only one chance, so I make sure I don't do anything stupid. It's just being prepared.

Sheez, okay I have never had it that bad.

Is that what the Ozzies call buck fever?
Over here we call that "looking for a poesklap".

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday during a deer hunt in Texas I tried to shoot a buck with my safety on but I think that was more from concentrating on shot placement and being in a tower blind (which I have never hunted from before)

Buck fever has never been a problem with me but after the shot, then I get the big adrenaline rush and the shakes hit me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say, if you ever loose that feeling you should just hang it up! there's nothing like shivering your ass off after dropping a trophy!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to breath rythmically to help me. Works great and made me a better shot.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I once hunted with a chap who in order to stabilize himself and his breathing, took repeated deep breaths in through his nose and exhaled with force through his teeth. Any animals within 300 meters instantly looked out for an angry black rhino. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
When I stop getting excited in the presence of an animal I'm about to shoot then I'll sell my guns and take up beekeeping!

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted almost my whole 49 years. Still get a touch of buck fever. I found something by accident that helped me when I used to bow hunt. When I started using a life size target, I didn't get the shakes or deep breathing like I did before. Too bad that most gun ranges won't let you post these targets!

When I do get buck fever, and I have time to view the animal prior to shooting, I time my breaths. 5 seconds in, 5 seconds hold, 5 seconds out. I repeat this process until I pull the trigger.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no Ozzie; born and raised hunting mule deer in New Mexico. I moved to Texas and started hunting everything that ran or flew after college. Now that I work overseas I take a big hunt every other year somewhere in the world.

I'll take back my comment about never having had buck fever. I think it manifests itself with me sometimes when I first spot game. I think I see something I don't for an instant, and sometimes longer.

Many years ago I spotted a herd of elk moving up a mountainside in southeastern Colorado one morning. They must have been 1000 yards away. I couldn't see any distinctive rack, as I went from animal to animal with the binoculars. I couldn't see any bull, period. As I kept looking for the bull, one of the "cows" flew. Suddenly, everything clicked. They were turkey and they were about 500+ yards away. I think I was wanting to find elk so bad, that I conjured them up.

Posts: 13856 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you don't get it, consider hanging up your rifle. beer

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thought I had it licked until I went on safari this past June in Namibia. Very first thing, saw this tremendous kudo, got in a hurry, and missed. Calmed down later and got a nice kudu, but nothing like that first one on the first morning of my first safari (oh, why do I say first,,,gotta go back)!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must keep your mind right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice all.

I am glad to hear that I am not alone in this and yes I agree that if you don't get the rush from hunting then it is time to quit.