Notify
Tools

.470 Capstick
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted
Forum Members,

I was wondering if any of you have had the chance to fire a rifle in .470 Capstick. This is a M70 custom shop rifle and it will weigh in at 10.5-11lbs. I was just wondering if I should take out dental insurance before I fire this thing! [Eek!]

Thanks,

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470FAN
posted Hide Post
BOWHUNR
I have one but have yet to shoot it. I have two boxes of ammo from CHAA. It's ready to go but, not sure I am [Eek!] If you need brass with the proper headstamp go to www.huntingtons.com they have it.

Jim Miller

Posts: 155 | Location: Susanville, CA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr,

I have a .470 Capstick built on an M70. Recoil is stout, about 74ft.-lbs. in my 10.75lb. rifle (in photo below).

It takes getting used to.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 470 capstick built on a model 98. It is heavy and recoil is not bad. I think Winchester is making their rifles too light. Add a mercury recoil reducer to both the fore end and the butt, and put on a quality recoil pad, and the gun will be comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
George,

Do you have any mercury reducers on your rifle? I know better than to ask if you have a muzzle break! [Big Grin] I refuse to have them myself. What loads are you shooting, or have you shot?

Thanks,

Mike

I also was wondering what scope and bases you selected for your rifle?

[ 08-01-2003, 07:26: Message edited by: BOWHUNR ]

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I hate to sound stupid, but how do you add a reducer to the fore end of the rifle?

BOWHUNR

[ 08-01-2003, 07:23: Message edited by: BOWHUNR ]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR:
George,

Do you have any mercury reducers on your rifle? I know better than to ask if you have a muzzle break! [Big Grin] I refuse to have them myself. What loads are you shooting, or have you shot?

Thanks,

Mike

I also was wondering what scope and bases you selected for your rifle?

Mike,

My rifle has two DeadMule recoil reducers in the buttstock, and a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. The rifle has a KDF muzzle brake, as well; my intention was to remove it for hunting, but when I did, my POI dropped 8" at 50yds.! With no time to figure it out, I just left it on.

I use Kimber/Brownell QD rings and bases, with a Burris 2.5x scope. They are easy to take off in a rush, but a little tricky to put back on unless you take your time.

I use H4895 and IMR4064 to get 2380fps in my 24" PAc-Nor barrel. My 'plunking' loads use IMR3031 with Speer's 400gr. GoldDots (I haven't chrono'ed them, but they have the same POI at 25yds. as my hunting loads.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Take a look at www.470mbogo.com.

that's LOTS more than the capstick...

10# and 75ft/# shuold be more than tolerable.

jeffe

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bowhunter,
You just may become an avid fan of the muzzle brake, I came to the conclusion that they actually were not all that ugly on my 505..they work for one thing and beat hell out of packing and extra 3 or 4 pounds of weight in my stock..besides I get a lot of room when I get ready to shoot...I like that.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good muzzle break can come in handy to remove unwanted "neighbors" from the next bench at the range as well. [Wink]
Especially if they aren't wearing ear protection.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I will think hard about the muzzle break and recoil reducers. It sounds like I will need one, if not both, for this rifle to be a "shooter". Ray, have you ever used Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels for customizing work? I've heard some good things about them, and I have a good friend that lives pretty close. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR:
500grains,

I hate to sound stupid, but how do you add a reducer to the fore end of the rifle?

BOWHUNR

Brownell's sells a thin mercury tube (8 oz I think) that can be inletted/bedded into the forend on the barrel channel side of the stock ahead of the recoil lug on the barrel.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
BOWHUNR,

I have had 2 rifles built by Hill Country Rifles and am quite pleased with both. The latest one is the .375 H&H in my signature pic. I suggest you give Matt a call....they are good people.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

Thank's. I'll give Matt a call on Monday. I'm thinking that I will have them install a mercury reducer or two, and a muzzle break (god, I can't believe I just said that). I'm also going to enquire about their accurizing package.

Thanks Again,

Mike