Find
Notify
Tools

PH's to have lunch with...!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had this idea from my last post...

If you were asked to name the living PH's/Hunters (or African 'Bush men') you would most like to have meal/conversation/hunt with, who would it be.
Mine would be:

Nassos Roussos
John Sharp
Geoff Broom
Peter Flack
Richard Harland
Mike laGrange
Harry Selby
Tony Henley
Brian Marsh
Coenraad Vermaak

I coukld go on..but will limit to 10 for now.

Cheers

PS oh shit, and Shakari, as he seems like good chap to take piss and have a laugh...when I am home and up in Hazyview....

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
kayaker,

Very clever of you to limit the list to 10. That way each gut who posts a name pisses off only 9 others for not choosing them. If you left it open, or made a longer list more PH's would be unhappy for not being chosen as "the PH" to chat with.

My vote goes to Harry Selby, with all 9 others tied for a very close 2nd! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question it would be John Sharp
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flack would be my choice. I have enjoyed his videos and books.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry selby would be great to have lunch with

Bror Blixen must wait til later on..I don`t have the "time" right now Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flack would be my choice.

Yes, Flack is another one of those whose writing etc is almost an academic treatise on the geography/culture/ecology where he hunts. His writing is more than just 'my mega-bore smashed the crap out of everything...'. I also thouroughly enjoy his writing, have since the late 80's when I first read his work!

Andrew, I limited mine to 10 or the list would be long, but I have many others! No intention to piss any people off. I would like to start a book that would involve interviewing PH's (thesis/travel plans and other stuff in the way right now). One day....

People like Ron Thompson, Ganyana, Don Heath and a host of others all over Africa would be included if I could. If had the opportunity to pick your brains for a while, I would appreciate that too, for sure! beer

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In addition to Sharpie (of course Smiler I'd have to add Tony Sanchez-Arino,Robin Hurt, that young chap, McNeill ( lucky bast.. got to hunt with Cindy Garrison), hell too many to mention! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
So, why don't we EXPAND the list to include the top 25?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm getting worried about you lot.....everyone you mention, including me..... actually, especially me, are all damn ugly...... personally, I'd put Natascha Illum Berg in Tanzania right at the top of my list......

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Is that why American and European women all fall in love with the PH?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Natascha Illum Berg in Tanzania right at the top of my list......

That's dinner or a weekend away Steve, not lunch! thumb

But, She too, would be great to chat with...as UEG said, the list for most would be very long!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff Broom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruce Truter. The man is a wealth of wisdom and humor.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen. Lunch is so uncivilised. Lunches are for work...a distastful concept for those who can appreciate the finer aspects of life- like hunting and fishing - Atticus- Bruce would never DO lunch!

I know, Brian Marsh and a couple of the others mentioned are like me - cold and a little stiff unless there is a good mopane log fire burning infront of you, something on the braai and at the very least a good cup off coffee in the hand (or tea if you are talking to Sten Cedegren or Ian Nychens)...but if you actually want the stories and the wisdom, Brian needs two B&C's, Bruce a glass or two of red Vino, etc. Ambience is essential.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Steve you have beaten me, but she would also be my choice. Ganyana you have it perfectly right, best lunches are served in the bush around a campfire. I personally do not like restaurants, it is to impersonal

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After hearing of Wayne Williamson's recent mauling, I'd shout him lunch because a) he's great guy and b) it would be worth a decent lunch just to hear the details of his fight with chui.

Posts: 164 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I`m not sure but the lady portraied in Nickkudus "bengt Berg "file is named Inger Illum, are she and Natasha is probably related.

My choice besides Natasha would have to be Selby.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If you want to hear a real story, then Brian Marsh,for the old stories, and Wayne Williamson for the most recent happening! thumb

However, if you want something to look at, even without the stories I reccomend Natascha!
boohoo clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly think Jim Corbett would qualify, as well as Selous and Sutherland. Maybe I'm getting away from the present to the past.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the pleasure of several lunches and dinners with Lou Hallamore this past March. Next on my list would be Ian Nyschens, with out a doubt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Don't have lunch with Don Heath. His table manners will cause the neighboring diners to stare, he developes paralysis when the check arrives, will snatch and pocket the tip you leave, drain everyone's glass and grab all the mints before he departs. Big Grin

Harry Selby
Brian Marsh
John Northcott
Ian MacFarland
Barry Duckworth
Bill Bedford
Paddy Curtis
Peter Chipman
Richard Harlan
Ron Thompson

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I'm getting worried about you lot.....everyone you mention, including me..... actually, especially me, are all damn ugly...... personally, I'd put Natascha Illum Berg in Tanzania right at the top of my list......

jumping

Uh, Shakari, you go ahead and have lunch with her.

Personally, I'd rather have dinner...and breakfast! Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'd add Luke Samaras to the top of that list.

Although I've gotten to hunt in Russ Broom's camps several times, the real honor was getting to guide Russ on a pig hunt here in CA. The shoe was on the other foot for a couple days Wink.

I've met Geoff Broom at the shows several times (like everyone else) but a couple years ago when I had a chance to guide him on a pig hunt he got side tracked working on his book with Boddington and we never got out hunting. That would have been the experience of a lifetime.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
You are probably correct. That said, I had the honor of hunting with Bruce in '04 at Noel Ross' place in the Eastern Cape. We lunched in the bush and in the evening I enjoyed his stories and his insights on Africa, hunting, et al, at diner and over drinks. I hope I get to hunt with him, and Noel Ross, again.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
Don't have lunch with Don Heath. His table manners will cause the neighboring diners to stare, he developes paralysis when the check arrives, will snatch and pocket the tip you leave, drain everyone's glass and grab all the mints before he departs. Big Grin

Perry

You know, you host a couple of good old red necks passing through Harare for lunch, they are on a tight budget, want you to keep lunch to around a quarter a piece so you aren’t taking food out of their children’s mouths etc...10 cents for a coke, 15 cents for a colcom Pork Pie and voila, Lunch!- and this is the kind of thanks you get for that. Wink

In addition, I am grievously hurt because reading your account of the hunt, (and having good inside information), I know full well that Ganyana never stooped to offering you lunch (or breakfast for that matter) on the hunt.

Besides, I have seen those colcom pork pies on sale since I was at school. I think you and Brian were the first people I have ever seen actually eat one...Bit like drinking chibuku...or 500 grains feeding me some odd things in a Sushi bar. When all the Japanese waiters stop to watch you try something, you know you are definitely a tourist and nobody in the know (and certainly no local) would ever eat that S**t!

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am horrible with names, but had the great pleasure of having dinner 3 years ago with 2 gunsmiths and at least 3 african PH's in Reno. It was fabulously good time, the stories were great, I am a real chatterbox, don't know why but love to talk, and this was one of the few times I just sat there quietly and listened to it all.

Wish I knew all the names of the guys. One was Campbell Smith, I remember that. (I have not seen anybody post here that they have hunted with him).

Gonna hvae to talk the wife into sending me this year.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote