New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari boots and clothing
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Every year I get literally dozens in my soles.

Non gets through though.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68651 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed - normal walking or hiking shoes have worked best for myself and my sons - and this is based on a number of elephant hunts in Zim and Botswana. I wish I had the money back that I've wasted on "expensive" safari boots (Courteney, Russel, custom made). The PHs have worn either Merrels, Crocs or some off-brand of sandals. I have Barney Rubble feet, so I wear Keens (wide, tall toe box). My boys have worn Merrels. All in ankle height, with leather gaiters to keep debris out of the shoe and protect the laces.

As others have said, don't under-estimate how cold the nights can get in our summer (their winter). It can be taken off if its too hot, but it can't be put on if its not there ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask the outfitter whether camo is okay in the area, just so you don't end up buying something new for no reason. When I worked as an apprentice PH in Zambia's Kafue, where the June mornings can be very cold, my most prized garment was a Sitka Stratus jacket with a Windstopper membrane in it. The jacket was light and easy to put away, and it made cold mornings on the back of a moving Land Cruiser far more pleasant. Wind can make a sweater or a fleece pretty useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a need for camo and I agree that a sweater can be less effective on the back of a car.
I still prefer them, but also use an old field jacket and that cuts the wind.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look at Lowa Innox boots. Light weight, excellent support, with gortex or without, US sizes up to 15. The "task force" versions have the more traditional colors.
BTW, you should be putting miles on them now. The last thing you want to do is break them in on a track.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddles10:
You might look at Lowa Innox boots. Light weight, excellent support, with gortex or without, US sizes up to 15. The "task force" versions have the more traditional colors.
BTW, you should be putting miles on them now. The last thing you want to do is break them in on a track.

Break in goes for every foot wear.

I buy two of whatever I am going to use on safari.

I use one here and when traveling all over the place.

I take them on safari, never take them off all day - even when going through water.

At the end of the hunt I give them to one of the trackers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68651 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the responses. I think we have enough of the Carhartt clothing and shirts. I have a uninsulated pair of Kenetrek hikers that I believe I will wear. My son doesn't really have anything yet. Is there a place you can buy Russell boots that are already made?

Thanks again,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two points. I don't think you can buy ready-made Russells. But I could be corrected.

Two, I tried hunting in a heavy Carharrt shirt last year. Thought it would repel tsetses. It did but was so hot it wasn't worth it. Only wore it one day.

Love the Carharrt jeans though. They even give me my Copenhagen pocket.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You may be able to find ready-made Russell boots, but likely because they didn’t fit the original buyer. So, take it for what that’s worth. I haven’t had any of their boots, but my father has had their Bird Shooter and some others. Unfortunately, they don’t fit me like some of his cowboy boots he no longer wears.

There was a thread years back with some people disappointed with fit and longevity of Russell, but it may have been because clients doing their own tracing/measurements and also a bad lot of sole material. I haven’t heard anything bad in a long time.

I don’t recall catching his age, but teens have odd growing periods. As others have said, standard, off the rack boots may be the best option and use insoles to adjust.

Carhart seems like a good option, but I may have only used them or Wall’s (I think they’re long gone), for cold weather gear. I did buy some Wrangler earth tone pants/jeans as part of me moving from Anti gun Levi’s. They have a little stretch to them, unlike the traditional 13MWZ and bought them for around $30 a pair. I have not hunted them yet, but the stretch seems nice if any moderate climbing might be needed. I wore some Mountain Khakis and had a hard time with flexibility in some rough terrain. I was in much better shape then.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had Russell boots since 1986. Unfortunately, I think their quality, workmanship and consistency in recent years is not worth todays price. Many recent reports of soles coming unglued and sizing issues.

I would recommend a good pair of leather and cordura mid high hiking boots. Merrill, Salomon,Danner,etc. The military style desert boot is an excellent choice. I use Converse Foot Pursuits in this type. They are like putting on comfortable tennis shoes with good support, traction etc. Unfortunately they are no longer made but I bought a couple of pairs so I'm set. Check out that style of boot. Light, comfortable and durable.

Also, check out diamond cut jeans. They have a gusset in the crotch area that gives you great mobility and little binding when walking or climbing as compared to regular jeans. Just get a dark color as the khaki ones look almost white when you view them outside. Dark brown or olive are much better.

I really like the Boyt safari shirts. All cotton, not too heavy or too light, easily laundered and last a long time. Khaki and Olive colors. Excellent shirt.

Get good wool socks like Smartwool. Lots of different weights available.

Good luck.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courtney boots have no arch support, Tennis type walking shoes are best in Tanzania and such, in the mountains a light boot suits me best..Basically dress like a Texas rancher on the Mexican border..Yeehaw! gators are recommended a pair of soft gloves, denim pants and light weight tan shirts, the dark green stuff often recommeded draws the tetsi fly for all you folks to take note of..
bug spray, a battry powered fan for the tent at night. You will be sweating while the camp staff and PHs are wearing parkas.. I like 3 shirts, 3 pants, 6 sox, 3 t-shirts brown, the pair Im wearing and two extra.two shoes or whatever, a down vest and med wt jacket..lots of bug spray and spray for seed ticks in some cases.

Bottom line is your PH should supply you with a list of exactly what you need, not us...Id rather have a bit too much than not enough..Also depending on the time you intend to stay, all my trips were 30 to 45 days and sometimes longer at 60 days in several countries so I took a set of traveling clothes also...Just use common since and skip all the Hollywood dress...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is easy:

3 Columbia PFG shirts in sage
2pairs Tag shorts
2 pairs long trousers in lightweight cotton (Tag)
Wool socks and Coolmax liner socks
Walking shoes or trainers with gaiters
Hat
Coat and gloves for early morning and evening

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I just returned from my first trip to RSA. It was just a plains game trip, so nothing too extreme, although we did a lot of walking in varied terrain (38 miles +/- in 10 days as per my iPhone step counter). When I booked the trip 6 months ago, the first thing I did was buy a pair of boots. I researched a lot of different brands, and decided on these Danner 7" Recurve boots. They are somewhat of a hybrid between a traditional leather boot and modern hiking boot. I am extremely pleased with them, especially for the price ($220). They were super comfortable from the beginning with virtually no break-in period required (although I did wear them a lot before my trip). They have also been completely 100% water-proof so far, which is more than I can say of other lace-up boots I've bought in the past.

Here is a link: https://www.danner.com/recurve...rown-danner-dry.html

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote