New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attacked By An Elephant
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very lucky!!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
She is lucky for sure.

There are actually quite a few of these incidents in these type camps.

I have mixed feelings about the suit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tented tourist safari camp should by no means be taken for granted as being a safe haven if you wish to keep in mind that you are actually sharing/encroaching an area set aside for wildlife.

She was lucky with the outcome of only a broken pelvis as an enraged elephant usually gets the job done.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
At Chete, in Zimbabwe, it was so hot at night I sometimes couldn’t sleep.

Looking through the windows, I could see elephants feeding a few yards away from my room.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
She is lucky for sure.

There are actually quite a few of these incidents in these type camps.

I have mixed feelings about the suit.

I also have reservations about the suit. But, the company is marketing their trips to what they know are ignorant tree huggers so they should have some responsibility for protecting their intellectually challenged customers.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We have stayed in such camps, including last year in the middle of the Okavango Delta.

Elephants used to walk through at night, browsing on tree branches within a few yards of us.

No one goes armed, except with flashlights and loud voices.

I can see how the staff would get complacent around these animals, and forget how truly dangerous they are. That can sometimes have fatal consequences.

This woman is very lucky, given the circumstances.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think she would have sued them for intentional infliction of emotional distress if they shot the elephant!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Her lawyer (barrister) made a comment on the fact that she and camp staff were unarmed…

Well, imagine that…

She made a choice. She could have paid the £125k and hunted elephant… and had a rifle to defend herself.

I rather strongly suspect that she signed some sort of waiver about animal dangers…

Staff were getting beer and drinks… yet she and her sister were the only clients in camp…

So did she put in an order for drinks then do a potty run while they were getting them?

To my mind, getting her out of pocket medical expenses paid is about all she’s due, and given she’s from a socialized medicine country, that’s not liable to be much.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
Do you think she would have sued them for intentional infliction of emotional distress if they shot the elephant!

That’s what I was thinking. Can you imagine if they’d have shot the bull in the middle of camp. Talk about emotional damage to some snowflakes!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephants will be elephants. I don't see how the outfitter could be liable, unless they represented that their camps were totally safe, which would be silly, but I could see someone marketing to the greenies could do that. The most uncomfortable I've ever been has been in the National Parks when I didn't, and couldn't, have a rifle in my hands.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Some people don’t belong in the wild.

I’m guessing she will get 50k-75k in mediation and pay her attorney £50k. Netting a whopping zero to £25k!

Ironically, I also value liberal professors lives at about the same value.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Some people don’t belong in the wild.

I’m guessing she will get 50k-75k in mediation and pay her attorney £50k. Netting a whopping zero to £25k!

Ironically, I also value liberal professors lives at about the same value.

We were at a private game park in South Africa.

We had our own guide - who we had asked for before hand, as we knew he is knowledgeable - and truck.

We left every morning before anyone else, and were the last to come back.

We had an absolutely great time.

There was a Russian couple in camp.

Never left it.

The wife spent all her time in the pool, and the husband on his computer at the bar.

Found lions mating, and several cars appeared as they got called by radio.

Us, my wife, and my daughter and me, where the only ones using cameras.

Everyone else was either taking pictures with their phones, or - I am not kidding, were asleep!

Why bother going to Africa then?

We heard on the radio that no one was allowed into a specific area of the park.

We asked why.

They told us there was a wounded lion, and they were going to tranquilize him to check him out.

We asked if we could come along, and they agreed.

We picked the vet, and she came in our truck, and shot the lion.

He ran about 200 yards and laid down to sleep.

We all get close as the vet examined his wound, which was not serious at all.

Funny feeling touching a lion with eyes open and breathing lying there.

My daughter absolutely loved that trip.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’m sure an upscale Safari company would have a boiler plate liability release form you had to sign. Legally, I would bet she is on shaky ground. I know we had to sign one in the Okavango Delta and again in Chobe National Park.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote