THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Was Capstick really a game control officer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was Capstick really a game control officer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently finished reading Capsticks book about Safari the last Adventure and in the book he says he went to Zambia for a possible 3 year game control gig but then became a PH instead of signing on for 3 years as a game control officer.

He then states in other books and videos that he killed 700 and 800 elephants and over 1,000 buffalo mostly in game control.

Does anyone know if he was ever really a game control officer? There must be records of such things no?

Also I read that he knew nothing about Africa until becoming a PH with Geoff Broom in 1974 and wrote Death in the Long Grass a couple years later. I can't remember if PHC states if he was a GCO in Death in the Long Grass though.

Thanks

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
horse

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's best to enjoy PHC's writings without asking a lot of questions.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
It's best to enjoy PHC's writings without asking a lot of questions.

That sums it up pretty well. Big Grin

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The truth would be enlightening, as it usually is...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well said, Alf!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on , Alf.

I think part of the issue is the almost goddess-like treatment Fiona Capstick gets that makes PHC somewhat off limits.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps its out of "respect" for Fiona, who btw is a gracious lady and deserving of such..

Peter Capstick, gave the world Africa as it had not been seen in years, he almost single handedly saved the Safari business and made it possible for many safari companies to survive..He brought Africa back to the USA..

I would think that alone should give him his due respect..

I knew him fairly well from SCI, and he was an interesting gentleman, and by the internet his fame became questionable..

Bottom line is what difference does it make, I would think most would have more to worry about than disecting another human being that has passed on to greener pastures.

I, for one, thank PHC for his great books on Africa, I enjoyed everyone of them and he could spin a tale that makes the hair rise on the back of your neck...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
AKA "Client 8"

AHA! so it was you who took the blonde eh??? Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24, not sure you are really asking a question here Confused

Ray, well said, thank you. thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I read Capstick the more I want to know about the man. The more I ask about the man the more I'm told "don't ask about the man".

I know he is the Wizard of Oz but now I'd like to know if at least a little bit of what he said was really true.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
GeoffM24, not sure you are really asking a question here

Ray, well said, thank you.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"

Jim
Which part of:
quote:
Does anyone know if he was ever really a game control officer?

was unclear??????????????

I have often wondered about this about PHC myself. It seems he was fairly specific about where he worked(the Luangua valley?). I would think that someone could find out who the senior wildlife officer of the area was at the time of PHC's employment and get this information.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
I saw him on video once which he made somewhere in Africa and I think it must have been the biggest mistake of his working life.

It was hilarious. He nearly jumps out of his skin when a Hippo trots by (a considerable distance away) and jumps onto the truck as the PH looks on in genuine bemusement at his reaction to a seemingly benign situation.

I was shown it by a previous big fan of his and ths guy said it had shattered all his dreams about Capstick and he felt cheated.

I was told that he trawled the bars talking to the PH's and then put things he had heard into his books but had not actually done any of it himself. Watching him in this video you can believe it too. He looked like you could blow him over with one breath.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
, for one, thank PHC for his great books on Africa, I enjoyed everyone of them and he could spin a tale that makes the hair rise on the back of your neck...

Well said, me too!

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Books are either fiction or non-fiction. PHC told his stories and sold his books under the banner of non-fiction and therein lies the problem. If he's held to the high standard demanded of non-fiction writers he falls woefully short.

PHC could certainly turn a phrase and tell a story, but he used his books as a tool to inflate his own credibility as much as to educate or entertain the reader. For this reason, it's tough to cut him much slack on his lack of truthfulness.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hell, Forrest, as one of my cousins used to say, by them standards, wouldn't nobody never tell no huntin' stories nor no fishin' stories neither, not no way, not no how, not no more! Wink

Maybe I've just rubbed up against a lot of the wrong kind of human nature, but these days I don't believe anything I read and less than half of what I actually see.

Hell, these days, as another of my cousins used to say, when I hear the words - "To be honest . . ." - I hide my wallet faster'n a pack a dogs jumps a three-legged cat. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I view PHC as a work of fiction -- the personna, the book, etc. The author was talented, and probably a bit confused about who he really was. Hemingway probably had similar issues... So did John Wayne.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has opinions about PHC, just like my opinion about CJ McElroy, met him, disliked him - biggest a-hole who ever walked not a big game hunting god like people would think , but the fact remains: Capsticks books are a great read, true or not and when I pick up a book I want to be entertained and not want to put the book down. I believe that his stories brought Africa right into our homes like no one before. Again, just my opinion

Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon2 can you tell us the name of the video and where we can get it? Thanks

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunbug:
Jon2 can you tell us the name of the video and where we can get it? Thanks

It is one of the Sportsman on Film DVDs in the Capstick series. I think it is the "Botswana Safari" video.

Jon gives a very could summary of the incident. The hippo was roughly 100 yards away and Capstick runs and jumps into the truck scared out of his mind. Gordon doesn't even seem to raise an eyebrow. I had to rewind it and watch it a couple times to believe it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing we can say for sure about Capstick is that he enjoyed strong beverages.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read PHC's stuff as second hand, liberally told tales. He never lets the truth get in the way of a good story, and he tells damned good stories.

But on the other hand, Geoff Broom speaks highly of him in hos own book, but does not go into much detail of PHC's career.

So take it as what it is, great fun to read and some advice to consider, but not to bank on.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Because of PHC's books I went on a safari to Tanzania. My wife and three sons came as well. It was my sons' introduction to hunting. All of us agree it was among the most memorable times of our lives. It was a perfect two weeks of the family enjoying each other, perhaps the last time before my sons go to college and their schedules preclude a family vacation.

I never met Mr. Capstick, but I am forever in his debt.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
question: how many wannabe bwannas can dance on the grave of a dead man? answer: apparently a lot!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't care what PHC was! If I ever meet him, I will strangle him with bare hands - he is bigger than me, so I will make sure he has a whole bottle of whisky in him first!

He is the one who got me interested into hunting in Africa after reading his book DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS!

Since then, I have heard all sorts of how he really was. Which never changed my opinion of him as one of the GREATEST writers on Africa in modern times.

I think he is head and shoulders above Ruark.

Who has provided me with hours of enjoyment reading his book, and by extension the many days I have spent in Africa, and of course all the memories that come with doing that.

He would be on top my list of people to share a hunting camp with.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68594 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that anybody cares, but until I see clear evidence to the contrary I'll assume every word he wrote was gospel truth, and being a cropping officer, even temporarily, would be a strange thing to lie about.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10292 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is a great writer, like Saeed, he inspired me to want to hunt Africa since I was a young boy. It was a good thing he did, since hunting has been one of the motivators that has made me work hard and apply myself so that I can afford to hunt. He certainly made Africa sound like the greatest place to hunt in the world, and it is.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just keep the BS detector set on high, no matter what you read. Especially as it concerns subjects with a bit of hair on them, like African hunting, for example.

That way, if you decide to wade in, and buy in and pay for some cheap fun, even at the cost of more than a little common sense, at least you'll know why that stuff seeping up over the tops of your boots smells so bad. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed with Saeed. I never thought much of hunting ANYWHERE outside the US until I read Capstick over 20 years ago. I love the fact that you can find his books in most public libraries.

Since then I have gotten more sophisticated in my reading...Ruark and Hemingway for example and neither one of them can spin a yarn like Capstick. I should have just stuck with Peter and a few writers like Richard Harland and Ian Nyschens.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eulogy

As I Remember Capstick
By Tink Nathan

Peter Hathaway Capstick died in Pretoria, South Africa just before midnight on March 13th 1996 from a thrombosis following cardiac triple by-pass surgery. At his request, only his wife Fiona and her sister attended a private cremation ceremony. Fiona scattered Peter’s ashes over the Chobe River in Botswana with elephants and a herd of Cape buffalo in attendance. Peter will now remain a part of the land he loved so much.

Peter was 56.

I first hunted with Peter in the mid 1960’s when he was a student at the University of Virginia. We hunted groundhogs in the springtime between Remington and Scottsville Virginia. I was privileged to meet Peter again, in about 1976 or 1977 when he came up to me at a sporting goods show in Houston, Texas, and introduced himself to me. I had heard of Peter Capstick, and learned his last name for the first time. I had always called him Chapstick, and he never corrected me. He told me he was one of my readers, as I was a contributing editor of Bowhunter Magazine at the time, and he told me he enjoyed bowhunting. We managed to spend some time together and managed to down a few Pearl beers over some enchiladas.

Peter told me of his amazing life, and we kept in touch. It turns out Peter and I had hunted groundhogs in Virginia ten years before. I saw Peter at some outdoor shows and SCI conventions over the years and started communicating with him when I made plans to move to South Africa.

Peter always had time for my calls, and his sage advice was welcome and dead right on target. I guess the best advice he gave me was not to come over to Africa, which I ignored, and came over anyway. Not too many people knew that Peter did some bowhunting in New Jersey, and I think he told me he once nailed a whitetail, sometime in the 1960’s.

Peter attended the University of Virginia, at Charlottesville, and it seems our paths crossed once or twice at Clarks Gun Shop in Remington, Virginia where we rifle hunted groundhogs, and where we first met on a Saturday on a spring day in the mid 1960’s. Peter was buying ammo and looking for a place to hunt groundhogs. I invited Peter and his University buddy to join me for a woodchuck hunt, and went to a farm that we hunted. We sort of lost touch when he graduated, I was getting ready for my first African safari and he was quite envious of my trek to Mozambique. He remembered me clearly, but I could not place him. Peter first came over to Africa in 1968 but spent quite a bit more time here in Africa than I did. Peter also hunted South America and always preferred the jungle and bush to the city and pavement.

After arriving in South Africa, I called Peter. I was a bit nervous about attending the first AGM / annual convention of the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), and asked Peter if I could sit with him. He told me I was always welcome at his table. Being the only two Americans in PHASA who lived here, he showed me the ropes, and apparently enjoyed being my silent mentor. He introduced me to his many friends, and showed me the correct path during the following years.

Early in our homesteading days in Africa, my miniature smooth haired dachshund Meg became ill and was at deaths door from dehydration, tick bite fever and a pinched nerve in her spine. She had become infested with ticks while guarding my wife and her lady client at a waterhole in the lowveldt, during a safari. We had to bring her in for surgery and treatment to a government research facility outside Pretoria, and I called Peter to see if we could stay with him and Fiona. He said he was a bit bored and could stand some company. We had just driven all night with the sick dog, and we had just completed a long safari with clients from France, and were exhausted when we arrived at his villa in Pretoria. Peter and Fiona made us welcome, and the next four days at Peter and Fiona’s were like a vacation in a grand Parisian hotel. They fed us like Kings, and we sometimes snuck out and grabbed a pizza. We shot pool or snooker in his pool room/office, where he wrote his many best sellers, his books and articles. We shot air rifles in the garden, shooting at empty 9mm brass cases. We talked of Africa, the Africa of old, and the new South Africa, and the Africa of tomorrow. He told me his favorite unpublished hunting stories, and I told my stories, and we discussed people he knew, and those we liked and those we did not like. It was strange we had come to the same conclusions independently.

While Peter was a man of Africa, he was still an American, and we talked endlessly about Africa and her wildlife, until he was ready for the sack. Peter liked to retire early, and after he bid us goodnight, I read those books of his that I did not own, and watched his extensive wildlife video collection, and videos of his hunts. He seemed to enjoy my company and was only to willing to sign, and in fact resigned and autographed several of his books he first signed in 1988 in the USA. He was very chuffed that I had purchased the first impression, first edition of his classic Death in the Long Grass. I gave Peter a small gift for putting us up, and putting up with us for almost a week while the dog healed. It was a videotape of my 1987 Elephant and Buffalo bowhunt in the Selous in Tanzania. Peter was fascinated with the video, and asked a hundred questions. After he hit the rewind button, he told me that he was amazed at the quality of the video, and after that it appeared my ratings with the former stockbroker rose 100 points. He then told my wife Donna Rae and I it was the best hunting video he had ever seen. Coming from Peter, it was an important and deeply appreciated compliment.

Peter was by and large a happy man, doing what he liked to do. There were times he gave the appearance of being grouchy, but it may have been due to health concerns. Peter loved people, and truly enjoyed them at times, but he treasured his tranquility and his very private home life. Peter was ever vigilant in his home, and carried his 9mm parabellum pistol from room to room as he moved about his home. He never forgot he was in Africa, and he never let his guard down. He told me the most dangerous animal in all of Africa walked on two legs. I think it was out of concern for his beautiful wife Fifi, as he called her and not so much for his own protection.
Speaking of firearms, he was very pleased that Art Alphin, honcho of A-Square Firearms, named his .470 Capstick after him. Peter was presented the first rifle made, which was a Winchester Model 70, and while I was visiting Peter, he told me he was forced to return his .470 Capstick to the Winchester factory for some minor repairs. There was a minor problem that might have slipped by a dozen professional hunters, but Peter found the glitch and had it corrected.

Peter told me he admired my guts, but not my intelligence, for bringing my lady to Africa at such a bad time, but he understood me. I think. Peter was quite surprised that I survived my first two years living in the remote bushveld of the Soutpansberg Mountains of the far Northern Transvaal of South Africa. Peter felt it was impossible for an American, like me, to become an outfitter and professional hunter in South Africa. Peter pointed out that old Rhodesia was, in many ways more civilized as far as culture, languages and security wise than modern South Africa was. In one of his books, Peter wrote that he had weekly letters from young Americans who aspired to become a professional hunter in Africa. Peter said in print “an American would have a better chance of winning the Victoria Cross than to become a professional hunter in Africa.†He told me with a wide smile “Tink, I think you have won the Victoria Cross and don’t yet know it.†I doubt if he knew that I knew what he was referring to, but I told him I knew the passage and treasured his comments. Peter was always kind and polite.

Peter was a kind man, and a truly caring person. At a hunter’s convention, I introduced him to a young black professional hunter, named Ross, who had been a classmate of mine at professional hunter’s school. As we took our seats, Peter became instantly aware that this young professional hunter had no one to sit with, as most of the tables were reserved or filled. Peter went to Ross, and insisted that Ross dine at his table next to Fiona. All real hunters were welcome at Peter’s table, and Peter was the classic U.V.A. gentleman. The University of Virginia, nicknamed U.V.A., produces gentlemen of the first water. Peter was a perfect gentleman to one and all. Peter was a kind man.

Peter once saved my life and when I thanked him, he made me promise never to mention it, since he didn’t want me to be embarrassed in having to tell the tale. Needless to say, I will always be in Peter’s debt. Peter did things other people would never do. He killed two Cape buffalo with a spear. Once to do it, and once again to prove it wasn’t a fluke. Peter had a dream from the time he was a small boy, and that was to go over to Africa to live. Peter lived out his dream, or was it his dream? Peter lived a life of adventure, then took the time to commit to his stories, and the stories of Africa, past and present, to the printed page. He was the world’s best storyteller.

Peter heard the stories we all do in Africa, but he captured them, edited, and polished them, and preserved them forever. Peter wrote twelve books, and sold more than any other hunting author in history. He made and appeared in many videos, so those who had never met him could someday see him on the small screen. Peter wrote stories for the French magazine FIRE, and for the leading South African hunting journal MAGNUM, as well as OUT THERE. It is said that Peter brought more hunters and people to Africa, though his works, than any other person. Peter not only wrote about Africa, but he lived Africa. Only someone who comes from far away can appreciate Africa. He spoke often about the people that were lucky enough to be born here and to live here a lifetime, seldom, if ever, appreciated in Africa. Peter did.

Writers and readers far more skilled than I, will discuss Capstick’s works well into the next century. However it was my wife that noticed his writing style, and pointed out to me that each paragraph told a story and his colorful writings jumped of the pages and bit deep into your soul when reading his work for the first time. A close friend told me that Peter was aware of some coronary circulatory problems as far back as two years, but avoided the confrontation with the cardiologist. I tracked his 1996 medical progress through a source outside of Fiona, and was relieved to hear the heart operation went well on March 5th, 1996. I sent him a get-well card that I am sure he never saw. Fiona told me that she had taken it to the hospital and that he really enjoyed hearing from me.

On Friday March 15th, I got the call about Peter’s death. I could not believe that Peter had left us. I could not accept that someone who was so vibrant and dynamic and full of life was gone. As I write this in April 1996, I am not yet over the shock. On March 16th, I wrote a letter and faxed it to some of the hunters and friends across the world that knew and loved Peter. It wasn’t much, but it was all I could think of at the time. I have the original folded and tucked away in one of his books that he had signed for me. It said something like this. Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away etc. Today Peter is on a hot spoor of a mighty black bull, in a land of dagga boy buffaloes, in a valley with massive elephants with thick tusks, and clever cats. Tonight Peter shares a small gleaming campfire with hunters from another time, such as Selous, Taylor, Bell, Harris and others. Peter was truly a son of Africa. Our prayers and thoughts go out to his devoted and beloved wife and soul mate, Fiona.

Peter was a giant of a man, with a heart as big as Africa, yet strong and straight as a new arrow. With out a doubt, Peter was one of the finest, if not the finest writer of our age. A man who turned his back on fortune, the family Hathaway shirt business, and went of into the jungles of Viet Nam to fight in freedoms name as a green beret officer, an American special forces soldier, and to Africa to fulfill a child’s dream. Peter, you did it all so bloody well too. You never got a client killed, you never got tossed in jail and you never stepped on a mamba. You lived your life, every second’s worth to THE MAX, and you were a gentleman the whole time. You were a man’s man, a man that women lionized, and you did America proud. You showed Africa just what could do when the chips were down. You took care of your clients, and hunted like a sportsman, with ethics and true responsibility.

There isn’t a good way to go out of this world, and while we both know you would have liked to go out in a tangle with a bull elephant, at least you were spared a long lingering struggle with a slow painful disease, and months of incarceration in a sterile, somber place of men in white suits, plastic pipes, needles and tanks of air. Hell Peter, you went out fighting. I choose to remember Peter as the well tanned, highly irrelevant, very witty and very funny guy who did his own thing, and didn’t “give a rats ass†about what other people thought. Peter had forgotten more about hunting than most people will ever learn. He loved African wildlife, and yet took endless delight in raising Koi, the oriental goldfish like creatures. He loved rifles, and all that go with them, yet he hunted with a bow and a spear, and loved all of nature, the good, the not so good, and the ugly.

Peter was one of the few truly happy people I have ever known. Peter was a hunter, and then a writer. Peter was a living legend in his own time, yet he was humble, simple and down to earth, a regular guy. Peter was a really nice guy, a super person, and I was fortunate to have had Peter as my friend. We will miss Peter.

Keep your powder dry, keep your nose in the wind, and watch your back trail, old friend.

Tink Nathan, Professional Hunter, Outfitter
9930 Hughes Ave.
Laurel, MD 20723-1744

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter heard the stories we all do in Africa, but he captured them, edited, and polished them, and preserved them forever.

That is a good summation...and I would much rather listen to, watch or read Capstick than Tink.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that Fionna has been approached about a Capstick biography project. It would involve an ex-wife and a number of people that have already crossed over. It would be very interesting to see it done well because there are people who never believe Capstick ever was a professional hunter. The original post had to do with whether PHC was ever a game control officer. I seem to remember someone who posted on this forum who had hunted or knew Capstick's boss in the Game Control Office. Apparently the game control officer stated that indeed PHC had for a short time filled in as a game control warden.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always hesitate to chime in to a thread like this where distinguished company has preceded me but I can't resist here. I was influenced to come to Africa (at 63)because of reading one of his books. (Ray Atkinson's post has it right) As to the rest of the stories, I agree with the ancient Romans; " De mortuis,nil nisi bonum".

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Tinks sojurn in South Africa !

Now there is a sad and rather tragic story to behold ! Frowner Frowner Frowner Tragic because from a bowhunting perspective at face value at the pinnacle of success to go to Africa to sink into obscurity and oblivion.

The South African hunting fraternity did not look favourably to Tink as a bowhunting hero at all, in fact he was viewed as something of a joke.

It was sad in a sense because Tink meant well, however his intentions and antics were not recieved well in that society.

You've spoken about Tink in the past tense. Has he died?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,the bottom line is you can say anything your big enough to get away with to a man, as long as its to his face, but once he has been put to rest, let it be...

PHC's works will be here when all of us are pushing up daiseys, and that is the stuff legends are made of..

Fiona is now married happily to one of the all time greats of Africa. They are both very good friends of mine, a man whos book written by Fiona as told to her by him, should inspire everyone.. P.H. Adelino Serras Pires, his story of imprisonment and torture in the hands of Mozambique officials is an inspiration to the human spirit, he warned George Hoffman to get out of East Africa just prior to his arrest, and George and Mary credited Adelino with saving their lives.

Adelino is now alive and well, but the scars of those years of torture and starvation at the hands of brutal savage people, have been etched into his face and into his soul. Both he and Fiona deserve the good life they are both now living...Her story is also one of greatness.

That book btw is The Winds of Havoc, available from Fiona or Adelino or St. Martin's press, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. , www.smartins.com

A must read for all African buffs and shows great insight from a boots on the ground patriot of Africa as to the political situation that is prevelent in many Afrian nations and is spreading like wildfire.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I dont know if Tink is still alive, the last I heard from him or of him he was back in the USA looking for that illusive soul mate. During his last years in Africa before returning to the USA he had some periodic health setbacks and also separated from Donna. His business was basically non existant and from what I gather the PH part of the equation did not work out. As to past tense what transpired in Africa was in the past!

Thanks. Tink's problems began long before he moved to South Africa.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Tink is still around. He lives in the Hill Country somewhere near Kerrville, Texas. I see him in town once in a while.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote