New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irvin Barnhart
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Irvin Barnhart has passed away in Houston. He was one of the most prolific safari hunters of our time. His trophy room is on the cover of Great Trophy Rooms volume 1. I hunted in Venitia (RSA) shortly after Irving and his wife Wendy hunted there and it was Irvin's 100th African safari. He could have written a very interesting book. MMP

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In addition to being an avid hunter he was a great supporter of both the Houston Safari Club and SCI Houston. The shooting and hunting community in Houston will miss him. Condolences to his family.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He was the 1993 Weatherby Award winner.

I don't think he was a very old man. Not sure what he did for a living, but man did he ever hunt the world.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to a google search he was shopping center developer in Houston. I am glad he chose hunting as a way to enjoy his money.

Posts: 71 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I worked with Irvin and other members of the SCI record book committee when I was the club's publications director years ago. He and Wendy traveled and hunted around the world together.

Irvin was not interested in writing a book (or having one written) about himself. I know, because I offered several times to help him with it. It is a shame because he had many great stories that could have been told.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I had the great privilege to take a SAAM class with Irvin at the FTW ranch. There were only the two of us in that class, to say we had a great teacher/student ratio, would be an understatement! I am thinking it was early March 2007 or 2008.

The man was a pleasure to shoot with, have a pint with and share stories with. On the last day, we had German chocolate cake for breakfast, and went out and shot the very best round of our lives. We each thought the other had shot a perfect score, knowing we each had missed a shot ourselves. Turned out that we neither had seen the other miss, due to shooting at the same time in opposite directions.

After much congratulating each other on the others apparent perfect score, we were informed of the totals, and had a hearty laugh over it once the truth was known.

I will miss seeing him at the shows and SCI Hill Country auctions.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anyone hear anything about Cecil Hopper??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68600 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irvin was a good guy and devoted to promoting safari through Houston SC, SCI and various other clubs that he was involved with. I was privileged to spend a bit of time with Irvin in recent years and I will always cherish the cocktail parties we shared in his trophy rooms... what an incredible place ... 350+ species - a lifetime of hunting and travel.

RIP Irvin, I'll have a margarita for you.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: If you're inquiring about the Cecil Hopper who was in Houston and had a wildlife museum, he passed away some years ago. He was still active in the Houston Safari Club and we had a meeting at his museum and for a one person museum it was extensive. Irvin's house and "trophy room" was just incredible. MMP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone post pics of his trophy room?

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dog, go to Conroe Taxidermy web site, then click on 360 degree tours, there you will find Irvin's trophy displays.

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never met the man but did have a single dealing with him when he was on the record book committee.

I shot a bush buck in 1991. I registered it for the record book. Something I no longer do. Well, about 15 years AFTER I shot the bush buck, I got a letter from Irvin asking for a bunch of additional information. I wrote back and said, "Surely you are kidding." Never heard another word. I couldn't stop laughing.

RIP.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I never met the man but did have a single dealing with him when he was on the record book committee.

I shot a bush buck in 1991. I registered it for the record book. Something I no longer do. Well, about 15 years AFTER I shot the bush buck, I got a letter from Irvin asking for a bunch of additional information. I wrote back and said, "Surely you are kidding." Never heard another word. I couldn't stop laughing.
What was the issue with clarifying past record book entries?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Royce:
Dog, go to Conroe Taxidermy web site, then click on 360 degree tours, there you will find Irvin's trophy displays.

http://www.conroetaxidermy.com...M/html/barnhart.html

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

What was the issue with clarifying past record book entries?

I can't remember it was so long ago. I think the question was on the species of bush buck. Given the length of time that has passed, I am not 100% certain.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote