THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Real Paralax POI Error on Scoped DG Rifles: Answer Surprised me.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Paralax POI Error on Scoped DG Rifles: Answer Surprised me.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a technical discussion with a Leupold service expert, I asked about having the paralax on my DG rifle scope changed from standard 100 Yards to 25 yards.
Expert said they could do it at 25 yards, but 50 was what they preferred.
I asked what the paralax error might be if set for 50 yards and the rifle was fired at a 25 yard target and scope is set at 1.5 X.
Expert surprised me when he did a set of calculations (from charts he keeps) and quoted me the following.
He said "a minor error of eye placement could easily result in aproximately a 1/2 inch shot placement error and a major offset of the shooter's eye could result in an error of as much as 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards"!!
Did everyone else already know this, or did I just stumble into learning these exact error measurements that I should have known about?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My only comment is that if one knows the A&P of any DG, even the cats, then a 1.5" error is nothing to be concerned about.

I've used the standard Leupold 1.5-5x w/illuminated circle-dot reticle on almost all of my DG, including Lion, Leopard and Croc, as well as all the rest, without incident and except for Eles, some of my Buff and one of my Hippo, all were one shot kills. All were taken between 25-60 yards, with the average closer to 25 yards. Honestly, knowing where the vitals are and how to reach them is the key to successful DG hunting and a 1.5" parallax error is not critical and needn't be worried about.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Knew it and have been the victim of it shooting at a hippo from an awkward position at 40ish yards with a 100 yard parallax adjusted scope.

Trust me, 1.5 to 2" can make a difference on a hippo brain shot.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Wiil-

Take your rifle and scope set-up to the range and shoot at paper @ 40ish yards from a steady rest. I think you'll be surprised and I'd bet the "awkward position" had more to do with your poor shot on that Hippo than any parallax effect. Big Grin

Also, in my experience, the "brain" shot on Croc may be the most difficult shot in Africa to make; much more so than Hippo (and much more likely to loose the Croc). Ask me how I know. sofa

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Wiil-

Take your rifle and scope set-up to the range and shoot at paper @ 40ish yards from a steady rest. I think you'll be surprised and I'd bet the "awkward position" had more to do with your poor shot on that Hippo than any parallax effect. Big Grin

+1 +1 +1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too use the Leupold 1.5 x 5x scopes on all three of my Africa rifles. Good stock fit is the key to minimizing any parallax problems. That and practice. Ya gotta shoot them things.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Wiil-

+1 +1 +1

Yes and no.

An awkward position = bad cheek weld = potential movement of POI at any distance other than the distance at which the scope is parallax adjusted.

There is no parallax, at any distance, as long as the eye is lined up exactly with the optical axis of the scope. But, if you start moving your head and take your eye out of the proper optical axis, you'll start spraying bullets.

Similarly, you get into an akward position and don't get your eye in exact line with the optical axis of the scope, you can experience parallax error if you are shooting at any distance other than that at which the scope is parallax adjusted, which is typically 100 yards.

Have I reproduced this at a bench with a proper rest . . . yes. I changed from ear plugs to muffs which caused me to not be able to put my cheek as firmly into the stock as I could with the plugs. At 50 yards my group moved two inches. Also had it happen when using a lead sled that prevented me from getting into a proper shooting position, again shooting at 50 yard targets.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too use the Leupold 1.5 x 5x scopes on all three of my Africa rifles. Good stock fit is the key to minimizing any parallax problems. That and practice. Ya gotta shoot them things.

That says it ALL!!! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that someone read the chart backwards or misunderstood the question. A potential parallax error of that amount is about right for 250 yards, not 25 yards. I'd suggest you check with the tech a second timne.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote