Find
Notify
Tools

Zim on land Hippo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Who can offer offer dry land Hippo hunts in Zim and which area?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where would one find a dry land hunt for Hippo as they spend most of the time in the water. I would think you could just try to catch one out and about.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you might find some dry land hippo opportunities in areas with lots of pans, like Nyakasanga, early in the season before the pans dried out too much.

We gave it a bit of an effort this May, and I believe with more time dedicated to it we would have had an opportunity, but time was short because we were struggling on elephants.

I gave a hippo quota to another hunter in camp because we were running out of time. He and his PH, Peter Wood, found a pan with a decent bull. The bull wouldn't show and their time was running short, so they approached the pan and began wading until the bull took offense and cam for them. The bull was in the water when killed, but not much water and it looked exciting as hell on video. Range was maybe 15 yds. The hunter was Steve Scott who does hunting TV shows and the hippo hunt will be on TV in about a year. Steve brained it with his first shot, using a 416 Rem.

JPK

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Safari operators seem to want to hang around the breakfast table till strong day light, but if you want a dry land hippo, you will be getting out before full daylight to catch the hippos coming back to water. We like to locate a pan that has hippo, and then come back the next morning to ambush him comeing home!
..............FUN!!!!!!!!!! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam,

I know this does not exactly answer your question but in my opinion Zambia may offer the best chance to kill a hippo on land while on a short 7-10 day hunt.

Zim has loads of hippos in the Zambesi but the Zambesi is a big river making the hippo more spread out and more difficult to hunt.

The Luangwa river in Zambia has a bio mass of hippo and croc that has to be seen to be believed but is a much smaller river than the Zambesi. Late in the season when the hippo are concentrated in the deeper pools you can see many coming back to the river at daylight. Also you can stalk hauled out hippos during the day. It may very well be a long belly crawl but completely possible. When the hippos are crowded the bulls get irritatble and fight often. The looser in these battles will pull out to get a break and therefore become vulnerable to a successful stalk.

If I wanted a hippo on land this is where I would try for one. Often in other places you cannot hunt hippo on a short schedule.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might get a hippo on land in a lot of places, but the Selous in Tanzania is known for the frequency it happens. I had a good friend bump into a monster bull in the late afternoon 3 miles from the Kilombero River.
There was no water around. It was just hanging out in thick brush for the shade. And based on the time of day, must have spent the whole day away from the river.
It's tough to target them on land, but I'd be looking at the Selous.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Adam,

I know this does not exactly answer your question but in my opinion Zambia may offer the best chance to kill a hippo on land while on a short 7-10 day hunt.

Zim has loads of hippos in the Zambesi but the Zambesi is a big river making the hippo more spread out and more difficult to hunt.

The Luangwa river in Zambia has a bio mass of hippo and croc that has to be seen to be believed but is a much smaller river than the Zambesi. Late in the season when the hippo are concentrated in the deeper pools you can see many coming back to the river at daylight. Also you can stalk hauled out hippos during the day. It may very well be a long belly crawl but completely possible. When the hippos are crowded the bulls get irritatble and fight often. The looser in these battles will pull out to get a break and therefore become vulnerable to a successful stalk.

If I wanted a hippo on land this is where I would try for one. Often in other places you cannot hunt hippo on a short schedule.

Mark

I'll let you know how this works out in a about a month. When I inquired with Laura about taking our hippos on land she said it was difficult but we were welcome to give a try, which we intend to do in about 2 weeks.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I caught this guy napping with the rest of his pod on the banks of the Zambezi in Nyakasanga.

I haven't heard it mentioned as a hunting method, but it seems hippos come out of the water for a rest during the day for a nap. That's how we caught mine, and there was another pod right outside our camp that napped on an island every afternoon. Maybe bot the same excitement as catching one coming back to the water in the morning, but still a dry land hunt.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info thus far.
Mark,
How very true about the big numbers of Hippo in the Luangwa (certainly in the adjacent South Luangwa Nat Park).
A good friend wants one but I'm trying to persuade him into a buff hunt with me.
Did get close to one in the Jesse of Omay north once.
Early or late season for the on land Hippo?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might contact Gordon Duncan of Doma Safaris, or, Glen Stockil of Shaangan Hunters. Gordon hunts in the Doma area, and Glen hunts in the lowveldt.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote