Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Zebra/horse
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted
Please replace the original image - which was far too large - with one of about 780x600

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
a zorse

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
In one of the later issues of the African Sporting gazette, there is an article about a half horse/half zebra looking subspecies called a Quagga. I guess it is now extinct, but they are trying to recreate it through captive breeding programs and reintroduce it to the wild.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a Boerped Stallion named "Zulu" who escaped from the Limpopo Valley Horse Safaris in the Tuli area of Botswana. It ran with the Zebras for three years before being recaptured. I was there on a ride when we ran into it. It was the lead stallion of a Zebra herd. We attempted to chase and capture it, but we were unsuccessful after the most exciting riding I have ever done. It had bred with some Zebras and we did see a very dark zorse foal. I don't know if any of them survived. About three months later Zulu was recaptured and turned into a lead horse at the operation, but died from Colic two years later. I saw it stand its ground from a full on elephant cow charge. The guides there use cracking bullwhips to fool the elephant into thinking they are being shot at. It is very effective and I have seen it work on three different occassions.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corecpa:
I saw it stand its ground from a full on elephant cow charge. The guides there use cracking bullwhips to fool the elephant into thinking they are being shot at. It is very effective and I have seen it work on three different occassions.

I would like to see that...any video?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Hallo !heres the pictures a littel smaller Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We saw a zebra/horse colt on the farm where we hunted in Namibia. They told us the mare was penned up and when the workers walked into her pen she would try to kick them so they turned her out. Shortly after that they saw her mating with a zebra so they penned her back up and this is the result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,

No, but that sounds like a good challenge. I am going back there in May and just maybe I will take a small video camera with me. Getting good video from the back of an excited horse receiving an elephant charge could be a little tricky.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quagga was not a horse-zebra hybrid, but rather a zebra that simply had a different coloration. It was believed to be a subspecies of the Burchell's ("plains") I believe, and it is plains zebra stock that are being selectively bred to attempt to recreate the coloration pattern of the quagga.

Incidentally, the mountain zebra and the Grevy's are so genetically different from the plains zebra that they will not interbreed (at least not producing a fertile offspring). The various zebra species are unique examples of parallel evolution, the common thread being the counter-intuitive advantage of their stripped coats. One must conclude that the quagga lost most of its stripes due to a lack of predation of the type that the other species had to deal with. So, was there a dearth of large cats in the quagga habitat?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote